Stump/target shooting on public land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Stump/target shooting on public land?

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:10 pm

I just called one of our local wardens and asked him if it was legal to use state land to Target/stump shoot. He told me that he really did not know???? I know it is not legal with a firearm, not sure about archery. Then he told me to look in the regulation book and if it was not in there I was ok. Not too sure that I want to go with that. I used to do it when I was a kid with my dad, but that was many years ago. How the heck do I find out if the warden cannot tell me? This is wisconsin.

An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Brad

Re: Stump/target shooting on public land?

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Are you sure you werent shooting at a squirrel instead of the stump :mrgreen:
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:20 pm

I practice on county land....I just make sure there is a large back stop(hill, berm...etc).
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Not sure exactly but I know areas of state land like Kettle Moraine have a rule about no target shooting year round.

Seems odd a warden wouldn't know the answer. If he didn't you would think he could at least find out and contact you to give you an answer. :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Dewey wrote:Not sure exactly but I know areas of state land like Kettle Moraine have a rule about no target shooting year round.

Seems odd a warden wouldn't know the answer. If he didn't you would think he could at least find out and contact you to give you an answer. :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I know , I thought it was kinda bogus he could not give me a definite answer. Gonna call headquaters tomorrow and see what they have to say about the place I want to go....
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 am

I've done it. Not sure if it's legal though. Stump shooting is awesome practice, I don't do it as much any more because my arrows are like 10 bucks each. I was thinking about getting a cheaper half doz. just for beating up
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:18 am

Not legal...

You may not target practice on public hunting land. You are only allowed to discharge your weapon at legal game animals in Wisconsin.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 am

This happened a few years ago, I need to call my pops and get the info again. It was one of his co-workers kids if I remember right. Anyways, they were out plinking around with some tricked out Ruger 10/22's on public, during a legal season. Someone saw them walk into the woods with their rifles and called them into the warden. Said there were people out shooting with fully auto assult rifles. I forget how it all went down but I remember something about Milwaukee County SWAT team coming in and taking them down. They got tickets from the Warden but fought it and won, I don't think it even got to court. I got to talk to my dad again about this. It was a really good story. Pretty much the Warden looked like a complete A-hole and had to apologize to them. I think he called in the SWAT after monitoring them, knowing it wasn't fully auto weapons. I dont' remember fully. I'll get the info again, it's worth it. But I do remember one of the gripes was that one of them shot a stump with no game around it.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 am

dan wrote:Not legal...

You may not target practice on public hunting land. You are only allowed to discharge your weapon at legal game animals in Wisconsin.

Dan, Did you read that in the regs or ??? From talking to the warden and from what I read I am taking it as meaning firearms? Of course I could be wrong But I would like to know for absolute certainty.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 am

I have read it, heard it from wardens, and seen it taught in hunter safety.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:14 am

never has or never will be legal to target shoot on public land. most parking areas on public land have signs saying its prohibited.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”