What's in your pack?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

What's in your pack?

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:22 pm

I believe a hunter can be defined by what they carry in their pack. We all have different personalities and our gear choices can silently expose what/how we think when it comes to chasing whitetails.

My pack is generally pretty slim. I like to "go-light" and "go-deep" when it comes to chasing Mr. Big. gadgets and I just don't get along too good. I typically tote and shoulder strapped-fanny-pack. It balances good and seems to have just the right amount of room inside. It allows my back to breathe and if I need to carry a jacket or clothes on me while heading to the stand, it has some tie-downs/straps that I can use to stow a rolled-up garment if needed. Inside my pack (if rifle hunting in the big-woods) is an extra compass, E-Trex GPS, batteries, Mini-mag light, strap-on headlamp, space blanket (size of a deck of cards, extra pair of wool socks, extra shells, waterproof matches, lighter, TP in a zip-loc, second pair of brown cheapo cotton gloves, stocking hat, hunting knife, drag-rope, bandana, bottled water, disposable camera with flash, mini-roll of duct tape and a chocolate bar. This set-up could keep me from getting lost, get me out after dark, start a fire, keep me warm, build a shelter, butterfly a cut, make a tourniquet, repair a bootsole (temporarily), feed me for a couple of days or splint a broken leg if needed.
I have been chastized by my wife for not bringing an emergency-kit, but have never felt that I couldn't satisfy any emergency with what I currently have - I would just need to improvise & get creative.

What's in your pack and why?

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
WiBowhuntress

Re: What's in your pack?

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 am

Scents (sometimes)
Digital Camera
Knife
License
Zip Ties
Flashlight
Bottled Water
Excedrin
Snacks
Nintendo Gameboy
Rattlin' Horns (sometimes)
Grunt Call
Rangefinder
Binoculars
I always have my cell phone on me too.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 am

publiclandhunter wrote:I believe a hunter can be defined by what they carry in their pack. We all have different personalities and our gear choices can silently expose what/how we think when it comes to chasing whitetails.

My pack is generally pretty slim. I like to "go-light" and "go-deep" when it comes to chasing Mr. Big. gadgets and I just don't get along too good. I typically tote and shoulder strapped-fanny-pack. It balances good and seems to have just the right amount of room inside. It allows my back to breathe and if I need to carry a jacket or clothes on me while heading to the stand, it has some tie-downs/straps that I can use to stow a rolled-up garment if needed. Inside my pack (if rifle hunting in the big-woods) is an extra compass, E-Trex GPS, batteries, Mini-mag light, strap-on headlamp, space blanket (size of a deck of cards, extra pair of wool socks, extra shells, waterproof matches, lighter, TP in a zip-loc, second pair of brown cheapo cotton gloves, stocking hat, hunting knife, drag-rope, bandana, bottled water, disposable camera with flash, mini-roll of duct tape and a chocolate bar. This set-up could keep me from getting lost, get me out after dark, start a fire, keep me warm, build a shelter, butterfly a cut, make a tourniquet, repair a bootsole (temporarily), feed me for a couple of days or splint a broken leg if needed.
I have been chastized by my wife for not bringing an emergency-kit, but have never felt that I couldn't satisfy any emergency with what I currently have - I would just need to improvise & get creative.

What's in your pack and why?

PLH

my pack is almost exactly like yours. I don't carry extra socks or blanket or duct tape or bandana. I usually carry a grunt call. Next year I will be ading my video camera.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 pm

I change my gear depending on where and how I am hunting. A pack is usually no longer part of my gear for hunts. I can generally fit everything I need in my pockets or within the bungee straps on my stand.
I usually take:
a knife (pocket)
1 plastic bottle of water (pocket)
2 video cameras (pocket)
1 camera tree arm (bungee to stand)
Jacket or warm clothes (bungee to stand)
zip ties for tagging deer (pocket)
Milkweed seed (pocket)

On remote hunts or new spots I also take:
a Hooyman saw
a compass
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:09 am

Essentials:
___Hunting license/personal documentation
___Bow
___Arrows in quiver
___Release
___Range finder

Backpack:
• Treestand hunt only items:
___Treestand
___Tree steps
___Harness
___Screw-in bow hook
• Any type of hunt items:
___Small trimming clippers
___Bungee cords
___Toilet paper
___Cell phone
___Flashlight
___Digital camera
___Water
___Milkweed wind checkers
___Deer calls/rattle bag (sometimes)
___Scent killer spray
___Scrape scents (sometimes)
___Compass/GPS
___Maps
___Brighteye/reflective ties
___Knife
___Bone saw
___Rubber gloves
___Survival kit (long distance hunts only. This kit fits in the palm of my hand.)

Accessories:
___Video cam w/ mount to bow

Long distance hunt:
___Raingear
___Extra batteries
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:12 am

Forgot to mention 2 items:

Hoist cord (treestand hunts)
Rope (long distance hunts)
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:33 pm

A few years back, I started packing my gear for wilderness hunts a couple of weeks in advance. A couple of days out from the hunt, I would unpack and try to reduce my gear by half - taking only the absolute neccessity items. It worked, and now I carry only the basic items I need. Give that a try before your next hunting trip. Or, on the flip side, when you get back home and unpack, make note of what you actually used and keep the list for next time and ditch the rest. Less is best!

PLH
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:10 am

If you are new to the big woods or wilderness areas, and this is the type of habitat you would like to try, I recommend you "Pack Heavy" for survival until you gain experience in this arena. Here's a link to rancid crabtree's excellent post in the survival area, a light but super-equipped survival pack:

viewtopic.php?f=162&t=1500

A pack such as this may become a staple, or if you are going to lighten it up down the road you will be confident because of the experience you have under your belt.

I have quite a bit of experience in this type of habitat, and will pack as light as I can safely get away with. Closely examining what hunters such as "publiclandhunter" and others that posted above rely on will only benefit me. Kind of like an experienced golfer spending some time with the golf pro to "tweak" his game. 8-)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Beginners make note of what Bridge has to say there. A mistake in the wlderness can cost you - big time! Make sure that you know your limitations and pack accordingly. When I mention to "pack-light" stay within your own means.

PLH
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:53 pm

If it want fit in my pocket I don't take it.

Flash light, knife, cell phone and release. If going somewhere new I will take a folding saw. If I'm going 2 or 3 miles deep or from day light till dark I will take an apple and bottle of water.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:08 pm

When I was younger, I used to haul everything I could possibly need. As I got older, wiser and lazier, I started to slim-down on items - as my waistline expanded....(it must be an eye for an eye or something like that?) :lol:

PLH
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 pm

When I am whitetail hunting I keep much more stuff in the truck than I tote with me. As I usually believe I can go get it.

When I am day hiking in elk country a little bit more stuff goes with.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 pm

I am always looking for ways to get items to do multiple tasks. I look for ways to limit my items by supply n demand - for example, a length of rope to haul my bow up can also be used to cut a small piece to attach a tag and also used to attach a stick for a drag rope. I once used a small roll of duct-tape and my rain pants as waders to cross a creek in the middle of the wilderness by taping the pant legs to the outside of my Lacrosse boots. Bone dry once across!

PLH

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”