Other "hunters" moving in.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Other "hunters" moving in.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:04 am

dan wrote:
That is crazy! Complete loser.....and then to brag about it. I'd be shocked if he kills a buck.

He did... He shot a 9 point buck from the stand I saw him in. Thats why he was out of his stand early, to go get help, Im sure he waited till I was gone... I go thru this every year, and it gets worse every year.

Time to start borrowing your buddies vehicles..........it's nice to be an anonymous nobody :lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:15 am

So I used a different vehicle AND set up watching my back trail. I could see a section of road a couple hundred yards away, this road gets almost zero traffic. But on this day it was pretty busy and it was the same truck back and forth. I think it was my stalkers, but not sure as I don't know all of their vehicles. I'm just going to hunt hard and control the things I can. If one of these d-bags pushes things too far I'll deal with it then. No sense to sit and worry about it.
SteveD

Unread postby SteveD » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:59 pm

If its bad now Imagine what it will get like when the crossbow gets in use, more hunters,pressure etc.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 pm

SteveD wrote:If its bad now Imagine what it will get like when the crossbow gets in use, more hunters,pressure etc.

I seriously doubt crossbows will change much of anything.
Northlake

Unread postby Northlake » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 pm

I thought I was the only person who decoyed other hunters or got dropped off on public pieces so the local idiots don't leech off my hard work. Don't understand how someone can feel pride and accomplishment from putting in no work to possibly shoot a deer. Just sat one of my favorite rut cruising areas for the second time and after only seeing a few deer both times I knew something was up. Put up a camera and sure enough heres what I thought was a trusted friend that I took there once to hunt with me on the camera... Whoever thought being a successful hunter would be so frustrating :lol:
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:13 am

When I was in Fl. I hunted almost the whole state's public lands, then picked out one real big track fairly close to home..40mi...and I made a point to learn that property and make it my "home field".

I did real good in there with big bucks..for Fl. and it wasn't long before I noticed areas where I used to be the only truck parked were now getting filled up with vehicles. People notice when you're checking out big deer at the check station. However, I didn't really care because I hunted a real long ways from the roads..in there it was a long bust your but wide open bike ride through hog rooted trails, dodging cypress knees about 6" high, in the dark..broke my toe opening morning one yr smashing it between my bike peddle and a cypress knee..., old tram roads, cross two creeks half way up the bike..would ride across them..wasn't time to get off and push and make back in there before daylight.. and about 4 more miles down a two path wooded, sandy, road to get where I'd leave my bike and start the walk to whichever area I was hunting.

This was a no vehicle area...bikes or walk...so I figured if anybody wanted to follow me they would probably be someone like myself that loved deer hunting and we'd probably get along. I was half right. Had a real bad problem with one guy that I even helped get started back in there. I finally just said to heck with the area and let him have it..he kept getting closer and closer to me and got so close we would sit in our tree stands and stare at each other. That's public land though.

The area I hunt now in S. IL. behind my house I go most days over a mile up and down steep ridges and haven't seen another hunter back in there in the 6yrs I hunted it...from the amount of deer I've been seeing lately I might know why...but it's worth it to me.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:59 pm

i run into it ALL the time...im to the point i cant get a season to myself...

one of my spots now has AT LEAST 4 stands in it RIGHT NOW...this is a patch of woods that is maybe 400yds by 100yds..its not a very big piece at ALL...but its a HOT SPOT...surrounded by bedding and crops..it went completely overlooked until i started hunting it...well, 1 guy hunted it and knew it was a hot spot...

i am not a known big buck killer or anything...but 2 things here....1, if someone else parks/hunts there "it must be fair game" and 2 "it must be a good hunting spot"

then, i got another kid that literally DOES follow me around...he is a "family friend" and doesnt know a lick about deer hunting...when i was working out of state i know he hunted my spots and laughed about it....now, this year he "happened" to show up at the same farm i was hunting EVERY time he hunted...and has the "nerve" to complain that i wouldnt TELL him WHERE specifically i was hunting! "i didnt wanna go hunt the same spot as him!" he cries...so you see my truck...you know the farms are SMALL...GO TO ANOTHER FARM!

im at the end of the rope...i cant stay ahead of the pressure....the pressure follows me...the deer end up highly nocturnal and pushed into peoples backyards..

