where do the big bucks go ?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deerhunterdon

where do the big bucks go ?

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Ok we all know the scenario. We have trail cam pics of 5 big bucks, we have visually spotted them. They disappear around the middle of sept. I say they go mostly nocturnal until rut. Bed down in the thickets and sleep the daylight away. where I hunt they can bed right by water. and grass. plenty of corn to hide in. I know that even if I dont see them others have been scouting too and these bucks know it. I dont believe they all go to private, My area is 10,000 acres. too big for all of them to move. I have seen these deer stand in knee deep icy water in Dec for hours. find the smallest knoll to lay on. I believe they stay in the area. Im not always a believer in" they're all on private now " how bout you guys!

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: where do the big bucks go ?

Unread postby Swampthing » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:57 pm

I beleive there is yearling buck dispersal. But think once a buck calls a place home he stays there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:57 pm

They are still there..... and they get up during daylight. They will not move far... but there is a mature buck or two in 10000 acres

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Dan shot a slob that was on private most of the year and moved onto the public. Dont be fooled into thinking they all run to the private land once the pressure hits, there can be more pressure on the private in some cases.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Dan shot a slob that was on private most of the year and moved onto the public. Dont be fooled into thinking they all run to the private land once the pressure hits, there can be more pressure on the private in some cases.

That is so true. All of the places I hunt have heavy pressure. To illustrate, some of my target bucks are killed by other hunters (every year).
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 pm

If you are seeing slob on public land and then it disappears, the first place to check is always on Dan's wall. That is where most of them tend to go I think ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:21 am

Thats funny Goob! :lol:

Mature bucks go thru some changes in September and start being a little more nocturnal and more alert to whats going on around them... They are not hard for me to find. They can be hard to kill though... They are still in the area. They are bedding in areas where humans rarely go... This might be a spot that is over looked because it don't look like a buck hang out, or it might be a remote spot people don't go to... People leave scent, you can't mask or hide it. That ground scent will linger most likely for over a week if it don't rain. MATURE BUCKS HANG WHERE THAT SCENT IS RARELY SMELLED. Find the areas where hunters don't go... The other piece of the puzzle is that mature bucks move very little in daylight especially outside of the rut, so you have to be close to the bed.
Most of the mature bucks I kill are within 200 yards of there bed, most are even closer.. And even then, the kills are withing the last hour of shooting light and in a lot of cases the buck would not of made it 100 to 200 yards from the bed in shooting light, so a guy hunting food, trails, rubs, or scrapes really has to get lucky.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Look up!!!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 pm

Goober wrote:If you are seeing slob on public land and then it disappears, the first place to check is always on Dan's wall. That is where most of them tend to go I think ;)

Well said Goober !
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Well in my area most of the Big Bucks seem to be nocturnal and tuff to hunt. But they do leave clues to there warebouts thou you just have to be patient.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:58 am

ehd is claiming the ones in our 12,000 acre state game area....i've seen pictures of monsters gone!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Funny Goober.

I think they go were they are not hunted. Around here it is mostly private, we have tons of private land not hunted around here
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 am

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 am

spoke to the deer biologist for the federal game reserve, and the state side where we hunt, and they have 236 confirmed deaths from ehd, he also said they are figuring for another 100 or more due to the fact that alot of the area is remote and hard to reach. We found 15 they didn't figure in back in early october. He also told us that between both the state side and the federal side there is between 600-700 deer combined over around 20,000 acres, minus the 300-350 that are dead, and they are figuring deer herd to be in the neighborhood of 250-350 combined. Since we can't hunt the federal side unless you draw a permit, split those numbers in two and you have 125-175 deer per side on 12,000 acres for the state, and 9,000 for the federal. 50%-75% of the deer fell to ehd in our area of the state. it's the worst case ever recorded here in Michigan according to the biologists from both federal and state.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 am

You need to look EVERYWHERE! Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”