Bored with my private land.

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigb
500 Club

Re: Bored with my private land.

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Northern Illinois and Shawnee and like Night and Day. I went to SIU as well before I transfered to the U of Kansas and pretty much hunted Crab Orchard every day of the season. I was more into small game back then (looking back I wish I would have been more into Deer) but the deer on Crab were huge. I'd probably see a 130 plus every week rabbit/quail/pheasant hunting.

Now I live in downtown Chicago and will say I have got lucky with my hunting spots. I met a guy on a forum like this a few years back that had a 450 acres 3 hrs south of the city that is 70% woods/30% ag and he only turkey hunts. I'm pretty much the only one who bow hunts it with my other buddy. Great spot to hunt and he has become one of my good friends.

I also found a few small 3 acres or less spots that border forest preserves within 25 miles of downtown Chicago. I only really hunt one spot now and there are I only get pics of a couple slobs a year but there are some does and smaller bucks there and great to fill the freezer with. Now since I spend so much time on the 450 my dad really just crossbow hunts the small spots now.

From what I hear and have heard Indiana is getting better and better. I used to drive to Indy a lot and would see some huge bucks on the drive. Some people have told me that one buck rule is really making the herd a lot better.

Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 am

Years ago I put into place the idea of always trying to fish some new water. New river, maybe a new section I haven't fished, etc. Through this I have become a better fisherman and have found some awesome places. This year I told myself I would take the same principle to bowhunting. I have scouted a bunch of National Forest land that I haven't hunted before and have come up with some awesome looking spots. It seems to keep me raw, excited, and on the edge of always learning. Scouting is as much fun as the hunting to me now and I am glad I have put forth this approach. I believe like my fishing it will pay big dividends this fall.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:38 am

I am sure we all can relate in one way or another. I hunt quite a few small pieces of private and feel limited in regard to scouting and how I can hunt these pieces. I hunt some big public where there is no issue about room to roam but the quality of the hunting isn't great or even good.
I try to add a few more spots each year whether public or private. It keeps that sense of excitement up and overall increases my odds at taking better deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”