North Manitou island deer hunt

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: North Manitou island deer hunt

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 pm

I've thought about doing this hunt a few times but it seems like most guys have the same experience that uncle Lou did. I think it'd be a fun adventure though and if I'm not mistaken anything you kill doesn't have to be tagged or count towards your statewide two buck limit. The only draw hunt I've ever done was the ft Custer hunt and it seemed like a lot of guys tended to wander aimlessly through there. I always kinda wondered if it was typical for draw hunts where guys didn't know the area. We took a few deer out of there but it makes for tricky hunting

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MI Hunter

Unread postby MI Hunter » Mon May 23, 2016 7:04 pm

cedarsavage wrote:I've thought about doing this hunt a few times but it seems like most guys have the same experience that uncle Lou did. I think it'd be a fun adventure though and if I'm not mistaken anything you kill doesn't have to be tagged or count towards your statewide two buck limit. The only draw hunt I've ever done was the ft Custer hunt and it seemed like a lot of guys tended to wander aimlessly through there. I always kinda wondered if it was typical for draw hunts where guys didn't know the area. We took a few deer out of there but it makes for tricky hunting

From the North Manitou Island Hunting website: There is no bag limit on the number or sex of the deer that can be taken. Deer taken legally on North Manitou Island shall not count against the hunter's regular deer season bag limit on the mainland. Park rangers shall affix a special North Manitou Island deer seal to each legally taken deer by the time the hunter leaves the island with the deer

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/nmihunting.htm

As far as Ft Custer goes, I'm able to hunt it all the other days that the public isn't doing the draw hunt. I've have some huge deer on trailcam from last year, but had no clue what I was doing. I found this site a couple months ago and have been planning strategies on the aerial maps since then. Only problem is that I'm out of the country for another couple months and have missed key scouting time.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue May 24, 2016 2:50 pm

MI Hunter wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:I've thought about doing this hunt a few times but it seems like most guys have the same experience that uncle Lou did. I think it'd be a fun adventure though and if I'm not mistaken anything you kill doesn't have to be tagged or count towards your statewide two buck limit. The only draw hunt I've ever done was the ft Custer hunt and it seemed like a lot of guys tended to wander aimlessly through there. I always kinda wondered if it was typical for draw hunts where guys didn't know the area. We took a few deer out of there but it makes for tricky hunting

From the North Manitou Island Hunting website: There is no bag limit on the number or sex of the deer that can be taken. Deer taken legally on North Manitou Island shall not count against the hunter's regular deer season bag limit on the mainland. Park rangers shall affix a special North Manitou Island deer seal to each legally taken deer by the time the hunter leaves the island with the deer

https://www.nps.gov/slbe/planyourvisit/nmihunting.htm

As far as Ft Custer goes, I'm able to hunt it all the other days that the public isn't doing the draw hunt. I've have some huge deer on trailcam from last year, but had no clue what I was doing. I found this site a couple months ago and have been planning strategies on the aerial maps since then. Only problem is that I'm out of the country for another couple months and have missed key scouting time.

If you can hunt til dark I think that will up your chances. That's cool you can get in there before the public, it was always a fun hunt this will be the first year I haven't done it in awhile

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”