The New Dynamic !!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

The New Dynamic !!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 am

Looking for some big woods input from y’all… as far as your approach and exit, seasonal timing, stand location, anything you feel is important… here’s some history on this spot:
*top of the the topo map is north
*my approach is from the SouthEast. The SE approach is really the only “feasible” route, as the South side of the bluff is nearly vertical rock and every other direction is wilderness. There are no roads to approach from in other directions.
*each contour line on the map is a 50 foot change in elevation, this bluff is steep and rises up over 350 feet from the mainland.
*The red oval I drew on top is a natural spring bubbling up from deep within the bluff… water on top of the bluffs is very rare in this region. The blue lines are a creek that flows from the spring down each side of the bluff, the entire waterway up and over is a saddle.
*bonus- the only oak trees I have found in this area, three of them mature enough to produce acorns, grow right next to the spring.
*the deer population is very low here, and the buck sign I have observed is up and down the bluff from one side to the other, following the creek. the saddle separates doe families for travelling bucks. I have found very little sign of buck bedding on top of the bluff, although it must exist at least on occasion.
*this area holds world class bucks, I have been within 50 feet of a buck that I believe would easily "net" over 180" as a typical and dress over 300 lbs. Bucks taken in this area every year dress over 250 lb, did I mention “every year”?
Here’s the rack I found from the remains of a buck in this area, with antler chewed off by rodents. He appeared to be a 7X7 typical with a 25 inch inside spread, yet he was much smaller than the buck I watched (mentioned above) in regard to mass, main beam length and tine length. The buck in the pic had tremendous mass, but the one I watched was off the charts.

Here's the topo of the bluff:

G3s
500 Club

Re: Big Woods input

Unread postby G3s » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 am

Scot not knowing the density of cover here is where I would start. I am just learning to use contour to my advantage so I may be completely missing something or way off on those scout locations. However I would definitely look at the South end of that lake/pond area. I drew a red line where I would think there should be a travel corridor. I bet there is a good bit of travel by that little creek flowing from the lake to the pond. Obviously there will be activity near the spring head at the oaks when they are dropping. I am interested to see what your thoughts are on how to use this area.

I would think to access that pond area if you followed the south edge of topo due west and then straight north once you hit that flatter area.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 am

Great looking spot Bridge.... I think the spring and oak trees would be a great spot early season. Is this area open in September?
I think bedding would be to the East on that point that juts out of the main ridgeline.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

A topo covering a larger area with aerials, shaded relief aerials, etc would be a big help in pinning down buck movement. I hope the sighting of that big buck you were close to was last year so there is a reasonable chance he would still be alive.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:27 am

Rut, I would likely hang a stand on the cruising trail about where my orange dot is
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

Did u find that deer in michigan?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:33 am

G3s wrote: I would definitely look at the South end of that lake/pond area. I drew a red line where I would think there should be a travel corridor. I bet there is a good bit of travel by that little creek flowing from the lake to the pond.

Excellent point, Tim. That area stood out to me as well and I believe where your red line passes between the pond and the lake there is going to be a run worth covering during rut periods. The bluff drops off sharply to the pond, and there will obviously be buck movement between the pond and the lake.

I have not scouted that exact spot yet, but I believe it worth my time to take a look.

dan wrote:Great looking spot Bridge.... I think the spring and oak trees would be a great spot early season. Is this area open in September?
I think bedding would be to the East on that point that juts out of the main ridgeline.

That area opens October 1st, I wish it did open in September... Even so, those oaks may may get an early season hunt from me. From the spring, I could see a very large scrape about 50 yards away. I walked to it and found one of the largest whitetail tracks I have ever cut.

DEERSLAYER wrote:A topo covering a larger area with aerials, shaded relief aerials, etc would be a big help in pinning down buck movement. I hope the sighting of that big buck you were close to was last year so there is a reasonable chance he would still be alive.

Lance, I do not believe that particular buck is alive... but the great thing about this area is it produces very large and mature bucks. I hope to be able to give it more attention soon.

dan wrote:Rut, I would likely hang a stand on the cruising trail about where my orange dot is

Thanks Dan- I like the idea of walking up that creek to that spot, to catch rut movement. Patience will be a real key there.

