What state for public land DIY, OTC??

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Re: What state for public land DIY, OTC??

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Any counties in particular Bridge?? I am familiar some with Delta Co area......

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Have to agree with SB, the U.P. still has good potential, but would have difficulty getting away from people during gun season.

Will add NWO, unit 6, 8 and 7B in the Kenora and Dryden area has some good hunting. With a little effort you will not see another hunter, and vast areas of crown land. OTC licence is about $225. Have been going in this area for about 10 years, the season ends 11/15 for N/R, one of the last true wilderness hunts for whitetail for a DIY hunter.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Delta is excellent- look at the giants taken by G3's and his brother there!! Send him a PM if interested, he's an outstanding hunter and Beast member.

I would recommend Schoolcraft and its 96,000 acre marsh. ;)

You can make an appointment with the refuge manager and spend a half hour looking at the map of the giant area and what he recommends... the USFS Rangers are the only humans allowed to drive through it outside of hunting season... they see bucks NO ONE else is privy to... and they die of old age. In reality, there are only a few insignificant roads. I have a topo of ONE PART of the refuge and it is 6 X 8 or 48 square miles... I've been there. The topo has one two-track that loops onto it for a half mile before going back off... the rest is islands and marsh. This isn't the kind of area for pilgrims, when they attempt it helicopters begin searching for them... I've been lit up by their spotlight miles back in during a search.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I like N. Minnesota myself.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 am

NH!

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunting.htm

Tens of thousands of acres...
I could provide shelter (no running water, except stream beside camp)

Sept 1st into mid-Nov for Bear
Sept 15th - Dec 15th deer & turkey
Great upland game hunting Oct 1st
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am

For a bow hunt I'm with Dan = IL

Tag price is a little ouchie though

If you looking to kill a true whopper... IL OTC
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 am

The Dakotas.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 am

A good friend of mine hunts Nebraska and shot a nice 10 point this year with a rifle. Said he saw 13 bucks before he shot his. Trip costs him under 1000 he also said many farmers are willing to let u hunt. But if I was you I would spend my time in the vast big woods of the u.p. I rarely see hunters on western end. Just my 02. Cents

gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 am

Ohio, stay away from the popular public areas and your goals shouldn't be to hard to achieve

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:NH!

No matter how awesome it is, and how much land there is, I doubt we'll ever get any of these flatlanders to visit the Northeast! :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Spysar wrote:

No matter how awesome it is, and how much land there is, I doubt we'll ever get any of these flatlanders to visit the Northeast! :D

The northeast isn't that bad, spend a couple weeks out west chasing elk up and down mountainsides over 12,000 feet, that's will put anyone to the test.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 pm

You mentioned challenge. For a challenge anywhere in MI, dont believe their arent big bucks here. OTC $126 tag, double it for a combo tag, two bucks.

UP is always fun, I dont hunt up there as much as I would like, but I got a place in Schoolcraft, a few miles from Delta. Let me know if this area hits your list and we can talk.
NE was a quick experience for me a few years ago, I went MZ, forget the price but was less than $200, you had to buy the tag before you got there, but essentially OTC, there are draws too, you need to read up.

MN would like to try it again, I hunted there about 11 yrs ago on private in the southern, I would probably go to the UP before I go to northern MN unless I end up going with my cousin.

Spy, Ed. This flatlander has been out in your neck of the woods a few different times, maybe several, but that was back in my bass fishing youth. I couldnt believe how attracted to northern NH I was, been wanting to go back there ever since 99 when I was out there. And drove through Mass so many times I couldnt count them, that is some nice country. I saw you post that two buck tag price the other day Spy. I got a good friend out in Boston I been meaning to visit. Havent been to Boston since 03.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 am

Spysar wrote:

You know Spy - When me and exojam start wacking big bucks I'm gonna say I told you so :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:My goals are to not be overrun with hunters, too have fun hunting, to maybe get a chance at a decent 2.5 or better and to not be pinned down to one small area. I would be bowhunting and could probably stretch it out 10 days if need be. Lack of snow probably rules out tracking at that time of year. I would most likely be hunting mobile beast out of my LW.I'm looking for a peaceful hunt, not a orange army rat race. [glow=red]Most of all I'm looking to test my public land hunting skills out in another state.[/glow][ Post made via Android ] Image

As I read through this post again, there is some very good input from everyone. But heard things a little differently as to the goals and reasons for doing this, I can relate as I went through a similiar transition some time ago.

Guess would call it a progression of a hunter....when we start deer hunting, we want to kill a deer, any deer. Then a buck, then multiple deer, then our legal limit, then a big buck, then the biggesst buck in our area. The progression may be different for each hunter, but you get the point. Then you come to a point of challenging yourself and the skills you have learned, some might use different equipment, some different tactics, some say to themselves, "I've been sucessful hunting what I know, but can I do this anywhere?" This is what makes some of us become traveling hunters, you ask yourself the questions, what can I learn elsewhere?, can I repeat my success anywhere? What don't I already know?

Each of us can only answer these question for ourselves..... so becomes the "progression of a hunter"
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Right on tadmdad!! Great post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”