Ask me a tracking question

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Ask me a tracking question

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 am

johndeere506 wrote:What time of year do you think is best for tracking big bucks? I usually feel that the woods is empty in late Nov or Dec muzzy season so thats when I walk. But, I sometimes feel like the good bucks are all dead by then. Clearly this cant be true. Is there a type of terrain a novice should try first? Pine woods, clear cuts, cedar swamp/forest, marsh? Something that has the best chances of staying on or locating big tracks late season is what Im wondering.

BTW, thanks for doing this thread. This REALLY helps!!!

Time of year? Whenever there is snow!
Type of Terrain. I would pick rolling hills with 75 yd visibility. That would be about perfect. But they travel a long way so the terrain where you locate a track will most likely change by the time you catch up to them. Its fun in the thick swamps. Its like jump shooting rabbits. The worst type is wide open areas. They can see you and be gone way before you see them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:40 am

cdeam wrote:In hill country would it be better to start low or high? This is steeper elevation, narrow ridges and narrow valleys.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I havent tracked in steep hilly country but i would choose high because of the visual advantage and they are more likely to bed there. Go where they would go so you can find tracks

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 am

magicman54494 wrote:Blowdowns are actually hot spots that nobody ever talks about. There is cover and feed all in one spot.

Last years scouting led me to a couple of areas with blowdowns. One was a small cedar swamp and the other a slight hill bed, nothing amazing about the terrain other than a ton of blowdowns in each area. I will have to keep an eye out for these in the future.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:39 am

headgear wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:Blowdowns are actually hot spots that nobody ever talks about. There is cover and feed all in one spot.

Last years scouting led me to a couple of areas with blowdowns. One was a small cedar swamp and the other a slight hill bed, nothing amazing about the terrain other than a ton of blowdowns in each area. I will have to keep an eye out for these in the future.

Blowdowns along a hillside are gold! Expect a buck bed on the edge of the break. They use the thick blowdown to guard their back and sit watching for trouble coming from below.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 am

Blowdowns along a hillside are gold! Expect a buck bed on the edge of the break. They use the thick blowdown to guard their back and sit watching for trouble coming from below.

I will second that... Like Magic said it has not been talked about much, but they like it. And its something that is hard to see from an aerial.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:52 am

when you are saying a blowdown, are you talking one single tree top that has fallen? or an area where a bunch of trees have fallen? or just anything in general that creates a patch of cover?
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:44 am

hunter_mike wrote:when you are saying a blowdown, are you talking one single tree top that has fallen? or an area where a bunch of trees have fallen? or just anything in general that creates a patch of cover?

1 tree could be enough to get a buck to bed there. I like bigger areas though. The woods opens up allowing new growth and the tangle of fallen trees provide safety. Have you ever tried to move quietly thru a blowdown? It is impossible. Plus if the wind is coming from the blowdown it is impossible to get near that buck from any direction. The perfect bed for survival. The new growth allows them to eat without risking daytime movement. Throw in water at the bottom of the hill and that buck never needs to leave.
They usually like to bed with their back against a log or fallen tree or even a standing tree. Check those spots.

Everyone knows how good clearcuts can be for hunting. Blowdowns are natures clearcuts.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Awesome

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:36 pm

magicman54494 wrote:
headgear wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by "edge of the break"? What I am imagining based on the context, is a hillside with a blowdown on it, the buck is bedded on the lower side of the blowdown with his back to the blowdown and is looking down whatever remains of the hill. Is that the correct interpretation?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:28 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
headgear wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by "edge of the break"? What I am imagining based on the context, is a hillside with a blowdown on it, the buck is bedded on the lower side of the blowdown with his back to the blowdown and is looking down whatever remains of the hill. Is that the correct interpretation?

Yes, you are correct. I have seen them bed in the blowdown away from the edge as well. Watch for pines or cedar trees growing in the blowdown. They lay under them as well. One area I hunted had several beds. I'm assuming the buck changed spots based on wind and weather. There could be more than one buck bedding there as well.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Great thread. Anything new to add?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:12 am

Just read this thread again for a refresher. Awesome info here. 8-) I'm ready to do some tracking. Fresh snow coming tomorrow night in the northwoods and I'm excited.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bogie

Unread postby Bogie » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Magic! Would you rather track a buck in December with your muzzleloader as opposed to during the rut? During the rut they can walk for miles and you may never catch him. At least during December he's not traveling near as far so wouldn't it be much easier to track him?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:58 am

Bogie wrote:Hi Magic! Would you rather track a buck in December with your muzzleloader as opposed to during the rut? During the rut they can walk for miles and you may never catch him. At least during December he's not traveling near as far so wouldn't it be much easier to track him?

yed and no. if he isnt moving much its a lot harder to
find his track in the first place. as the rut wears down they search for does less often and put on fewer miles when they do.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”