The freezer is getting filled!!!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

The freezer is getting filled!!!

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 am

To get the full picture of this hunt you have to go back to the 2009 season when I drew my mule deer tag. I trained for the mountains, shot my bow religiously, and read every book I could get my hands on about mountain mule deer hunting. My hunting partner drew a once in a lifetime elk tag for the same time period as our hunt so I loaded up the chevy impala and headed towards the Rockies solo. That’s where things started to go wrong. In Denver my ears didn’t equalize and my ear drums ripped open due to the pressure (I flew before, and hunted the mountains for elk and never had this issue so it was definitely a surprise). I stopped at the ER and they gave me some meds and I was on my way to camp. I set camp and was into good deer right away. On the second day I started getting a loud ring in my ears, third day some pain, and fourth day unbearable pain. I went into town and the doc told me I had double ear infections and had to get out of the elevation before things got worse…MY HUNT WAS DONE. I drove home bleeding out of both ears! Fast forward to June 2012 and I checked the mail to find that I drew my mountain mule deer tag. First thing I did is I called my doctor and made an appointment to get the ear situation ironed out. I had a minor operation done and had permanent ear tubes put in so that I would equalize. I already started training and shooting since I anticipated drawing the tag. I loaded up the ford ranger on August 23rd, picked up m buddy and headed west. I arrived in camp with ears intact and made camp. Glassing a couple of areas revealed the deer were much lower than last time I was out. The drought was worse in this part of CO than it was in WI. Things were slow until the 4th day I had a good buck bed 30 yards away from me at 9:45 and I sat there until 1:00 when the wind revealed there was an intruder in his bedroom and he took off. On the fifth day I glassed a giant come to a water hole and I decided to sit that water hole the next evening. I got to the waterhole early and had does coming in almost instantly and then there was a couple of hours of nothing. About 45mins before dark I had 5 does and a fawn come in drinking and playing around but they kept looking down the drainage. I thought I heard something and slowly turned to see what it was and it was a buck and definitely one I was willing to take on the second to last day of my hunt. He bumped all the deer of the waterhole and started to drink. I ranged him at 36 yards and had a quartering away shot. I settled my pin and let the arrow fly and I lost it in flight 2/3 of the way to the deer, but it looked that it was going to find its mark. He jumped higher than Michael Jordan could and took off and stopped at 60 yards and hunched up and walked like he was gut shot. I recovered the arrow and it revealed a gutty smell, but a lot of dark blood. I assumed gut and liver. I backed out and had some dinner and told the guys at camp and we went back to look. I didn’t want to wait too long in fear of the black bears and coyotes finding him. My friend Mike came with and we were getting near the water hole when Mike shined the opposite side of the drainage and I saw an eye glow. We got closer and it was my buck. It went 125 yards and piled up. We quartered it up and loaded our packs. I was curious so I checked the guts and I nicked the guts, hit liver, and one lung with my shot. When I wrapped my hands on those velvet antlers the training, practicing, and research came full circle. I finally placed the last piece of the mule deer puzzle and can’t wait to start putting together the puzzle to the 2015 mule deer hunt. Good luck to everyone this upcoming season and stay safe.

Last edited by wiscbowhntr on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: The freezer is all ready getting filled!!!

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 am

Awsome! Love those hard to get Velvet antlers. Congrats to the first beast kill of the year! :clap:
Dewey

Re: The freezer is all ready getting filled!!!

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 am

Congrats! 8-)

Sounds like a great hunt. Sorry to hear about your past ear problems. That really sucks! :shock:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: The freezer is getting filled!!!

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:06 am

Hard core hunting! I love it! your a Beast! 8-)
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:35 am

Man that is the way a hunt should go down!! Congrats!
Awesome carpeted Muley.
bk123

Unread postby bk123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am

Good job!!! What a way to start the season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 am

Awesome hunt and great story - congrats! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Good Shoot'n!

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Great buck and story!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:18 pm

What a nice buck and a great story, glad to hear you got your ear issues figured out, that had to be unbearable pain. Congrats on a fine trophy!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:25 pm

congrats 8-) :clap:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Awesome story! Great buck! It sure is sweet when you earn your trophy after adversity. PERSEVERANCE!

Congrats!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:30 pm

Congrats on a hard earned buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm

Good job.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Congratulations! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”