Hunting with teens

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mnbowmanmark

Hunting with teens

Unread postby mnbowmanmark » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 am

I took my two boys out bow hunting this weekend and we set up two ground blinds, my experience with the blind was not favorable the problem is caring the blind and all the gear we were hunting just outside of some tall reeds so we had a good spot but I would prefer to hunt out of stands. The biggest problem is there is no way I can put up 3 tree stands is there a better way to go about hunting with my kids? Is there easy stands to put up? Just need some advice.
Thanks

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Hunting with teens

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 am

Not a lot of options.

When my cousins and I were that age, we'd get in early. As kids, we were always encouraged to try to set up on our own. We "lined up" a lot more back in those days. Put a hunter on every runway for a good wind. Kids were set up first and picked up on the way out.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:19 am

Welcome to the site. Try using nature's ground blind such as some deadfall. When I was starting bow hunting, I had nothing but a bow and some arrows, did not have a tree stand. I would sit on a little folding chair inside a tree top laying on the ground to break up my outline. It worked pretty well, had some good encounters.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 am

I used to put up 3 stands when I would take my daughters hunting. It was a good experience for them. Fun for me but it's pretty hard to be effective hunting that way.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 am

If they cant handle setting up hangon's on there own get them climbers. Anyone should be able to use a climber. I started with a climber hunting by myself when I was 11 yrs old. Most kids like climbing trees

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Hunting from the ground is a good teacher. I started my boys that way and kept them on it for a couple years.

When they started stand hunting, I used presets. But I had private land to let them hunt on. It was nerve racking getting them started. Bein a dad I was worried about them falling but they did fine. When hangin the presets, I always had them with me.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree with Adrenaline

Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:04 am

My kids started gun hunting on the ground. For bow they used a climber. I stayed by the tree until he was sitting, harnessed in, and ready to go. He wasn't allowed to get down until I got back. We also practiced a couple times during summer so he'd be comfortable when it counted. He's now 16 and he has an Assault and sticks of his own. He even does his own scouting now. I'm pretty comfortable with his abilities in the woods.

mnbowmanmark

Unread postby mnbowmanmark » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm

I am thinking of setting up some fabric blinds they would be light but no top easy to set up fast the only problem is movement.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 pm

mnbowmanmark wrote:I am thinking of setting up some fabric blinds they would be light but no top easy to set up fast the only problem is movement.

I use to carry (and still do) a pair of small hand pruners. I'd cut some leafy limbs and stick them in the ground in a spot with good back cover. Great way to make a quick blind that looks natural. Better than pop up blinds or some type of material that doesn't really match in my opinion. Movement is still an issue but they need to realize that anyway. I love hunting off the ground.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”