Best spot for beds?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaHunter

Best spot for beds?

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Looking for some pre-scount/hunt advice on a new spot on public land. I plan on just finding the fresh sign and hunting right away, but before I even go in, I'm looking for your advice on the 3 points/bends in this creek. Seems like a buck would bed on one of these with a W or SW wind. All spots look to have some deer trails going into them, but the most southern spot looks to have more trails. I included a couple zoomed out pics of the 4 spots and then below I have zoomed in pics of the 3 spots separately.

Zoomed out pic of the 3 points/bends in the creek where the buck might bed up against...

Top spot

Middle Spot

Bottom spot

Thoughts and recommendations? Would a buck bed there on anything other than a Westerly wind? There's not much elevation change other than the slight rise where the woods begins.

Thanks guys!

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Re: Best spot for beds?

Unread postby wibow » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Which direction and how are you accessing this? If that creek is deep enough to canoe/kayak checking out cross spots for tracks is a start. That bottom pic with the broken up mini islands looks interesting. One thing to keep in mind are the bucks that bed with visuals of the waterway so without knowing where they are this is a tough call. Might have to burn a few bridges to gain the knowledge for future hunts. Your entry on this is going to be key. Goodluck man.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Bucks typically bed in the oxbows.... watch for fallen trees and brush along creek bends/oxbows

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Ill be accessing from the West or Northwest....which is perfect.Ill be checking this spot out next week. If I see fresh sign at the transition (and don't get spotted), Ill setup on the edge there where the trails meet the wood edge. A buck would likely only bed there on a westerly wind, no? No easy access from the east and no canoes on the creek ever

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:16 am

All 3 of those oxbows look awesome... I would hunt each one consecutively.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”