i REALLY need to learn to get it done EARLY...first week or 2...as we have a TON of hunters that dont come out of the wood work "till the rut"

i already go out of my way to either HIDE my truck or park it in stupid obvious places and then hiking to those hidden places..or a ways down the road when if i was hunting there i should have parked there...but they still find me...i dont mark trails...i dont leave stands...

its frustrating...i really dont know what to do....my hope is i land a job and get surrounded by great hunting and less pressure....can wish in one hand and poop in the other....we know what hand fills up first! i just need to learn to deal with it and get it done early...

pressure is so high and so spread out that its pretty much impossible to find places no one goes (that is legal for me to hunt) and use their pressure to my advantage...
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 am

Far from an expert or celebrity, and a couple of these spots are over a mile hike one way. I also don't think I own the spots, but when it happens year after year, different spots, same guys, something is fishy

No question that you are being folllowed. Start varying your routes. A tactic i use to eliminate this is you can burn them by turning down a dead end road or into a random driveway and turn around real quick and see who's following you. Varying your routes and being conscious of being followed makes a big difference. Just some things i learned in my past life. Not only is it messed up that they're following you in the woods, it's creepy as well. Watch your back brother...
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 am

hoyt wrote:When I was in Fl. I hunted almost the whole state's public lands, then picked out one real big track fairly close to home..40mi...and I made a point to learn that property and make it my "home field".

I did real good in there with big bucks..for Fl. and it wasn't long before I noticed areas where I used to be the only truck parked were now getting filled up with vehicles. People notice when you're checking out big deer at the check station. However, I didn't really care because I hunted a real long ways from the roads..in there it was a long bust your but wide open bike ride through hog rooted trails, dodging cypress knees about 6" high, in the dark..broke my toe opening morning one yr smashing it between my bike peddle and a cypress knee..., old tram roads, cross two creeks half way up the bike..would ride across them..wasn't time to get off and push and make back in there before daylight.. and about 4 more miles down a two path wooded, sandy, road to get where I'd leave my bike and start the walk to whichever area I was hunting.

This was a no vehicle area...bikes or walk...so I figured if anybody wanted to follow me they would probably be someone like myself that loved deer hunting and we'd probably get along. I was half right. Had a real bad problem with one guy that I even helped get started back in there. I finally just said to heck with the area and let him have it..he kept getting closer and closer to me and got so close we would sit in our tree stands and stare at each other. That's public land though.

I don't get it. Isn't that man-law? Do your own homework? I don't see how guys get anything out of hunting if they're just riding on the coat tails of some other man's hard work. Not cool. I'd be furious if I had a problem like that.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm gonna start keeping a dog box in my truck and wear blaze orange around while driving, and put some pheasants forever and quail stickers on my truck.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:12 pm

keb wrote:I'm gonna start keeping a dog box in my truck and wear blaze orange around while driving, and put some pheasants forever and quail stickers on my truck.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I don't know if you want to do that,Keb. I've heard the complaint from bird hunters that other bird hunters seem to be attracted to parked trucks. It's like they have no confidence in their own choices either..."If HE thinks it's a good spot,it must be better than where I'd planned on going"....You might get more company than you'd like.

Same problem fishing.

I bypass lots with a "Bone Collector"-type bumpersticker on a truck but I'll hunt there if I see one that says "my English setter's smarter than your honor student".
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 am

VA5326 wrote:
hoyt wrote:When I was in Fl. I hunted almost the whole state's public lands, then picked out one real big track fairly close to home..40mi...and I made a point to learn that property and make it my "home field".

I don't get it. Isn't that man-law? Do your own homework? I don't see how guys get anything out of hunting if they're just riding on the coat tails of some other man's hard work. Not cool. I'd be furious if I had a problem like that.

Believe me, I did a lot of things..left toilet paper under the tree he moved his stand to so he would have no doubt what happened there..and I don't know how he stood the ammonia smell on his Tree Lounge as many times as nature called when I'd just happen to walk by it locked to the base of the tree. Scraped all the bark off the pine tree it was in with a machete as high as I could reach for sap to run............ask him if he got his mail delivered there...but it's public land and not worth going to jail over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”