hunting 2 way rublines in deep woods of PA

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: hunting 2 way rublines in deep woods of PA

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:57 pm

just curious what part of the state....northcentral PA?

mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 am

I'm not sure when they are made exactly as I've found them post season scouting. They very well could be made during the early,mid,or late season. I'm hoping to put some time in there this year, first few days of November. I'm hoping I'll be able to slowly put this puzzle together. My best guess would lean towards a cruising route, connecting one side of ridge to the other in the quickest/shortest/safest way possible....but I could be wrong as I am quite a bit when chasing mature mountain bucks.
dan wrote:Reading back thru this post Im thinking its a rut travel / cruising rub line... Are the rubs all from around cruising time? or early / late season as well?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DO WORK SON!
mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 am

Tioga county.
Josh_S wrote:just curious what part of the state....northcentral PA?

DO WORK SON!
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:41 pm

What im noticed about hunting pa mountain bucks in potter county is that two way rub lines usually are rut rublines. Ive never aeen a rub line yet two way in the earlier part of the season. Not saying it doesnt happen but i just havnt seen it.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:12 am

I stumbled across a scenario very similar to this, with obvious rub lines going two specific directions and it all connected doe bedding areas. There were varying rub heights but the most dominant buck that was claiming the area seemed to have most of the rubs or would rub on top of another one. I'll try to see if I have pics, there were several hundred rubs within a couple hundred yards connecting 3 different doe bedding areas.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mastermind

Unread postby mastermind » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:14 am

Very interesting observations... since I've never hunted that exact rubbline it's hard to tell exactly when they are made, but all I know is those trees were definitely a yearly travel route as evidence of old rubs along the route. I know here in upstate NJ I've seen a few bucks walking rublines in middle of October as that's when I'm usually hunting up there. I guess without actually witnessing or from the use of trail cameras it's all just a guess as to when bucks use certain rublines. Hopefully one day I can get up there and find out.

DO WORK SON!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:16 am

Twenty Up wrote:I stumbled across a scenario very similar to this, with obvious rub lines going two specific directions and it all connected doe bedding areas. There were varying rub heights but the most dominant buck that was claiming the area seemed to have most of the rubs or would rub on top of another one. I'll try to see if I have pics, there were several hundred rubs within a couple hundred yards connecting 3 different doe bedding areas.

Yep they will connect doe bedding but you can also find buck beds there, most the two way rub lines I find always seem to lead to quality bedding areas. From there I just have to figure out where the does area and see where the bucks like to hang out. They are often close to does, they can smell the does, or they are setup to smell travel routes to and from doe bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”