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:Did u find that deer in michigan?
[ Post made via Android ] Image

That deer was not in Michigan- it is a "Do It Yourself" hunt in Canada... nobody but myself is involved in the hunt.
Schubox1265

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 am

I would at least do a 'drive-by' through that saddle straight north of your saddle-spring. Being able to cover two saddles simultaneously could prove beneficial.

My $.02...

...and an elevation of 1250 told me that we're not in Kansas anymore...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:08 am

I figured that spot was in Canada because of the lack of map quality.

The spot you mentioned down by the lake sounds good and I like where Dan put his orange dot, but I also think that gap just north of G3's red line on top might be good for the rut. I drew some lines to show where I would expect some travel to occur and circled what should be a hub of activity. Just ENE of the oaks might be worth considering too.

Yeehaw!!!!! After 1 hour 3 minutes and several computer crashes I was finally able to get my computer to let me copy the IMG code so I could post this pic! I think I am going to get off here before I repeatedly smash this piece of garbage computer against the flippin floor!!!!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

Schubox1265 wrote:I would at least do a 'drive-by' through that saddle straight north of your saddle-spring. Being able to cover two saddles simultaneously could prove beneficial.

My $.02...

...and an elevation of 1250 told me that we're not in Kansas anymore...

I definitely need to scope that area out... I have no boot leather on the ground up there yet.

appreciate it!

DEERSLAYER wrote:I figured that spot was in Canada because of the lack of map quality.

The spot you mentioned down by the lake sounds good and I like where Dan put his orange dot, but I also think that gap just north of G3's red line on top might be good for the rut. I drew some lines to show where I would expect some travel to occur and circled what should be a hub of activity. Just ENE of the oaks might be worth considering too.
Yeehaw!!!!! After 1 hour 3 minutes and several computer crashes I was finally able to get my computer to let me copy the IMG code so I could post this pic! I think I am going to get off here before I repeatedly smash this piece of garbage computer against the flippin floor!!!!!![/color] :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Slayer, that definitely has the potential to be a hub of activity. I will definitely have to monitor that area. Thanks for the double-lincolns!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 am

Dan mentioned rut hunting the cruise trail where he put the orange circle...

There is a light trail there that follows the leeward side of the bluff, with winds out of the West, at that elevation that matches the point going east...

and right where it intercepts the other, heavier trail going up and over the bluff, through the saddle and along the creek, there are a couple of good rubs. Thought fellow Beasts would find that interesting...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am

There is a light trail there that follows the leeward side of the bluff, with winds out of the West, at that elevation that matches the point going east...

and right where it intercepts the other, heavier trail going up and over the bluff, through the saddle and along the creek, there are a couple of good rubs. Thought fellow Beasts would find that interesting...

The tops of draws like where the orange dot is intersecting that point have been good to me... I would be looking for a Northwest wind.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:05 am

dan wrote:

The tops of draws like where the orange dot is intersecting that point have been good to me... I would be looking for a Northwest wind.

and what a simple, effective tactic it is near bedding points-

the creek at that spot is added incentive.

thanks dan
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 pm

That is quite abit farther North than I have experience with but I wouldnt count out the oaks and spring. Most oaks in my area don't start dropping acorns heavy until the 2nd week of October. The timing of acorns dropping is very dependant on weather and rainfall for the year. Just something to keep in mind. Also a nice warm spell that first week of october could make that spring a hot spot.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

dan wrote:

Dan, just looking to learn a bit here. You prefer the organge dot cruising trail over sitting on top of the actual saddles . I see the cut at the orange dot that would pinch the trails down right there but at slightly higher elevation wouldn't you have more consistent wind current plus me able to shoot to the trail at the ridge top? I ran into this issue on a recent scouting trip. With about 50 yards from the center of the saddle top to the cut on the leeward side I wasn't sure weather placement on top of the saddle or right where the cut ends (also where the side hill cruising trail pinches) would be better. At the cut you would likely be about eye level with deer at the saddle and I'm not sure what my scent you do. Any suggestions? What would you do differently if the wind was lite and variable or mornings vs evenings? Would you actually move into the cut( below the trail) in evenings?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”