beast hunting from the ground

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: beast hunting from the ground

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
dan wrote:I planned out a ground hunt yesterday with my new Huntmore chair and was disappointed to find that the only other car in the parking lots hunter was perched 10 feet in a tree right next to where I wanted to hunt. So, the dilema comes when now I need to enact plan two, and since 99% of the set ups are out of a treestand, there I stand 30 minutes away from the truck without a treestand... This is something I had not considered when thinking about ground hunts. Cause I opften end up somewhere other than at the designated kill spot based on sign or pressure.

So what did you do Dan? Did you find another spot to try, or did you just pack up and leave?

I hunted a spot next to the road.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Anyone have any luck ground hunting this year? Seems like I can get to spots others dont because nobody can put up a stand problem is I havent seen ne deer from ground? Am I the only one?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Ive been exploring ground hunting a ton this year. Ive gotten onto a lot of deer i never could have hunted with a stand. It definitely has a place in my .

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Well that gives me a little hope. Some spots im on look great just not sein the deer

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I had a great year on the ground last season and had some great big buck encounters. This year I killed a buck on opening day (from my stand) so didn't put nearly as much into ground hunting. You can bet I will be doing more in the future. Last year really opened up my eyes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I plan on hunting on the ground in the morning... I found a natural spot in a clump of oaks, I've had succsess on the ground before... And know it works , if you blend in with the natural cover... If all goes as planned, should have a good buck down as planned... Gonna post in between doe bedding and where the ol boy beds on the ridge, followed his tracks this morning, and if he strolls by again tommorrow he's toast ... Good luck to all on the ground and in a tree tommorrow!!

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Do u guys do anything differently or "out of the norm" while huntin from the ground

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:29 pm

I try and set up behind a bush for cover and you really need to draw back before the deer gets within range. With my new ghillie suit im amazed how close im getting on deer. I passed on a small 8 point on tues that i got the draw on at 11 yards.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:46 pm

brkissl82 wrote:Do u guys do anything differently or "out of the norm" while huntin from the ground

Clumps of brush near bedding areas. This year I started using my Marc Anthony Ghillie Suit but only used it twice so far. First time ever using it I had a doe feeding on brush less than 10 yards from me and was looking right past me totally unaware I was there. Later that night a small buck came out of the bedding area and walked past me only saw me at the last second because I was messing with my camera.

liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:18 am

I use all natural cover for hunting the ground. I have just recently went full time ground hunting. Holly cow i have had some awesome moments!!! I havent connected yet, but im pretty sure i will saturday morning. Like others have said on this post i try to use root balls of trees and what ever else that blocks the deers view from seeing me draw. Try it, you will have a rush of your life, believe me!!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:39 am

I carry a small set of hand pruners with me. You can clip a few small branches with leaves on them and stick them in the ground in front of me. Not to build a blind mind you, but just to help break up your outline. I also bought one of those ASAT 3D suits. Blends in well.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Southern Man wrote:I carry a small set of hand pruners with me. You can clip a few small branches with leaves on them and stick them in the ground in front of me. Not to build a blind mind you, but just to help break up your outline. I also bought one of those ASAT 3D suits. Blends in well.

That works really good I did that last week , I set-up on a fenceline up against a railroad post, stuck in some branches and got 2 bucks in at 10 yards , never knew I was there.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm

What about mature bucks? Have you had close encounters w those from the ground?

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Yes.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Awesome! Lifts my spirits!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”