drought affect on movement

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

drought affect on movement

Unread postby kurt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm

i ve notice alot dried up sloughs, creeks, and ponds littered with tracks. was always using a creek for my acess on a spot now dry and bumped deer on it coming out. I hunt beds early and use alot of water crossings for rut and or ponds to keep deer from down wind of me and alot of buck beds i have found beds on points jutting out into ponds or along water period it seems to have changed things. just curious to see what others have noticed and have been experiencing.

straitnarrow

Re: drought affect on movement

Unread postby straitnarrow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

I've noticed them bedding down in the marsh. Being that everything is dry, when i come across a place where the marsh grass is low or thin I have bumped them and have seen beds in these areas. I hunted with a buddy on a sod farm he has permission on and watched a lot of deer walk by me just out of range because the are using the drainage ditches to walk no instead of walking along them. He had the same happen to him also.
Bobby G
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Im seeing a drop in deer sightings in some of the dry marshes i usually hunt,like said before deer are taking over drainage canal that are now dry. Ive shifted my huntings too only marshes that are still holding water.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 pm

I am seeing more bedding in the cattails where it used to be under water, but the biggest bucks still seem to be using the primary beds that they historically have used.
I have also seen trails growing in that have been my access roughts thru cattails for years. Seems like the water at the bottom of the trail must of been part of what kept the trails open. This was a surprise to me...
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 am

It seems like more people are getting brave now that the marsh is dry and they don't have to get they're feet wet so that probably has some influence on moment. I think staying where it wet is a good strategy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”