Scouting in Sand Scrub

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmahunter
500 Club

Scouting in Sand Scrub

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:54 am

I did some scouting this past weekend in the sand scrub down here.

I found 2 buck beds. There were several rubs around them. Based on there location it looks like they are used later in the season and only temporarily. Probably while they are checking the does.

Anyway the interesting point is these deer can see at least 300 ft from the beds. I sat down in the bed and used a range finder to verify. There is no way to get any closer to them. Plus based on there locations they are only about 300 ft off the roads so they can hear the hunters when they drive by, park, and basically make noise.

That deer is a smart cookie. Still looking for his other beds. They are no more than a pocket of 6 - 8ft wide pocket of scrub thicket and not very noticeable.

Now I have to map where the other hunters are going to see if there is a opening the deer are using to slip away.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting in Sand Scrub

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:07 am

Thats precisely why its so important to find the beds and look from the bucks point of view.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 am

Great information. I like the impossible bed threads it causes us to think outside the box.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 pm

wmahunter wrote:I did some scouting this past weekend in the sand scrub down here.

I found 2 buck beds. There were several rubs around them. Based on there location it looks like they are used later in the season and only temporarily. Probably while they are checking the does.

Anyway the interesting point is these deer can see at least 300 ft from the beds. I sat down in the bed and used a range finder to verify. There is no way to get any closer to them. Plus based on there locations they are only about 300 ft off the roads so they can hear the hunters when they drive by, park, and basically make noise.

That deer is a smart cookie. Still looking for his other beds. They are no more than a pocket of 6 - 8ft wide pocket of scrub thicket and not very noticeable.

Now I have to map where the other hunters are going to see if there is a opening the deer are using to slip away.

Why do you feel these aren't primary beds? Are they laying right on the edge of the scrub?

Did you take any pics?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 am

Why do you feel these aren't primary beds? Are they laying right on the edge of the scrub?
They could be primary beds but there was no sign of them being there lately. I have more to find before I can decide that.

I found a primary bed a good distance to the south of this location a year ago. There were a couple of rubs, scat everywhere and the bed had no twigs in it. It was down to the dirt level in a thicket you could not walk through without crawling.

Did you take any pics?[/quote]
Did not have a camera with me so, no pics

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”