lights on for safety?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

do you use a light for hunting safety?

I never use a light, never needed to.
7%
I use a light on public, but not on my private land areas.
10%
It depends on how much hunting pressure I find in the area.
3%
I use a light part of the time, but not always.
44%
I always use a light.
37%

Total votes: 165
tmarbut

Re: lights on for safety?

Unread postby tmarbut » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:45 am

Am thinking yes on flashlights now. Used to not want to use them if at all possible.

I would rather make it to my destination in one piece as opposed to visiting the ER or being measured for a pine box.

My kids love the little 'Glo-Sticks'...that might be a good way to keep from being mistaken for a deer in low or no light while not having to use a flashlight. Of course, I would then become a great target for some good jokes instead of a bullet or arrow! Hmm, might have to rethink that one.....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 am

I try to always have a flash light on me in the public land I hunt. There have been times I have forgotten it or the batteries die and I have to walk out without it. During archery season it doesn't bother me to bad but during firearm season its a pretty eerie feeling and I make sure I cough a lot or whistle on the way out. Ive even used my cell phone so I have something illuminating a little.
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:31 pm

I've herd too many stories of guys getting shot at in the dark when they don't have their light on. I walk with it on. My Dad told my about a guy he worked with that was walking thru the woods and some guys shot at him and sent an arrow thru his backpack. That's enough reason for me
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 pm

If i suspect there is even a chance of walking by someone i will have my light on red or green. People are too unpredictable and its not worth the risk.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Looks like Ill have to keep my light on from now on I don't want an arrow in me
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:02 am

TallTines wrote:Looks like Ill have to keep my light on from now on I don't want an arrow in me

I saw in Field and Stream magazine last fall that they had an article that contained advice on how to improve your chances of getting a good buck... they suggested sneaking in to your stand with no flashlight. I meant to write them a letter as to how irresponsible of a statement that is for a magazine that is read across the country, but never got around to it.

I think a lot of writing and tactics we read about or watch on tv or video are geared to hunters in a private property, no hunting pressure "dream world." The damage that this can create for the masses (heavy pressure public and private) is real.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:54 am

I'm kind of in an opposite situation... Real thick and nasty swamp, that very few hunt... Often I am miles deep and travelling through saw grass or thick stuff and I know no one is back there.... Then it makes me think if someone ever was back there, I bet they would "know" no one was back this far as well.... And may just shoot in a thicket at movement.... So I whistle a tune or something cause it makes me nervous lol.... I always wear my orange and a light
Make It Happen
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Swampbuck wrote:I'm kind of in an opposite situation... Real thick and nasty swamp, that very few hunt... Often I am miles deep and travelling through saw grass or thick stuff and I know no one is back there.... Then it makes me think if someone ever was back there, I bet they would "know" no one was back this far as well.... And may just shoot in a thicket at movement.... So I whistle a tune or something cause it makes me nervous lol.... I always wear my orange and a light

When you hunt in high pressure areas, you get to meet some fine, upstanding citizens... and you use a light! :lol:
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I'm kind of in an opposite situation... Real thick and nasty swamp, that very few hunt... Often I am miles deep and travelling through saw grass or thick stuff and I know no one is back there.... Then it makes me think if someone ever was back there, I bet they would "know" no one was back this far as well.... And may just shoot in a thicket at movement.... So I whistle a tune or something cause it makes me nervous lol.... I always wear my orange and a light

When you hunt in high pressure areas, you get to meet some fine, upstanding citizens... and you use a light! :lol:

Yep...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fauxfly

Unread postby fauxfly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:02 am

"Fine, Upstanding citizens" - - I'm on the floor laughing at this one - SB - yer OK!! I hunt public exclusively and have always used a red LED head lamp on walking in on early mornings, and also on the way out.

I also subscribe to the theory last one out on the public blocks - for safety...one night a couple years back I was walking back out to the truck, noticed another truck was parked next to mine. Got to the truck and it was my local warden - asked if I was familiar with hunting hours. I assured him I was, was also more than happy to show him where I was coming from and explain why I was walking out almost an hour and a half past quitting time. I proceeded to show him where I was set up on my map, he was happy after that.

He also said he figured I couldn't be up to too much if I was walking out with a head lamp on!!

Just another reason to use a light when hunting!!

I forgot who posted it but the guy who says he doesnt use a light because he only hunts private, my Dad and I were accused of trespassing on our own woods from a guy who showed us his hand gun!! Private is nice - but not the final answer!!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:37 am

I don't see how a guy can be silent walking blind in the saplings and tangles/brush unless a clear sky with a full moon. After it gets dark the forest just looks different to me and i made a slight wrong turn or 2 and made a lot of noise getting out with a flashlight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:24 am

The whole conversation is a reality check and yes it can happen to YOU.

Please be careful this season guys. I'm getting used to reading all your success stories.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:29 am

I always use a light myself. I'm much quieter on the way in. Also, since deer can see at night, they're going to see me with or without a light on. Therefore, I may as well be safer and have it on. And with how effective, compact and light headlamps are these days there's almost no reason to not use one.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am

I have always used a light, it eases my mind that the people who may be around me see a light before shooting.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Last year in the same issue of F & S that contained Dan's article I read a different article where they encouraged hunters to use stealth to be more successful... and one of their recommendations was to not use a light while going to or from a deer stand.

I'm not sure what dream world some of those folks must be in, but to encourage people to do that on heavily pressured public land is... less than responsible. I was going to write them a letter but I never got around to it. I think some of the publications, shows and hunters contained within them are so out of touch with the reality of pressure that most of us face, their suggestions and techniques hold little value. Thank goodness guys like Dan are out there fighting the good fight- and being successful with their tactics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”