Public Portable Success / Failure

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Public Portable Success / Failure

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:10 am

stikman wrote: She was so close I could hear her chewing. She finally got around far enough and cut my track. She didn't spook bad, but hopped back 10 feet or so and slowly picked her way back where she came from originally. It was a great feeling, despite no arrows flying, sneaking in and setting up and then having deer at point blank.

You adapted to some difficult circumstances and ended up with a good hunt- great job stikman. 8-)

Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Getting out early is good. Last week I tried rushing to get to my spot because I was running a hour late. I ended up slipping on a embankment and got smacked in the back of the head pretty good by my stand. Nothing bad but it was enough to remind me to slow down and be safe, anything can happen out there. Also noise has been a factor for me, not so much in set up as trying to get through super thick tangles and stuff without getting my stand rig caught up in the brush and sticks. I don't know how many times I had a twig get caught in the stand and snap, the closer I am to my destination seem to increase the probability of that happening..lol.
stikman

Unread postby stikman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:17 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
stikman wrote: She was so close I could hear her chewing. She finally got around far enough and cut my track. She didn't spook bad, but hopped back 10 feet or so and slowly picked her way back where she came from originally. It was a great feeling, despite no arrows flying, sneaking in and setting up and then having deer at point blank.

You adapted to some difficult circumstances and ended up with a good hunt- great job stikman. 8-)

Thank you. I've had my week of hunting be unsuccessful with my new Beast style of hunting. However, I've learned more this week from sneaking into my positions and hunting marginally good winds. I consider my 40 hours of vacation burned worth every second in the marsh. I can't wait for opening week next year. As for now it's back to work and weekends only. :?
If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

Genesis 21:20 - speaking of Abraham and Hagar's son Ishmael:
"And God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow."
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 am

Badger wrote:Getting out early is good. Last week I tried rushing to get to my spot because I was running a hour late. I ended up slipping on a embankment and got smacked in the back of the head pretty good by my stand. Nothing bad but it was enough to remind me to slow down and be safe, anything can happen out there. Also noise has been a factor for me, not so much in set up as trying to get through super thick tangles and stuff without getting my stand rig caught up in the brush and sticks. I don't know how many times I had a twig get caught in the stand and snap, the closer I am to my destination seem to increase the probability of that happening..lol.

Your post reminds me of problems I encountered in the past as well- these are definite barriers to overcome in order to be successful. I really like Dan's suggestion of when he is within a hundred yards or so of his stand, he sits down on a log and takes 5. I have leaned against a nearby tree and done the same thing. I even set my stand and stiks on the ground "quietly" during the break, as I look ahead, relax and take a deep breath, and contemplate my final approach. I think this "timeout" really helps with that final approach and getting there successfully without tipping off a bedded buck. 8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:34 am

stikman wrote: Thank you. I've had my week of hunting be unsuccessful with my new Beast style of hunting. However, I've learned more this week from sneaking into my positions and hunting marginally good winds. I consider my 40 hours of vacation burned worth every second in the marsh. I can't wait for opening week next year. As for now it's back to work and weekends only.

yep, you have learned a lot and next year will be even better. with that being said, I want to tell you that hunting weekends from here on out is a challenge faced by many. also, i've shot a number of bucks near their beds even during the vaunted weeks of late october through november. if there is any amount of hunting pressure in your areas, you will be surprised at how well bucks maintain bedding until it is nearly dark. as always, the trick is knowing "when" that bed is being used by the buck- this is determined through past experiences / fresh buck sign appearing near the bed (i don't mean I'm looking within a hundred yards of the bed, but rubs / scrapes / oversized tracks appearing nearby), through the bucks appearance on trailcams in the area, etc.

if you are in an area with a lot of pressure, the bottom line is very basic and easily comprehended- the bucks that move during the daytime outside of their security zone get shot at or killed... it really is that simple. after the opener i still target overlooked and remote areas to find some decent bucks for my areas.
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:39 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Badger wrote:Getting out early is good. Last week I tried rushing to get to my spot because I was running a hour late. I ended up slipping on a embankment and got smacked in the back of the head pretty good by my stand. Nothing bad but it was enough to remind me to slow down and be safe, anything can happen out there. Also noise has been a factor for me, not so much in set up as trying to get through super thick tangles and stuff without getting my stand rig caught up in the brush and sticks. I don't know how many times I had a twig get caught in the stand and snap, the closer I am to my destination seem to increase the probability of that happening..lol.

