Iowa turkey Hunt/Scouting Mission.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Iowa turkey Hunt/Scouting Mission.

Unread postby keb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 am

well I got up there friday, walked from daylight to dark fri,sat and sunday. Check my spots I picked on the map, as well as just random walking looking for sign, over looked stuff.

Found a dead 154 inch ten with dried velvet still on some of the tines. So it looks awsome, it gets hunted, but what dont. Turkeys every where, I spotted checkd a group everyday I seen, and they would work this ridge top with a field shaped like a hour glass, so there was a skinny pinch in the middle they walked thru strutting looking for hens, it was freshly burnt grass, 1 mile from the road so you cant see them from the road.

Long strory short, I alomost have to use a blind with my recurve, so I decided to just tuck it up under a cedar brush it in, wait for them to show up and wack them when them walked thru the pinch (Logging road). I saw a few guys around simce it was 1st shotgun season, I decdied not to put out a decoy, just wait.

I called in three toms they came running got to 10 yards and stated getting squirrley, they could see no hen, I had a shot at one walking away, but as I was getting read to drop the string the middle one gobbled and started to strut, so I am like they are going to calm down and offer a better shot, and walk right past me in the open, there were some small sappling and big old hedge post and a woven wire fence they were behind. They need to move about 5 feet. They decided they had enough, and left.

About a 1hr later I see another tom out in the field, he is in ninja mode never gobbled, strutted a few times, he was about 70 yards out, I clucked once and started scrattching in the leaves. He came in to under 20 yards, but I had put a cedar branch in the way, no shot.

I had to return home early, my kids car was parked and got hit by a drunk diver (totaled the car) so my hunt was cut short. But all in all, 4 public land easterns under 20 yards on a place I been to once, the 150 inch buck and all the spots I found It was a sucess in my book.

JAB
500 Club

Re: Iowa turkey Hunt/Scouting Mission.

Unread postby JAB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:45 am

It sounds like you had a good trip Keb. Sorry to hear about the car.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
keb
500 Club

Re: Iowa turkey Hunt/Scouting Mission.

Unread postby keb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 am

Thanx, I found one thing worse than hunting public land dealing with used car dealers!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”