Buck beds during the rut?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Buck beds during the rut?

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:17 am

Do bucks still bed in there beds during the rut, with all the potential does in estrus or estrus in the air fromt he ones that are? Also if they are bedding in there beds, how long do they stay bedded in the rut? I've heard some bucks travel to new areas during the rut and return later post rut and vice versa. I'm wondering this, because during the rut, how can I target a specific bucks travel route if he doesn't bed in the same spot.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Buck beds during the rut?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:32 pm

I always like my chances before the rut really kicks in. I like from about October 28th to November 4th just before the does come into estrous and the bucks get a little more active. Hunting buck bedding areas pays off for me at this time. I like to get get on a pattern bed to acorns, or bed to water. I also like food or water sources that are in the thick and not out in the open. In my experience it is hard to pattern a buck once the rut starts. If you can locate an old buck that isn't interested in breeding then you can pattern those old old bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Re: Buck beds during the rut?

Unread postby headgear » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I have seen some early rutting action in buck bedding area in late Oct and the first few days of Nov, I think this especially holds true on public land when the older deer know not to venture out into the open or on the high ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”