lights on for safety?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

do you use a light for hunting safety?

I never use a light, never needed to.
7%
I use a light on public, but not on my private land areas.
10%
It depends on how much hunting pressure I find in the area.
3%
I use a light part of the time, but not always.
44%
I always use a light.
37%

Total votes: 165
PLB
500 Club

Re: lights on for safety?

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 pm

Stanley wrote:Don't use a light.

Why?? I guess I just don't understand the reason for not using a light??

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I always use a light.....even on private.
this year I am using a Fenix PD32. Awesome little flash light......best I have ever had
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 pm

A couple years back I started to use a headlamp after hearing some horror stories of people getting shot in the woods by hunters thinking they were deer. There was even a state trooper out hunting in a local WMA last year that shot a woman walking her dog just before dark. Luckily, she survived. So yes, some sort of light has become standard for me now. Also, if I'm in a heavily hunted area, I might even whistle a tune on the way out :whistle: .
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 am

NatureBoy wrote:A couple years back I started to use a headlamp after hearing some horror stories of people getting shot in the woods by hunters thinking they were deer. There was even a state trooper out hunting in a local WMA last year that shot a woman walking her dog just before dark. Luckily, she survived. So yes, some sort of light has become standard for me now. Also, if I'm in a heavily hunted area, I might even whistle a tune on the way out :whistle: .

I have whistled a tune before on the way out!

I bumped this up to get any updated views / close encounters of light / no-light kind!
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:37 pm

I used to try to go without a light but feel that I make less noise and spook fewer deer with a light than without. When I have a light I often see deer a ways ahead of me so I just stop and they move on very calmly. When I would go without a light I would get closer to them and they would bolt, scaring the crap outta me and would often stop to blow as well

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
woody283

Unread postby woody283 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

My headlamp has red blue green and white. I use the bright white for 3/4 of the walk in then switch to the green for the final approach, then use the red to climb. And then keep it handy until light. I have had guys walk to within 30yrds from me and set up not knowing I was there. I feel you will spook less game with a light then trying to get there attention with a noise.
Traditional Bow Hunter
Compton traditional Bowhunters
Wisconsin Traditional Bowhunters
Wisconsin Bowhunters association
Neosho Archers.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 pm

I rarely ever use a light, it is only to see with.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 am

I see we had another thread on light usage in the dark while entering / exiting a stand. here's what I wrote...

mah two pennies!

Every once in a while it becomes necessary to step up on the 'ol soap box and call a spade a spade... if it will save a life, I'll do it.

It is simply FOOLISH, in my opinion, to not use a light while entering or leaving a stand when it is dark out. Here's a few of my thoughts-

** we have a lot of guys on the Beast that think they have high hunting pressure in their areas... REALLY? If you haven't had multiple run ins with guys in trees after dark, private or public, you may need to rethink that! "I've got high hunting pressure because one of my neighbors shot a buck I had on trailcam... " lets get serious, folks.

** it doesn't matter if you have high hunting pressure or not, sneaking in by moonlight is putting your life and your family's future in jeopardy. All it takes is one bad apple to shatter your life. A lone trespasser sneaking into your "exclusive, private spot" is on edge and much more apt to take the shot at a noise in the dark in order to get the poaching/trespassing job done and get out of there.

** you really need to attempt to understand the mentality of some of these violators... not everyone is like you and they certainly do not think like you. If you don't think there are people out there willing to shoot in the dark at a noise... perhaps your genes were meant to be eliminated from the pool?!? I don't really mean that last statement, but THINK ABOUT IT!!

** I know, you've never heard of anything like this in your area... right? So why should you have to worry about it? Go back and read that second paragraph! Learn from those of us who have to deal with this stuff on a frequent basis!!

** I have ran in to guys in trees WAY after dark on public and private- I can assure you they are out there. In 2011 I took my stand down at dark and began the LONG journey out of the deep swamp hunting area. While approaching the clearing on the high ground where my truck was parked on a woods road, I suddenly heard from a pine tree way above me... "Frank, is that you??" Not having your light on, even right next to your parked truck, can put you in jeopardy. This is but one of many incidents I have endured.

** I have personally spent a couple of frantic hours of my life doing everything I know to save the life of a young bowhunter shot through the chest by his buddy as he approached his stand after dark. As the lead supervisor of an EMS system, my knowledge and abilities were put to a critical test as I hauled the young man out of the deep woods to a waiting ambulance and trauma team. The thoracic surgeon personally showed me the xray of the insert blade that dislodged from the broadhead less than a quarter of an inch from the aorta...

** In 2010 I had a hunter shot and killed a few miles up the road from me- no chance to save that one...

Did my post rub you the wrong way? I actually hope so and hope that you will at least give this danger the thought it deserves.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:44 am

I used to never use a light, but now a days I do most of the time. I fell in a drainage ditch, thinking it was another 30 yards up. Stand to the base my my skull really felt good. I am by far more quiet with the light. About spooking game.... What about useing a red light, I think the other hunters will be able to see it still?
SB. You bring up some valid arguments for light use, excellent post. I will be useing a light on my hunts.

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:I used to never use a light, but now a days I do most of the time. I fell in a drainage ditch, thinking it was another 30 yards up. Stand to the base my my skull really felt good. I am by far more quiet with the light. About spooking game.... What about useing a red light, I think the other hunters will be able to see it still?
SB. You bring up some valid arguments for light use, excellent post. I will be useing a light on my hunts.

yeah there's been a lot of good posts about this, i'm really surprised outdoor writers haven't gotten more into it.

bottom line, in high pressure areas it deserves some thought and consideration... really, its in all areas if you think about it. when you talk with Dan and he's gone through hearing an arrow being drawn above him in the dark, and the hunters getting shot in my neck of the woods- whatever decision we make at least it needs to be an informed decision.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:54 am

bump
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Good post SB, no reason not to have a light on. I usually have a light and a backup light and a lighter if things get bad. Not to mention a compass and a backup compass.

I will also say most people get shot during those low light conditions in the morning and after dark. Yes it can be nice to walk out and see a little but that is the worst time to be on the move. Hunt late and take your sweet time getting out of the woods, it might take a little longer but it might save your life.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:10 pm

I ALWAYS use a light. Too many horror stories and I have caught a trespasser on my land before... Never know who's out there. I always wear my orange too. I'm surprised at the story of a state trooper shooting the woman with a dog. If anyone should know to identify their target it should be him! How can someone make that mistake. If it's too dark to identify your target it's time to pack it up. I once had a very big body deer come out right before shootable light.... I could just see the silhouette.. But because the guy has cattle on his land, who's to say exactly what it was... It was moving like a deer in rut not like a cow, and didn't look near as big. I'm sure it was a deer and a fairly good sized one but I couldn't be sure.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:12 pm

headgear wrote:

I will also say most people get shot during those low light conditions in the morning and after dark. Yes it can be nice to walk out and see a little but that is the worst time to be on the move. Hunt late and take your sweet time getting out of the woods, it might take a little longer but it might save your life.

Good point! That huntable gray light where you don't need a flashlight can be dangerous!

basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Keeping my head lamp on from now on!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”