Your post reminds me of problems I encountered in the past as well- these are definite barriers to overcome in order to be successful. I really like Dan's suggestion of when he is within a hundred yards or so of his stand, he sits down on a log and takes 5. I have leaned against a nearby tree and done the same thing. I even set my stand and stiks on the ground "quietly" during the break, as I look ahead, relax and take a deep breath, and contemplate my final approach. I think this "timeout" really helps with that final approach and getting there successfully without tipping off a bedded buck. 8-)

Thats a great idea. I think I'll add that as a necessary part of my routine, just sit down and really think about my final approach and relax a little. I bet that will help with noise issues as well just by not being burned out during that last push where it really counts. I'm really focusing on getting out early enough and slowing down
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 am

Badger wrote: Thats a great idea. I think I'll add that as a necessary part of my routine, just sit down and really think about my final approach and relax a little. I bet that will help with noise issues as well just by not being burned out during that last push where it really counts. I'm really focusing on getting out early enough and slowing down

That's a good plan.

When I penetrate deeply into one of my conifer swamps, by the time I reach my stand I have crossed muckholes that would hide a buffalo, climbed over numerous blown down trees, had my face swatted multiple times, stand stuck in nearly impenetrable cover, etc... my face is red, I am bleeding (sometimes in more than one spot)... to be honest I am teed off / hot / sweating like crazy by that point... my instinct is to plow ahead during that final approach and to heck with the deer...

but i force myself to remember why i am there, and make that final approach with a huge priority of stealth- otherwise you might as well not bother with it in the first place. It's just the way it is...
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Badger wrote: Thats a great idea. I think I'll add that as a necessary part of my routine, just sit down and really think about my final approach and relax a little. I bet that will help with noise issues as well just by not being burned out during that last push where it really counts. I'm really focusing on getting out early enough and slowing down

That's a good plan.

When I penetrate deeply into one of my conifer swamps, by the time I reach my stand I have crossed muckholes that would hide a buffalo, climbed over numerous blown down trees, had my face swatted multiple times, stand stuck in nearly impenetrable cover, etc... my face is red, I am bleeding (sometimes in more than one spot)... to be honest I am teed off / hot / sweating like crazy by that point... my instinct is to plow ahead during that final approach and to heck with the deer...

but i force myself to remember why i am there, and make that final approach with a huge priority of stealth- otherwise you might as well not bother with it in the first place. It's just the way it is...

Yep that sounds about right..lol.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:34 am

At least you guys have sunday. I dont even have that option without leaving the entire state. Im limited to 4 early season weekday hunts before the clocks shift out of favor for that and 6 saturdays other than vacation days. So I get 10 days of archery without taking paid time off. Our rifle season opens on a monday so thats another day to take if I decide to go.

Benefit for me is I work in a university that closes for a week at christmas when late season starts back up. Too bad daycare is closed the entire time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

jlh42581 wrote:At least you guys have sunday. I dont even have that option without leaving the entire state. Im limited to 4 early season weekday hunts before the clocks shift out of favor for that and 6 saturdays other than vacation days. So I get 10 days of archery without taking paid time off. Our rifle season opens on a monday so thats another day to take if I decide to go.

Benefit for me is I work in a university that closes for a week at christmas when late season starts back up. Too bad daycare is closed the entire time.

man, that's some tough sledding there... I know you'll make the best of the time you get. Circumstances and life events can certainly put a damper on hunting- it will be important to keep a positive attitude despite the setbacks.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:07 pm

SOME LEARNING/ SUCCESS

Great thread for us public land guys:

I had stated before about finally getting back in the stand after my accident. Well on my hunt the other day that i harvested the buck lets say climbing wasn't my best skill on the hunt. I found a tree and decided to climb. This being my first climb while hunting, I just picked the best tree closest to the trail i wanted to hunt. I have a ladder stand about 15 yards away but needed to get closer to the spot. The tree i picked had pretty smooth bark. I had been seen by a doe and had the ladder made a creaking noise when i tried to draw on a 110" 8 point the previous saturday. The buck didn't run but knew something wasn't right. I figured If i would set up above that stand and either of the deer came in and remembered my ladder stand, They may see it vacant and not be on edge. Plus the wind allowed my to be above my normal spot .

Well here gos the climbing part.

