WHERE R U HUNTING!!!! whatcha gonna do?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

WHERE R U HUNTING!!!! whatcha gonna do?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 am

Fellow public land participants, r u ready for the circus act on heavy pressure areas? Have you rehearsed your answers to questions or made plans to avoid them? Will it matter where you park?

How would you respond to the following? As you grab your equipment for an afternoon of bowhunting, a truck with three guys in it roars up to you! One of them rolls his window down and is the size of an NFL lineman... minus being well groomed with plenty of teeth.
"WHERE ARE YOU HUNTING?!?" he roars at you with an evil scowl on his face.

whatcha gonna do? whatcha gonna say?

On another day, you have finished an afternoon hunt and made it back in the dark to your truck. You are loading everything into the back when you see headlights from another truck. Right before it gets to you the driver turns on his high beams and whips the truck off the road with the headlights right on you and he slams to a stop ten feet away... blinded by the lights, you hear a guy yell- "did ya see anything? where were you hunting?" ... no idea how many guys are in the truck...

whatcha gonna do? whatcha gonna say?

please share, fellow Beasts- have you found yourself in a situation with something similar? were you prepared? things of this nature are part of the game on the heavy pressure public...

do you hide your truck? does it actually work? do you park with the masses in a big lot and beat everyone in and make sure you are the last one out?

hunter_mike

Re: WHERE R U HUNTING!!!! whatcha gonna do?

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:14 am

My answer to a question in that situation would be a very vague and inaccurate one but enough so he doesn't ask much more. Just about everyone i have run into has been pretty harmless. In the first situation if i would wait till they leave and mess with my gear or pretend to play with my phone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:40 am

I try to stick to the first one in and last one out plan, works 95% of the time. Most interactions I have with others are pretty friendly, if I run into guys in the parking lot I usually try to get a feel for where they are hunting or what direction they are hunting so I don't get in their way. They never hunt the same spots I do so it's not much of an issue. Coming out of the woods I lie through my teeth if I can, just about always hunting on that ridge or over that hill not too far away.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 am

I have never seen anything when a stranger asks.... :D . Heck for that matter I never even see anything when my buddies ask! :D Unless I am gonna need help tracking and/or dragging. Now the kids are old enough to help out if needed. So I am sure I will never see anything again. Is this the "right" answer to give...maybe not but I learned long ago that even a friend might be tempted to sit spots I worked to find etc.... Even lost a killer spot because a guy I knew decided he could hunt a farm I had gained permission without me. I lost that privilege when the farmer questioned him and he said he knew me......Never again. And I wont say where I am hunting. I might say things like "over that way" or something.
Last edited by Pullintoobs on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 am

Wow, I don't envy yall's hunting season at all :mrgreen: I have had people stop and talk to me but not much. Most of the time I give vague answers and be friendly.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:09 am

Well I've never had that problem. One spot I hunt everybody goes on the east side so they don't have to walk that far and more trees. The side I usually go is a little bit of a walk and less trees.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 am

I am always the first guy in and the last one out so I never have to deal with this problem! :mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 pm

You dont say anything

Literally
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Generally speaking I am usually the first in and last out, but I will occasionally run into other hunters at the parking area. I always tell the truth in a politician sort of way, then I proceed to let them know I am new to this and ask if they have any pointers. Usually guys can't help themselves and will proceed to tell you how to be a successful bowhunter. I always listen.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 pm

headgear wrote:I try to stick to the first one in and last one out plan, works 95% of the time. Most interactions I have with others are pretty friendly, if I run into guys in the parking lot I usually try to get a feel for where they are hunting or what direction they are hunting so I don't get in their way. They never hunt the same spots I do so it's not much of an issue. Coming out of the woods I lie through my teeth if I can, just about always hunting on that ridge or over that hill not too far away.

Big X2 for me!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I'll stay on the private opening weekend. Start working my local public spots mid-week.

As for my public land spots in SW WI, its generally in early and out late. Mainly because my approach is generally long! I have a few buddies in the those local areas. If convenient, I have them drop me off and pick me up. Especially on the MFL open pieces. Guys have come to recognize my truck. I don't like that.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm

I try to park where it looks like I am hunting something good but I am actually no where near where one would think even if it means extra half or mile walk. I get there real early before most even get up and walk down road sometimes, I have jumped in the ditch to hide from vehicles.

It's a war out there, one must become a warrior to stand a fighting chance.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Dewey wrote:I am always the first guy in and the last one out so I never have to deal with this problem! :mrgreen:

Shoot while the wrong group of dog hunters are in the woods. They will wait for you at your truck and take the deer claiming you shot it in front of their dogs.

Been there done that, not fun.

They were kind enough to cut off a rear hind quarter(hide and all) and toss it at my feet before they left with my buck...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:21 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
Dewey wrote:I am always the first guy in and the last one out so I never have to deal with this problem! :mrgreen:

Shoot while the wrong group of dog hunters are in the woods. They will wait for you at your truck and take the deer claiming you shot it in front of their dogs.

They were kind enough to cut off a rear hind quarter(hide and all) and toss it at my feet before they left with my buck...

Wow. I've dealt with guys that said they shot it first, but that there is a new all time low.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:29 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:

Sounds like something right out of Deliverance!! :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”