Tips for hunting public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Tips for hunting public land

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

The private land I have been hunting is burned up. Ive sat every spot I had planned and with my dad, uncle, brother and cousin hunting it...its time for me to move on. I hunted public tonight for the second time this year and I really enjoy how refreshing it is to not hunt the same land over and over again. The hunt went really well I ended up shooting a big doe and will track her in the morning.

Im wondering how you guys make public land hunting work for you? The public I hunt is not nearly as pressured as it sounds like for alot of you guys so its a bonus, at least for bowhunting. I live in a very rural area.

I will be honest I dont own a lone wolf treestand so its very hard for me to carry in a metal stand and set up not being that big of a guy. I use the strap 3 steps to get in. Sometimes like tonight I sit on the ground. I would love to buy a lonewolf but money is low right now.

Any advice on hunting pressured deer like this? Im assuming to hunt like I normally do. Wait for the right wind, make sure thermals wont mess up the hunt, hunting corridors, 2/3 bedding elevation etc. Should I go further than normal to kill a big buck? I know this piece of land very well from scouting the past two springs and have beds located to hunt but some are so far out carrying in a heavy metal stand is not only noisy but heavy and strains on my bad back. Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated Thanks!

BHBH

Zap

Re: Tips for hunting public land

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Become a sneaky sob and hunt off the ground.

Find a good spot and prep some lanes to shoot.
Bring a good chair and get comfy.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 am

Sounds like ur best bet is sitting in cattails or find some good deadfalls to hide in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:The private land I have been hunting is burned up. Ive sat every spot I had planned and with my dad, uncle, brother and cousin hunting it...its time for me to move on. I hunted public tonight for the second time this year and I really enjoy how refreshing it is to not hunt the same land over and over again. The hunt went really well I ended up shooting a big doe and will track her in the morning.

Im wondering how you guys make public land hunting work for you? The public I hunt is not nearly as pressured as it sounds like for alot of you guys so its a bonus, at least for bowhunting. I live in a very rural area.

I will be honest I dont own a lone wolf treestand so its very hard for me to carry in a metal stand and set up not being that big of a guy. I use the strap 3 steps to get in. Sometimes like tonight I sit on the ground. I would love to buy a lonewolf but money is low right now.

Any advice on hunting pressured deer like this? Im assuming to hunt like I normally do. Wait for the right wind, make sure thermals wont mess up the hunt, hunting corridors, 2/3 bedding elevation etc. Should I go further than normal to kill a big buck? I know this piece of land very well from scouting the past two springs and have beds located to hunt but some are so far out carrying in a heavy metal stand is not only noisy but heavy and strains on my bad back. Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated Thanks!

BHBH

I would make the effort to hang a heavier metal stand in a rut funnel and in the hills and hunt the crap out of it once the time is right (early Nov). As you know in the hills the bucks seem to come out of the wood work during the rut and cruz the hills sides looking for love. This will work as well on your over hunted private ground... once they heavy cruzing starts bucks will travel outside of their comfort zone and that is why they get killed
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 am

You can be very successful hunting from the ground if you find the right spot. It's far more difficult on pressured mature deer but it can be done. I find shooting a deer on the ground to be a lot more exiting, you need to bring you're A game..
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:59 am

If I hunt on the ground, I try to find 3 trees growing together or a good tight clump of vegetation to can get inside. This makes a good blind.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:44 am

wmahunter wrote:If I hunt on the ground, I try to find 3 trees growing together or a good tight clump of vegetation to can get inside. This makes a good blind.

When I got that doe from the ground I had a big oak right in front of me so I could draw back without her seeing me. Then she came to the other side and I shot her. I always like to have some type of tree right in front of me to breakup my outline and give an advantage when drawing back, then its like having two shooting lanes on both sides of the tree.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:12 pm

You certainly don't need a Lone wolf stand to hunt public, any treestand will work. The whole idea behind the Lone Wolf setups is not the stand its self, its that you are mobile and hunt lots of spots over the course of the year rather than always sitting in the same treestand over and over and over again. The reason the LW stands are so popular is because they are light and easy to hang and take down, not to mention fast. Any stand that is lightweight will allow you to be mobile if you chose, just give yourself enough time to do it each trip. Instead of leaving an hour before you want to be in the stand, leave 3 hours etc. The LW stands are not cheap, but they are worth it, and if you find your self short on cash, do like I did, sell your accumulation of pixie dust (every hunter is bound to have a good stash) on a garage sale etc and save your pennies until you can get one.

Now with that said, you do not even need to be in a stand to be successful although it will help. It is easier to see from the air and easier to control your scent most of the time, but that doesn't mean you have to be in a tree. There are lots of guys who hunt public on the ground successfully. Find something that works for you and then use it, if it means hunting off the ground great, if it means sitting in the crooks of tree's great, if it means having a LW stand and sticks great, just get used to it and you will do good. Hunt fresh spots, watch your scent, scout more than you hunt (this is where I struggle but I am improving) and have fun, the rest will fall into place soon enough.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:53 am

Hey Brad,
I love my LW stand and sticks and thats how i got mine was saving up my pennies.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 am

Sounds like a ground attack would be your best bet!
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Become a predator, make your body and mind part of your equipment, you have to outlast the deer and the other hunters.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:19 pm

I have to disagree with the ground guys. It sounds fun but I think you'll get picked off and busted more than any kind of payoff. I'd pinch pennies and purchase at least a used setup. I made a cheap climber work for years before I had good gear and I still killed bucks.

Being setup in the right tree to kill is so essential in my opinion.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm

I kill em from the ground quite a bit. 3d leafy suit and my Huntmore chair. Love it! Especially when they are traveling in an area with no huntable trees around.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
woody283

Unread postby woody283 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:46 pm

The huntmores are a great seat but for hunting from the ground, i would look at the Waldrop pack seat..Its like a Lone wolf for the ground.
Traditional Bow Hunter
Compton traditional Bowhunters
Wisconsin Traditional Bowhunters
Wisconsin Bowhunters association
Neosho Archers.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 pm

woody283 wrote:The huntmores are a great seat but for hunting from the ground, i would look at the Waldrop pack seat..Its like a Lone wolf for the ground.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, no thanks! Fake a Huntmore any day!

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”