Bored with my private land.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Bored with my private land.

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 am

I live in Illinois which seems great to a lot of people because of the big deer we have. But access to private land is something I have not really been blessed with. I have access to two properties that consist of twenty acres of woods each. I rarely see deer at either place but have continued to hunt them because I am the only one with permission there. With woods that small yearly scouting is not needed. I already know every tree on both places. So this year I began scouting a 10,000 acre piece of public in Indiana and will be hunting there this fall. I know what some are thinking? Why would you hunt public in Indiana when you live in Illinois? The reason is simple. In my part of Illinois the public land areas are small and getting away from other hunters is impossible. I went to college in southern Illinois and was able to hunt the huge Shawnee national forest. Boy do I miss those days! Endless places to scout and hunt! But the Shawnee is four hours away now. I am one of those guys that enjoys scouting as much as hunting. So it has been a lot of fun to be scouting large chunks of land again. I get bored quickly with small chunks of land. Too many restrictions.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

muskieman

Re: Bored with my private land.

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:11 am

I agree with you. I have access to my grandparents land which is 65 acres. I mainly hunt there because its tradation with my Dad and a few uncles and a cousin. However it gets pounded very hard as does the neighboring property's. No more scouting really as I know every tree and what not. Thats why I enjoy hunting the huge WMA 20 miles away. Way more scouting and I can hunt new areas. If it wasnt for tradition with family I would go 100 % public....
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

I agree as well... I don't like hunting properties that don't have room to roam or at least buck bedding. I have a few super small properties that I hunt but they are thick and have water....

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 am

Ive always dreamnt of having my own private land. But i also think i would still be wandering around all over the place. Its just not much fun when you know every square invh of ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Nice to see you post Jon...

I hunt in rural areas @ the beginning of the season and by end of Oct (6-7 weeks) I am ready to pound the big woods and get some snow for tracking/roaming.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I hear what your saying, those small tracts can be tough. The deer are either there, or they arent. If there is pressure, they rarely "make it to your wood lot" before dark. Going in for an afternoon hunt can bump them out. I realise its not your property, but do you think the land owner(s) would let you bring 1 guy with you? Reason I ask is your potentially sitting on a great opportunity to "trade a hunt" with somebody else with private land in another state. You could offer to film their hunt while they are here, and they could return the favor. Just a thought.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
fredhill

Unread postby fredhill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

where in IL are you? i hunted there all through the '90's, my last season being '00, then they capped nonresidents and doubled the prices in '01. i had access to thousands of acres and i was the only one hunting. this was all knock on door for permission stuff.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:09 pm

I hear you, I have access (not sure for how much longer) to a great piece of land to hunts, 100's of acres of woods, and like 600 acres of crops. It has everything, and is fun to hunt, and I have done well, but yet I still find myself thinking about the public land rather than the golden private land. I love huge properties and the challenges that go with them.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Fredhill I live in Kankakee but I have hunted public land nearly everywhere in the state. The non-resident cap has essentially been removed. The leasing thing has taken hold to the point that almost everyone pays to hunt. I know guys that pay thousands to hunt twenty or thirty acres of woods. Because of all of this the public land in Illinois has seen many more hunters in the past ten years. They are comprised of some non-residents but mostly they are residents that have lost their hunting grounds. Illinois is still at the top as far as big buck hunting goes but things have changed. Due to the decline in big bucks here I do feel things will eventually turn around since many are jumping ship for Iowa and Kansas. In light of all this I have simply adjusted my goals as far as hunting goes. Quitting is not an option. That would be like someone telling me to quit breathing. I have accepted the change and will roll with the punches. I have hunted public and private but the fact of the matter is unless the private is very large which is nearly impossible to get in on here without a lot of money, I quickly lose interest. I like to scout a lot. When the deer leave the area I am hunting I like to find them and hunt them again. This is just not possible on little tracts of private ground. The past few years I hunted the best spots on my small parcels of private over and over while rotating positions and simply lost interest. Scouting is the actuall hunting. Sitting in your tree is reaping the benefits of intelligent scouting. Sitting in a tree with little or no scouting only cheapens the entire experience. This is all just my opinion though.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Go for it!!! Restricting yourself to small acre private land is doing more harm than good anyway.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:34 pm

jonsimoneau wrote:Fredhill I live in Kankakee ........

I caught my first fish in the Kankakee River back in the 60's. Bluegill I believe, I need to look up that picture.....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 am

I would be bored with those conditions too. Can't wait to hear how you do this year!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 am

Smart move... I would suggest scouting new areas every chance you get.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:34 pm

I agree with you I hate hunting small parcells of private land I do it thou just because It's close to home and I can sneek out after work being it's only like 10 minutes from home. The only problem that I have with it is the land owner lets to many people on there and it's like hunting public land. Also I do have a tract of private ground that is about 120 acres and it's just one big woods that I share with a friend of mine. I also hunt a 1000 acres public that I've seen some monsters in Western MN that I hunt because I've had good luck with. I've also am thinking about hunting a 3000 acres of public land that I found on the way to the lake because I'm curious about this spot and I want to check it out.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:49 am

Indiana is 96% private land and I have to drive about an hour and a half to the closest areas. I prefer the southern part of the state but its 4 hrs and too far to hit on a weekend. The small parcels get old quick, I have a few I still hunt but they are only good for one or two sits a year. The small parcels are more like just sitting not actuall hunting. I hate it when you know where the buck live and bed but dont have permission and have to just hope they get to your little spot before dark.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”