how far will bucks travel for food?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deerhunterdon

how far will bucks travel for food?

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:30 am

Some of the places that I hunt have crops within a half mile, there are plenty of mast crops available , grass, acorns and water is always a couple steps away. I always figured that standing corn was the main destination for feeding deer to meander to during the night. am I mistaken ? I have always assumed I needed to get between the corn and a bucks bedding area , is it possible that a Buck could have a primary food source other than corn when there standing corn within a mile ?

Bucky

Re: how far will bucks travel for food?

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 am

I think acorns and soft mast might be higher on preference list.... But deer are browsers and they eat everything just about... My bet is bucks are browsing on acorns, natural forage etc on way to a late night feeding destination. So finding bedding areas is the way to kill The better bucks. I have seen deer in the hills travel over a mile or two to feed at night with trail cams

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”