Michigan's opening day of gun season

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Michigan's opening day of gun season

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:31 am

Went out this morning amidst all the yahoo's and local's in a neck of the woods here in central michigan. We were there set up nice and early, flashlight's in hand to ward off the mob's :lol: And on que at about 20mins before daylight a guy comes flying in the parking area, slams all his doors and goes basically running thru the woods smashing every limb and stick on the ground going in. I told Crystal, not to worry deer will be getting pushed all morning from many other hunters. Then at first daylight, we could see very clear out to at least 50 yards, he comes smashing back through, walks directly in front of us and sets up in a tree about 150 yards away. Hello, we have rifles that shoot twice that far. I was alittle frustrated to say the least, but we hunted on. At about 10am we got up and to my surprise, this fellow is facing directly at us in his treestand!! :o What the heck is wrong with people, and as a little side note, he was the only guy in the parking lot with us, and there were no cars parked for almost a mile with no one else hunting between us that morning. As we drove away, crystal looked at me and said, I think we should lease next year. She was super upset as this was her very first opening day of gun season and she was super pumped.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Michigan's opening day of gun season

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 am

I have lost all desire to gun hunt, due mostly to situations like that.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 am

I agree 100%, I've never been a big gun hunter...I love to bowhunt
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:12 am

I would rather stumble into a Black Panther rally than hunt opening day of gun season in the lower peninsula on public land...it is just plain old unsafe!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 am

G3s wrote:I would rather stumble into a Black Panther rally than hunt opening day of gun season in the lower peninsula on public land...it is just plain old unsafe!

Sorry to spoil your Black Panther party...lmao
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:37 am

I have hunted opening day on public down here (SE MI), and in northern lower MI and although I do see other hunters, I haven't really had any problems.

This opener I was on public in NE lower. Did not see another hunter until about noon. There were a few trucks that beat me to the end of the trail. I just went a quarter mile back down the 2 track got out in the dark and ended up in some slashings. Had two deer running around me 3 different times. I would say 50 yds or less and still couldn't get a clear shot. Last year about a mile away I had a buck and a doe get pretty close. The doe I could have thrown my gun and hit her, the buck was about 30 yds and couldn't get clear on him.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 am

I hunted S.E. Wisconsin and I constantly hear people complain about to many hunters and it being too crowded, but from my opening morning stand, I could see a mile or more in front of me and could not see orange anywhere...
If there was really a hunter every 100 yards the deer would go extinct. There has to be a place they can hide and not get shot or none would survive... Our jobs as hunters is to find that hide out and not set up a stand there until the morning you are going to hunt it. If you have guys setting up next to you, your not finding those places.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:01 am

dan wrote:I hunted S.E. Wisconsin and I constantly hear people complain about to many hunters and it being too crowded, but from my opening morning stand, I could see a mile or more in front of me and could not see orange anywhere...
If there was really a hunter every 100 yards the deer would go extinct. There has to be a place they can hide and not get shot or none would survive... Our jobs as hunters is to find that hide out and not set up a stand there until the morning you are going to hunt it. If you have guys setting up next to you, your not finding those places.

I agree with you 100%, it seems every year those places are harder and harder to find..lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”