What state for public land DIY, OTC??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ttsbuck
500 Club

Re: What state for public land DIY, OTC??

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:00 am

I would suggest northern Min. I will send you a PM with info on a certain area.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 am

Anyone ever look into Oregon or the state of Washington?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 am

Spysar wrote:Anyone ever look into Oregon or the state of Washington?

Yes, Washington state blacktails, listed this on 1st page of this thread.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:13 am

I meant for whitetails.....Anyway, is the blacktail areas the same as the whitetail areas? Is there seperate areas they occupy or do they overlap?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:47 am

Washington is a interesting state to hunt, a bunch of varying terrian. Lived in Seattle for a couple of years when I was a younger, would live there now if I could have gotten my wife to buy into the idea.

Blacktails, mostly in western side of the state in the mountains, cascades range and the olympic pennisula which is a rain forest, very different type of hunting versus typical whitetail habitat.

Mule deer, east central, east side of cascades. That area around the columbia river basin and over towards Spokane, is more high mesa country, semi arid, sage brush country like alot of areas out west.

Whitetail, is typically north centarl part of the state, which is more woodland type terrian, foothils, but not high mountain. Probably similiar in character to the Northeast.

Hope that helps, look forward to going back and hunting there, still have family there. And have been asking when i'm coming back for a visit, just need to do it during hunting season. ;)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 am

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but just throwing this out there, I am trying to execute a plan on heading to Ohio for early bow, very few hunters out then compared to rut, OH tag is around $150 OTC. Plenty of hill country public land for virtually unlimited potential bedding areas to hunt throughout the entire trip. Also some thick creek bottoms and public marshes. Not to mention Ohio is known for slobs.

If I felt I would have time to postseason scout some areas I would be very confident, but with a baby coming Feb I will have to go blind if I can make it at all next year.

I heard OH is packed during rut though.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but just throwing this out there, I am trying to execute a plan on heading to Ohio for early bow, very few hunters out then compared to rut, OH tag is around $150 OTC. Plenty of hill country public land for virtually unlimited potential bedding areas to hunt throughout the entire trip. Also some thick creek bottoms and public marshes. Not to mention Ohio is known for slobs.

If I felt I would have time to postseason scout some areas I would be very confident, but with a baby coming Feb I will have to go blind if I can make it at all next year.

I heard OH is packed during rut though.

Palmetto if I can help in anyway when you decide to head this way let me know. Depending on where your planning to hunt I live within an hour of several public hunting areas.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:10 am

I guess the more I think about it I would like to go someplace with a healthy population of deer and a reasonable tag cost. Reasonable driving distance too. Any more ideas??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 am

Missouri = $250 and 6-10hrs driving for ya
IL = $500 and 4-8hrs driving for ya
Dakotas = not sure on tag but 8+ hrs driving
MN = cheaper and closer but deer #s lower
MI = no thanks :lol:
OH = not sure on cost but you might as well just go to IL
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

From what I can tell, the biggest bucks anywhere are in Wisconsin. Why leave? If your spot in WI isn't the best, travel within the state.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:I guess the more I think about it I would like to go someplace with a healthy population of deer and a reasonable tag cost. Reasonable driving distance too. Any more ideas??

Your on the right path, your thinking about your goals and options and putting together a plan. Some thoughts, one of the biggest obstacles when I started doing traveling hunts,was cost and time and with a young family was hard to justify especially around the holidays. Would put money away all year long, so when it came time to go hunting, the cost was covered and would match the cost of the hunt, and would give that to the wife, call it "hush money". Seemed to work pretty good and made the homecoming easier.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Spysar wrote:From what I can tell, the biggest bucks anywhere are in Wisconsin. Why leave? If your spot in WI isn't the best, travel within the state.

PLB had a lot of time on his hands this fall to think about how he can kill TWO slobs in one year with the bow.........as you know, sometimes one is not enough ;)

Although he could hunt the CWD zone snd get another tag.........I always forget about that.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Yeah just looking at options for a chance to kill another buck. Lots of good feedback to get me thinking!! Thanks!

Obsession Bows
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:43 pm

CWD zone is an option!! Brad generously offered me a hunt and stay down by him this year. I just may take him up on it next season!!

Obsession Bows
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I guess the more I think about it I would like to go someplace with a healthy population of deer and a reasonable tag cost. Reasonable driving distance too. Any more ideas??

If you are looking for a healthy deer population, CWD public is not the place you want. Plus, if you have already shot a buck else where in wisconsin you will have to earn your buck by shooting a doe first.. this is a tall order with a bow in the CWD zone. You may well spend most of your 10 day trip hunting for a doe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”