My Favorite Deer Rifle!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

My Favorite Deer Rifle!

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am

I wanted to get the personal feelings of "why" some of you have chose certain rifles or shotguns you tote. Some may be due to cost, while others have more meaning embossed in them. Here is my favorite....

For scouting/stalking in the big-woods I tote an old Winchester Model 94 carbine. It was a graduation gift from my grandfather. He received it new in 1940's from his boss, who owned a lumberyard, and has owned it ever since. His boss bought all of his workers rifles in the 40's then took them on a wilderness hunt in Michigan's Upper Peninsula way back when. Although he never killed a deer with it, it still holds value knowing old gramps hauled it back into the tangled cedar swamps in the good-old days. It is pristine and shoulders like a finely fitted weapon and I am extremely accurate out to 100+ yards with the open sights (it has no scope). It balances well in my hands and holds plenty of ammo if I am blazing away at a buck speeding through the tangles.
I am a huge John Wayne fan and I love the nostalgia behind the old Winchester lever guns. The Duke toted one in each of his western movies and it just screams "old-west" to me. I love the old Technicolor westerns as they stir my imagination. Holding an old lever action carbine in my hand gets me about as close to the old-west as I will ever get. I believe it is the "perfect" gun when loaded with silvertip 170's. Most will argue that the .30-30 is a lousy cartridge, but I would have to remind them that it has taken every game species in North America and the eskimos still tote them as defense against polar bears. The shooter is the formidable part of every firearm, not the load or cartridge. Make your shots count!

Let's hear about your favorite gun/cartridge combo.

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: My Favorite Deer Rifle!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:17 pm

My favorite rifle is my Remington bolt action 7 Mag- flat shooting, powerful and efficient it has accounted for the vast majority of my bucks. Together with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets, this gun is a wicked option for whitetail hunting.

For busting brush and deep swamp hunting, I have a Ruger .260 bolt action that has a super short barrel and is very light weight. It puts a hurt on whitetail bucks very similar to a 7mm-08 and its small size and light weight are great on those difficult trips in and out of swamp. Have to admit though, I sometimes still take the big 'ol 7mag just because I'm so comfortable with it- that and the fact that I know it's all over when I pull the trigger on that Beast! :)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 am

Im a Remington pump 7600 fan! Just like the Benoits! 8-) Fast shooting. reliable. Everyone in our 9 person camp shoots them! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 am

My "special" is a Remington bolt-action .257 Roberts action customized in a wood Mannlicher stock. Picked it up as part of a sellout of a an old gunsmith who went on to better places. It was his "deer gun". I sure love it and is a tack driver.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 am

Public Land Beast wrote:Im a Remington pump 7600 fan! Just like the Benoits! 8-) Fast shooting. reliable. Everyone in our 9 person camp shoots them! :D

Same rifle I use...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:18 am

dan wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:Im a Remington pump 7600 fan! Just like the Benoits! 8-) Fast shooting. reliable. Everyone in our 9 person camp shoots them! :D

Same rifle I use...

Great minds think alike! I've been shooting mine for about 30 years.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 am

I've owned two of the Remington pumps. One in .35 Rem and the pther was an "06. Liked them both but sold them when times were tough to pay some bills at home. I will own another of them in the carbine model.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:23 am

If I'm moving I like the 7600 18.5" barrel in 30-06 - open sights. It's the only gun I've ever owned that I can throw it to my shoulder and the sights are lined up right where I'm looking.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:29 am

martin peters wrote:If I'm moving I like the 7600 18.5" barrel in 30-06 - open sights. It's the only gun I've ever owned that I can throw it to my shoulder and the sights are lined up right where I'm looking.

Thats a good point... The 7600 seems really well balanced. Mine has a scope, but still, When it hits my shoulder it seems to be right on target, and doesn't wander on and off target like longer barreled guns that are front heavy. I just seem to lock on target.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 pm

blackwolf wrote:Remington bolt-action .257 Roberts

That's one of my favorite guns as well- I'm looking at it as I write this... a real tack driver that belonged to my grandfather. 8-)
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:24 am

I throw lead from a Browning White Gold Medallion 7mm and 30.06

Both are steller rifles - pretty to look at and a pleasure to shoot. I have grooves sanded out where I rest my cheek for comforts sake, and the bolt works like a dream. Shot a LOT of deer with these two rifles.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:14 am

7mm.08 bolt action! LOVE IT!
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:17 am

It used to be a Marlin 30-30 I shot a lot of deer with that gun. It just didn't always have the knockdown power I need on some of the public land I hunt, some A Hole Group have taken 2 nice bucks away from me saying they killed them. One I hit three time's last time I drop it, they shot got to it before me and put tag on it. I bought a Browning 7mm Mag Boss system it shoots fine but, is way 2 long to climb the trees I go up. I gun hunt public and my stand are Tamarack trees over looking cattails and the gun makes it a bear climbing in and out of trees. Some day we should have a chapter on all of the A Hole people that take other peoples deer that they didn't shoot.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:22 am

Just so you know I'm not to upset losing two nice bucks, I am still alive. The one deer I shot and didn't get, the guy came over without his Jacket on and was pointing his gun at me saying it was his. OK BUDDY hope you feel real big telling your friends how good you are at hunting.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:30 am

Some day we should have a chapter on all of the A Hole people that take other peoples deer that they didn't shoot.

Some day? How about now? I will start one... I lost a huge 6 pointer to a game hog / thief.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”