Question about MFLO's , FCL's

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Question about MFLO's , FCL's

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Are MFLO and FCL properties open to public hunting? If so, are there certain courtesies I should follow?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Brad

Re: Question about MFLO's , FCL's

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

They are open to hunting and other activities too although MFL is just for hunting and fishing I believe. The biggest thing to remember is they do not want you there, they will lie to you about it not being in the program, they will tell you its "full" (they cant regulate the amount of people on their at one time like Ag tag recipients can), and they will say its a different peice of land thats in. They sometimes post the land too (totally illegal, but it happens). Some of the land is awesome hunting, so keeping it a secret is key, because there are still a lot of people that do not know its public. Also, whenever you go on, be 100% sure you are on the right land, and have maps on you and in your vehicle to back it up. i have had confrontations over it, they want the tax breaks but do not want people on their land any more than possible. Last year I stopped in to inquire about where I should park (not required) as a courtesy, and the guy swore up and down I was wrong and that the DNR was too, but I stood my ground and we talked. Before it was over he gave me access to his 700 acre farm, most of which was not in the program.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Should I let the property owner know that I will be in the woods? And, what is the difference between FCL and MFLO? I tried googling the two and all I got was some weird techno trance band and something about ligaments in your leg.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Its MFL (managed forest law) and FCL (forest Crop Law). As far as talking to the owners It is up to you really, sometimes it might open the door to more hunting spots, but sometimes it might open up a can of worms you do not want to open. A lot of these properties may not even have the owner in the same state too, so sometimes its impossible to make contact with them even if you wanted to. To be honest the best thing to do (in my mind) would be to get dropped off and picked up, so they do not know you are there, and neither does anyone else. The other thing to note with these properties is only the part in the program can be hunted, and it might be land locked on their other land, however they HAVE TO PROVIDE ACCESS to it, and it is not illegal to walk across their other land to get to the part in the program, but you can not have a loaded weapon until you are on the part you can hunt. The biggest thing is be 100% sure of your actions or stay out, because it is very easy to trespass by accident.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. I got to look at a plat book today and there is some MFLO land up against some good public property with a thick swamp. There is a certain area I really want to get into. I can either take the very long difficult walk to this certain area, or use the MFLO property to get easy access to that area on the public land. There are no buildings attached to the MFLO either. Also, there are dozens of MFLO and FCL's in the areas Im hunting I would be interested in maybe checking out.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:30 pm

ive ran into the problem of trying to be nice and go talk to the landowner and he turns into a jerk and lies about his land and tells me i cant hunt it because his dentist is. needless to say the warden was called and his contract was yanked. :naughty: better off not talking with the landowner.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Besides hunting MFL you can sightsee,hike,x-country ski. So basically opening the door to scout.

FCL only allows you to hunt or fish
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:48 pm

I forgot to mention, as I stated that one or the other is only for hunting or fishing, no scouting, but coyote season is open year round ;)
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:44 pm

whitetail007 wrote:ive ran into the problem of trying to be nice and go talk to the landowner and he turns into a jerk and lies about his land and tells me i cant hunt it because his dentist is. [glow=red]needless to say the warden was called and his contract was yanked[/glow]. :naughty: better off not talking with the landowner.

Is this legit? Im very respectful, I do not want a confrontation from land owners ever, but at the same time, they need to understand the agreement they made to open their land to MFL. I want to make sure Im in the right when some ticked off land owner tries to boot me off the MFL land.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
whitetail007 wrote:ive ran into the problem of trying to be nice and go talk to the landowner and he turns into a jerk and lies about his land and tells me i cant hunt it because his dentist is. [glow=red]needless to say the warden was called and his contract was yanked[/glow]. :naughty: better off not talking with the landowner.

Is this legit? Im very respectful, I do not want a confrontation from land owners ever, but at the same time, they need to understand the agreement they made to open their land to MFL. I want to make sure Im in the right when some ticked off land owner tries to boot me off the MFL land.

That is why it is best if you don't talk to them any more than you have to, keep in mind most of these folks hunt this land too, they know they have to let you on there, but they generally are not very happy about it. If you know you are on the right land its awesome to hunt it, but be very careful, I have even heard of vandalism to vehicles etc. If I were you I would either get dropped off and picked up, or only talk to the landowner if 100% necessary. I have made contact with about 10-12 owners of these properties with maps in hand, and had a positive experience with one of them. Most will tell you the land is horrible and unhuntable (in some cases they are right) and that it is a long walk and not even worth it etc. Do not be afriad to hunt them, but make darn sure you know what you are doing because you can get in trouble otherwise.

On a side note there is a video series out called "whitetail Adrenaline", if you watch them you know they generally always hunt these properties, and you can witness first hand some of the drama that goes along with it as they have had and filmed plenty of run ins.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 am

Brad Lamont wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:

That is why it is best if you don't talk to them any more than you have to, keep in mind most of these folks hunt this land too, they know they have to let you on there, but they generally are not very happy about it. If you know you are on the right land its awesome to hunt it, but be very careful, I have even heard of vandalism to vehicles etc. If I were you I would either get dropped off and picked up, or only talk to the landowner if 100% necessary. I have made contact with about 10-12 owners of these properties with maps in hand, and had a positive experience with one of them. Most will tell you the land is horrible and unhuntable (in some cases they are right) and that it is a long walk and not even worth it etc. Do not be afriad to hunt them, but make darn sure you know what you are doing because you can get in trouble otherwise.

On a side note there is a video series out called [glow=red]"whitetail Adrenaline"[/glow], if you watch them you know they generally always hunt these properties, and you can witness first hand some of the drama that goes along with it as they have had and filmed plenty of run ins.

I know who those guys are. I seen the new DVD where the guy called the sheriff on them for crossing landlock to get into MFL. :roll: And the other incidents on their other videos. It seems the property owners in those incidents were being very careful themselves. You could tell by the way the talked and tried to cut corners assuming those guys didn't know what they were doing. I will be very careful. I assure you guys that. Is there a statute or something in writing I could carry with me in case if Im challenged by land owners? Seems like this type of hunting is going to require some diplomatic skills.
tutone84

Unread postby tutone84 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:19 am

Just a thought here, If your going to speak with the owner face to face, and you video your hunts, then you should video your conversation, videos make people nervous but they will usually be truthful with you when they are on camera...also makes good ammo if they get a little perturbed at you.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:30 am

I would go to www.widnr. they have all the info and maps. you can also chat with a dnr representative and they will address any questions you have. also like mentioned, be nice even if the land owner is a jerk. if you run into a disgruntal land owner, I would just say that your calling the dnr to make sure and other people have lost the privaledge of the program by not allowing hunters in. they may change their tune. thank them as well. even though you don't owe them thanks as they are getting payed, being curteous can open up the door to more opportunity.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 am

i always printed out the contract they have with the DNR, a plat map of there property line and an aerial of the property to keep in my vehicle just in case. i have almost totally wrote off hunting any of these lands due to always being hasseled and the number of stands and trail cams i have seen on most every property ive checked out.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 am

How do I get the contracts? I have a feeling I might not run into problems during bow season. I've narrowed it down to a few parcels Im going to enter with no buildings attached to them. I really have no intention to ruin anyone else's hunting area either. I want to keep any contact with property owners minimal. A couple of the MFL lands Im interested are pine tree plantations too. I know the owners of those are pretty cool with people hunting them in my area. Another parcel of MFL Im going to use to cross to get into public land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”