New Spot - What would you do?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

New Spot - What would you do?

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Would you scout more or hunt more, right now, if you just found a good piece to hunt?

It's a public marsh with all the makings of a spot that holds bucks. It has tough wet terrain which keeps people out of large parts of it, I'm sure. Crops surround it on some of the sides. There are a lot of deer in the area.

I worked with a HB prostaffer to identify likely locations for beds using aerial images. I'd like to do some more of that.

I have good spots in November up in the 'big woods' so this public marsh near home is just a huge bonus to bed hunt with my bow in October.

Let me know what you'd do! Thanks --

Dewey

Re: New Spot - What would you do?

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm

If the wind is good I would scout with stand on my back and set up on hot sign right away. If you did some cyber scouting you should have a pretty good idea where the bedding is. Only go in as far as you plan to set up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 pm

can't shoot them sitting on the couch.
I'm in a similar situation. new area with no previous scouting.
I'm just diving right in.
I was just scouting aerials of a new area and will be hunting there tomorrow night.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Put your stand on your back and go hunt. Go early in case the sign in the spot you plan to hunt is cold and you have to move onto the next spot. I think marshes are pretty predictable on where the deer will be so I don't think I would spend a lot of time scouting except maybe walking the outer edge looking for large tracks coming out of the marsh.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:16 pm

I am hunting a similar situation on a property I drew an early season hunt on... No prior to season scouting allowed. I have been figuring out bedding by cyber scouting and have been staging my hunts across the property going a little deeper each time from bedding area to bedding area...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:57 pm

I agree with the others, Tom. Dan mentioned starting on the outside and working your way in which is what I always try to do as well. It keeps you from burning more than one great looking bedding area at a time and helps stack the interior beds. Always play the weather and conditions.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:50 am

Hunt! I've hit new spots every year, been to 3 already this season. When the wind isn't right for my best early season stuff I improvise. It's also fun to dive into a new area with the stand on your back and go where the sign takes you or just setup on gut instinct. I've never closed the deal on a buck this way but have had several encounters and found some great new areas.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:02 am

This is exactly what I needed to know. Scout from the air from home and hunt from the outside in, accordingly. I'll get to know the rest of the place better in March/April...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”