Another great scout

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Another great scout

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:40 am

After having an amazing scouting trip last weekend I got to make a return trip yesterday. Picked up where I left off. I left the knob where I found a buck bed and the ridgeline drops down a bit and creates a land bridge/pinch point. On top was a really good rub line. Where the land bridge came up to another high point on the ridge we found a buck bed.

What was interesting is this bed wasnt on a point. But with a west wind rolling over the high point and a cut to the North and a cut to the south coming up to it, it made like a super wind tunnel. You couldnt get anywhere near that bed without him knowing it. Great spot. Here are a couple rubs close by.

I have started keeping track of a lot of other beds we find but don't show consistent use. I think it will pay to know these areas but arent really of much interest for hunting. On top of the high point above the buck bed we found a doe bedding area. Several scrapes in the area and good cross trails. As we swung to the south side of the ridgeline to check out some subtle points there was bedding but nothing to amazing. I did however find one more good one. The first pic shows what a lot of our ridgelines have. Its hard to find beds because this moss covers large areas and bare spots are naturally on the ground.

If you notice at the bottom of the pic the moss isnt as bright green. Thats what caught my eye. Found some hair proving my suspicion. Its a bed that gets decent use. The moss under the bed is yellowish from lack of sunlight. Hard to find but not as bad after we figured this out.

All in all another great scout. We are just shy of halfway back on the ridgeline. Not sure how much father I can make it before the weather makes where I cant go but have found some good spots already. Very anxious for bow season. Stil trying to figure out how to get a slob out this fall.

Dewey

Re: Another great scout

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:45 am

Looks like a productive scout! Must be nice to be snow free. Been so long here I forgot what the ground looks like! :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Lookin good. Hope it pays off in the fall.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Good job! Your hard work will pay off!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

I hope so I have walked my tail off. I feel like I have scouted so hard this spring but I've only been out 4 times. This weekend will probably be the last time I get to scout. We have walked atleast 3 miles everytime out, ofcourse there is mile walk back just to get to the front edge of the ridge. I got a late start this spring and this is my first time trying the beast method. As off right now I have 3 heavy buck beds I plan to hunt. I have also located 3 areas that will be great pinchpoints to hunt when the bucks are cruising. I'm really anxious for bow season, the most excited I've been about it in a few years. The back 1/3 of the ridgeline will probably have to wait till next winter to be scouted but you can only do so much.

DEERSLAYER we have plenty of room for you down here, hopefully we can draw a quota hunt tag.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Good stuff, I'm dieing to get out scouting.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 am

Lookn good. I agree with you Swampthing I'm also waiting for this snow to leave spring just doesn't want to come.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”