New hunting area

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Remington guy

New hunting area

Unread postby Remington guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 pm

My stepdad and I like to do a lot of scouting, and looking at arial maps found a decent looking area of public.only thing is, it has recently been logged off, do deer still hang around areas that have been logged off?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Buckfever
500 Club

Re: New hunting area

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Often that very quickly becomes bedding and at the same time neglected by other hunters.
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Ya it's already not very pressured which is good, I think it was logged 2 years ago

Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Anymore info on how to hunt this? There is water, Rolling hills

Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Should I put a stand on edge of woods? Ground blind?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:24 pm

The under growth will flourish after the over head canopy is gone. I would think this will improve the hunting in the future. Just don't tell anyone. I would start on the edges with an observation stand and work inward. I would also look it over real good this winter for next year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 am

Remington guy wrote:My stepdad and I like to do a lot of scouting, and looking at arial maps found a decent looking area of public.only thing is, it has recently been logged off, do deer still hang around areas that have been logged off?

I call clearcuts like that the "cornfields of the north" when there is no agriculture available to the deer. Even if agri is available, the bucks will use it as a major food source if the right species of regrowth takes place in the cut. In your area, the regrowth likely isnt very tall yet?

Points of woods sticking into the cut are often great buck staging areas, also look for any creeks approaching the cut as a whitetail access highway to get to it. Look at your topo maps, are there ridges near the cut? They make great bedding and / or approach routes for bucks getting into it.

During the rut, bucks like to cross cut the doe trails near the transition line of the cut and main woods. If you are really lucky, a real hot spot during the rut is where two points of woods go into the cut from opposite sides- this creates a secure travel route for cruising bucks checking those doe runs. I placed a hunter in one such spot (after verifying that the cut wasn't being hunted, very unusual) and set him up downwind of the opposing points of timber jutting into the cut. Before I made it back to my truck, he shot a buck... and thinks I'm one smart dude.. :lol:
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:53 pm

That's a lot of good info thanks a lot ill have to try it out in the woods, and the clear cut is on the top of a ridge with a big swampy pond behind it to the south

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm

If its a fresh cut this year there won't be much for food in there yet, maybe some browse that has grown up a little. For this fall you can use it as a great funnel, find a corner and give it a whirl. The next 2-3 of seasons you are looking at primarily a food source and again hunt a rut funnel. A lot of times open areas like this can attract other hunters. Just be patient if anyone else hunt its, about the time the new growth shoots (years 3-10) up those guys abandon it and the hunting gets really good. The does bed and feed right in the new growth and the bucks feel a lot more comfortable running around with some cover. As SB said, this is bigwood corn and the deer love it. Once it gets a little thicker I hunt right inside of the cutting, you can work the edges and they can be productive but I have had far more luck right in the thick of it.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:26 am

Singing Bridge wrote:I call clearcuts like that the "cornfields of the north" when there is no agriculture available to the deer. Even if agri is available, the bucks will use it as a major food source if the right species of regrowth takes place in the cut. In your area, the regrowth likely isnt very tall yet?

Points of woods sticking into the cut are often great buck staging areas, also look for any creeks approaching the cut as a whitetail access highway to get to it. Look at your topo maps, are there ridges near the cut? They make great bedding and / or approach routes for bucks getting into it.

During the rut, bucks like to cross cut the doe trails near the transition line of the cut and main woods. If you are really lucky, a real hot spot during the rut is where two points of woods go into the cut from opposite sides- this creates a secure travel route for cruising bucks checking those doe runs. I placed a hunter in one such spot (after verifying that the cut wasn't being hunted, very unusual) and set him up downwind of the opposing points of timber jutting into the cut. Before I made it back to my truck, he shot a buck... and thinks I'm one smart dude.. :lol:

Good post S.B.!

Never thought of it that way, but you're 100% correct!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”