My scouted areas died, now what???

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stikman

My scouted areas died, now what???

Unread postby stikman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:23 pm

I'm growing nervous here. In true Beast form, I hit the marsh hard this spring and found some awesome areas I would call "Buck Beds". One of the areas I bumped a nice looking 16" wide 8 pt from a couple years back when duck hunting. It's fresh with rubs from last fall again. Anyway... up until the corn got over waist high I had several deer in my spot light around these half a dozen or so bedding areas. Since the crops got tall my deer sightings have fallen short. In my last two trips out shining (between 3 and 4 am) I have spotted a single doe and fawn about a 1/4 mile south of the areas I really scouted hard. The last trip out, Monday night(8/20) I found a single field of clover nearly 3/4 mile east of these areas that had 15 doe and fawns in it... That's all! I have not been able to glass at dusk as I work 2nd shift, but I'm worried here as I have the first 10 days of bow season off(3 weeks away) and my scouted areas have gone dry so to speak. I'll keep shining and glassing until the season but I'm almost going to have to go for broke and strap on the ole Lone wolf, walk the transitions and set up on hot sign that I encounter... Any suggestions???

If we aren't supposed to eat animals why are they made of meat?

Genesis 21:20 - speaking of Abraham and Hagar's son Ishmael:
"And God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow."
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Re: My scouted areas died, now what???

Unread postby Badger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

sounds like they switched food sources. acorns are dropping heavy here and I haven't been seeing much action in the crops the last week or so. It's pretty common for deer to "disappear" like that. I wouldn't be to worried. Try to get out again and figure out what they're eating now.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 pm

As Badger said, thats pretty common this time of year and don't mean your spots are dried up. The deer are there, they have just shifted gears. When your doing your spring scouting its important that you look at the big picture and try to determine which beds are for what times of year and for what food sources. Acorns generally start dropping in August and beans dry up, and feild sightings just about stop, night and day. That don't mean the deer are not there. I am not seeing anything shining right now, and that don't bother me one bit. I know they are in the oaks, and I know with last summers drought the oaks on the marsh edge are producing the best crop, and I know which beds are closest, or are used mainly in conjunction with the oaks...
stikman

Unread postby stikman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks guys! I thought about this some more and realized the 2nd and 3rd bedding areas I've got my eye on are situated where a mature buck can see a parking lot to this public land spot(which I will not be parking in). They also have more than a dozen oaks within 100 yards along a creek from their beds. I can't wait to hunt these areas Beast style. Come on WI opener!

"And God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow."
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:30 am

When you stop seeing deer its kinda frustrating. I just keep telling myself that I know where they are and just be patient and it will all come together.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stikman

Unread postby stikman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:15 pm

I went shining during different time of night, earlier, from 10-1130 and wow, what a difference. Ton's of deer. My lack of deer sitings has made me branch out further than my pre-scouted spots. The list for post season scouting areas is increasing dramatically. Two weeks to go for this year's spots though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”