Taking someone new

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Taking someone new

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 am

Headed out early tomorrow morning with a first time bowhunter, she is pumped....AND SO AM I!! Me and deerhunterdon scouted this bedding area and found tons of beds and went in last friday and trimmed lanes and hung a stand. Hoping on a mature doe or buck of any size for her. The little lady is my fiance. Wishing I had a video camera right now, thinking there's a great chance she's going to connect.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Taking someone new

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 am

Hopefully she has some beginners luck!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Hope your are gutting and dragging by now
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Thats fantastic. Let us know how it goes.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm

update everyone..we snuck in to a nice grass and tag alder thicket to our stand..wasn't even in the stand(morning) 5 mins and could hear a deer coming thru the grass. There was still 45 mins of before we could see, and low and behold its a nice buck, we could see his ivory white antlers he was right under our stands...wind was perfect and he was browsing before bed..he hung withing 15 yards of our stand until 5 mins before she could see her pins, then he wondered off and we heard him lay down only 100 yds away. We sat there until 10am, seen no more. I told her that he'd be back that night. She couldn't give her shift away at work, so she said go get him honey. So I went back out and 45 mins before dark I heard him get up out of his bed and make his way right by me offering me a broadside shot at 16 yds. I got a complete pass thru and it looked like a smoking shot. He ran in a circle and i heard him lay down back in his bed. I waited till dark and went and got deerhunterdon to help me. We recovered my arrow covered in blood and looked at first blood before heading to his bed. Found deep red blood with bubbles in it. Went to his bed to discover it was empty but there was alot of blood in it. We tracked till 11 pm..came back the next morning and picked up the blood trail only for it to peter out to drops then nothing. Searched after by combing circles found nothing. Absolutely sick and kind of shocked as to what happened. A few years ago I shot a doe broadside and the entry hole was lower than the exit hole, and upon inspection the arrow richoted of a rib. I'm wondering if this didn't happen and the arrowed richoted low out the chest and only took a piece of the lung. There was no guts or smell on the arrow. The buck was a nice 2.5 year old 8 point, narrow but tall with nice mass. She's coming out thursday and friday with me. Went and scouted another area and found 5 scrapes the size of my car and stinking with rubs tall up the trees and tine marks dug in. Was an area I took a nice 100" 8pt from last year and saw a good 130" 10pt from. Will update after those hunts.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 pm

new update, she drew on a mature doe tonight needed to take that one more step, but being windy the doe backed out and headed back the way she came. after she walked away, my girl looks at me like I did something wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: I simply told her we can try again tomorrow.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:24 pm

To bad about the buck...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm

sounds like your getting some good action...sorry to hear about the buck. Good luck to your fiance' the rest of the season< let us know if she whacks one
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Sounds exciting - keep at it!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 am

took both my boys out last night and a doe and her young one came in to about 25 yards, they were super pumped up. took my daughter with me this morning no luck, but she was very much excited and is bugging me about the next time we can go. Update also on my fiance; had one come in last night but never got into range until it was too dark to shoot, very impressed with the fact that when she drew to shoot and couldn't see her sights, but could the deer, she let down and let the deer pass.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:07 am

and about the buck, i still am bummed that i wounded and potentially killed and couldn't recover a nice buck. lost sleep about that one, i think we've all experienced that empty gut discomfort :doh:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Too bad about the buck and hood luck with the young hunters.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:01 am

another update, 5 sits for her with no oppurtunity's to shoot, she's going out tomorrow morning with me to a stand i seen a smaller 8 point at right below me. With the rut starting to swing into action, she has a chance to connect on some deer. my kids are coming with me in gun season, mr. buddy and ground blind, warm hot cocoa and snacks. love this time of year in our household. It's a lifestyle for us. oh yeah almost forgot, had to buy a deep freezer because two doe's fell to my bow, and a 7 point fell to our 2001 monte carlo :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”