What state for public land DIY, OTC??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

What state for public land DIY, OTC??

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Looking for opinions from Beasts on where to go hunting out of state by myself for a week. Looking at sometime in November. Reasonably priced tags and ample public land preferred. Thanks in advance of any replies!! PLB....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What state for public land DIY, OTC??

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:Looking for opinions from Beasts on where to go hunting out of state by myself for a week. Looking at sometime in November. Reasonably priced tags and ample public land preferred. Thanks in advance of any replies!! PLB....

Thats really dependent of your Goals... Tad might tell you Minnesota cause its vast and you can be one on one with the buck and never see another hunter... I might tell you Illinois cause it has some great managed lands where lots of big bucks are shot every year, and Magic might tell you to hit the U.P. where you can follow a track forever...
Before anyone can give you advice on a destination, we would need to know what your most important goals are?
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 pm

My goals are to not be overrun with hunters, too have fun hunting, to maybe get a chance at a decent 2.5 or better and to not be pinned down to one small area. I would be bowhunting and could probably stretch it out 10 days if need be. Lack of snow probably rules out tracking at that time of year. I would most likely be hunting mobile beast out of my LW.I'm looking for a peaceful hunt, not a orange army rat race. Most of all I'm looking to test my public land hunting skills out in another state.

Obsession Bows
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm

I have mentioned this many times. A lot should depend on what type of terrain you are looking to hunt. Hill country is way different than flat agriculture land. River bottoms are way different than big woods. Mountains are way different than swamp land. If you are experienced on all types of terrains you are good to go anywhere. If you are a flat lander hills and mountains will eat you alive. If you understand this it will make your choices much easier.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 pm

See, I would of recommended a place in Illinois that I have hunted that is full of huge bucks, but your also going to run into other hunters. Thats never really been a determent for me if the deer are there. I look at it as a challenge.
Now, seeing your goals, I would say northern Minnesota is where your likely to get away from people and have a real good chance at a 2 1/2 year old within not to long of a ride from home.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Stanley wrote:I have mentioned this many times. A lot should depend on what type of terrain you are looking to hunt. Hill country is way different than flat agriculture land. River bottoms are way different than big woods. Mountains are way different than swamp land. If you are experienced on all types of terrains you are good to go anywhere. If you are a flat lander hills and mountains will eat you alive. If you understand this it will make your choices much easier.

Great point Stan.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Nebraska is $200ish over the counter for a buck tag and its either muley or whitetail. Supposed to be good hunting, lots of public land. I wanted to go out there this year but ended up in North Dakota hunting ducks instead. I bet you could hunt and camp on a bowhunt in Nebraska for less than a grand depending what kind of mileage your truck gets LOL.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the replies Dan. Nebraska interests me and Dan I would certainly be interested in Illinois!! Illinois is on my short list.....

Obsession Bows
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Nebraska is $200ish over the counter for a buck tag and its either muley or whitetail. Supposed to be good hunting, lots of public land. I wanted to go out there this year but ended up in North Dakota hunting ducks instead. I bet you could hunt and camp on a bowhunt in Nebraska for less than a grand depending what kind of mileage your truck gets LOL.

Except NE's deer were wiped out from EHD this year. Be a few years before it recovers...

What about Massachusetts. $100 for two buck tags, and more land than you could ever cover.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:Thanks for the replies Dan. Nebraska interests me and Dan I would certainly be interested in Illinois!! Illinois is on my short list.....

http://dnr.state.il.us/Lands/landmgt/parks/R4/jepc.htm
Your going to see a lot of great bucks there. But people too... So it might not meet your goal ;)
There are ways to get around the people though.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Some really good replies, much insight. There is so many options for the DIY hunter these days, would take 3 lifetimes to try them all. Sounds to me that your goals are realistic and you want to challenge yourself. There is a s many reasons of where you hunt as there is why you hunt a certain place, each hunt has different goals or reasons. Only you can answer those questions of what you are after, is it a big buck, the challenge, new tactics, different terrain, pushing your limits, many answers to consider.

My personal most difficult hunt and has haunted me for 30years, was hunting blacktails in the rain forests of the olympic peninsula in Washington state, was not prepared for the terrian or the habits of the animal. And would like to go back and have at again, guess just a glutton for punishment.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

dan wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:Thanks for the replies Dan. Nebraska interests me and Dan I would certainly be interested in Illinois!! Illinois is on my short list.....

http://dnr.state.il.us/Lands/landmgt/parks/R4/jepc.htm
Your going to see a lot of great bucks there. But people too... So it might not meet your goal ;)
There are ways to get around the people though.

Any ideas on tag cost??

Obsession Bows
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm

I think illinois is around $500 or $600. i belive you get one buck, and one doe tag.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

PLB, I would consider heading for the U.P. for a number of reasons-

You are skilled at hunting big woods and public land. I believe your skillset would get you onto a 3.5 year old with some preseason scouting and paying attentiont to timing up there. You certainly do not need to be a tracker to get onto a buck of that age there.

There are many areas in the U.P. with low hunting pressure on public land. It wouldn't cost you much in travel expense or a motel.

The draw of big buck areas in other states may sway you, and right fully so... but I have to add that one of the top big buck hunters in the world (my opinion) still routinely hunts the U.P. and takes record book bucks... he stopped entering them over twenty years ago. This hunter has a state record, world class bucks... 'nuff said.

The U.P. continues to have great potential, irregardless of what others say / think. ;)

Don't bother asking me his name, I'll send you to Richard P. Smith and have you ask how he fared in getting an interview with him. :lol:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks SB!!

Obsession Bows

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”