I attached the stand pretty quietly. Got everything ready And started my climb. I made my way up to about 18 feet and decide this looks good. I set my feet on the outsides of the platform and set it into the tree. I turn around and notice i climbed up the wrong way. I had to figure out how to spin around the tree. So i shimmy my feet over, get a grip, shimmy some more and set the stand. Ok this looks good. I go to sit down and realize the harness is to high. Stand up adjust the harness sit back down. THe seat and platform are not in line. Stand up sit back down. SLIDE! the seat slides about 4" and i have conjestive heart failure. After calming my self I adjust the angle of the cables and set the seat again. sit down. Have to slide the seat forward so i stand back up. Sit down again and OK its good. SLIDE! again. I turn around to see the seat section cable is resting on a knot in the tree. Adjust that and get set up. Pull my bow up and get settled. I dont have a bow holder on my stand yet so i had to hang on to it. I exhale a sigh of relieve and look to my left only to see two bucks sparring. Stand up again. Get ready. Watch them for a few mins then then slip over the ridge to an old logging tram.

I sit back down look to my right and here comes the little buck. He is running at me. I decide he is within the range of my 25 yard pin and is the buck that my 2 month old son saw scouting.

MEHH! stop him and wack. Smack him perfect. I heard the air in his lungs escape through the wound channel. I decided to climb down early since i new he was done for. Lowered my bow and decended down the tree with a big old smile on my face.

All in all from the first leg lift of climbing to the last decending down the tree may have been 25 mins. Not too bad for my first climber hunt. LOL I am still getting used to the climber but it was comfortable to sit in for the total of 3 mins my but was on the seat. I need to figure out where to set my seat height and harness. I am shooting a 29.5" ata bow so clearing the rail is not an issue. I am really pumped to be able to be mobile. I can already see how great it can be. I am keeping a log of how the deer are moving and at what winds in my honey hole. I will be picking out the best trees and trying to place myself in the best possible places along that ridge.

I will keep posting updates about my season and how well i am getting used to the climber.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 pm

sounds good Mike, and congrats on the buck. I'm looking forward to your reports.

Here is my anticipated set-up for tomorrow evenings hunt... hopefully a success rather than a failure. I have an excellent approach to my stand and a great chance of remaining undetected. I will be hunting adjacent to a buck bedding area (first sit on this bedding area this year) and the projected wind should be perfect- just off of the bedding area from my stand site. The projected wind will give some comfort to the bedded buck as he can stage my way toward food while quartering into the wind. A hundred yards or so behind me is a stand of over a hundred year old white and red oaks, and yes they are dropping acorns... not a ton, but enough to get a lot of interest from both turkeys and deer. (I just heard a red oak acorn bang off of my pole barn roof at home, the turkeys are tearing up my lawn...). Adjacent to the oaks are some young aspen trees as well... this is a big woods area.

I did a spot check for hunter activity in the area today, and I think my little honey-hole has remained undetected by other hunters (always a primary concern in high pressure areas.). So... I have a lot to try and pull off. Will my spot remain unpressured by other hunters tomorrow afternoon? Will my approach to the stand be successful without tipping off the deer? Will my anticipated approach of the buck be correct, or will I be surprised (happens often)? I'll report back on tomorrow's success or failure.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Good luck Scott!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:42 pm

You guys may need to help me out on this one.

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 pm

You can see How the wind will be affecting this spot. It is going to be a chilly night but warm up a bit in the morning then cool down in the evening. My main guess wil be there will be coming from the lower right and into the wind to get to the top of the flat. I have yet to have the wind crossing me at this stand location yet. The red lines facing up the ridge represent the anticipated thermal activity. I don't remember too many tips on hunting cross winds. I know the deer typically come up the ridge at this spot and this is the main terrain convergance. I was thinking of moving down the ridge and to the left some but try to keep in that Thermal tunnel. Any thoughts on a better stand set up. I know that there may be one guy hunting the point area in the lower right hand corner. My gut is telling me expect deer to be coming from the lower portion up to me. I need to know what way you think i should face as well. i am thinking facing south/west and going back off of the trail about 25 yards. That way i can have the best shot opportunity as a right handed shooter. Now know there are adecent amount of does in this area too. I will take my video camer out and moniter the action and maybe lay some video down in the stand. The wind will be changing a bit and having a more sever angle down the ridge.

Any insight on this guys? I think this thread is awesom. I also have to say there is an old logging road that skirts the entire length of ridge. I think they do use that and then pop up over the "saddle" or terrain convergence at my spot. I am so glad that i am starting to pay a lot closer attention to the wind. At least you can somewhat estimate what way they will be coming in. I can't wait to see my skills improve over this hunting season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”