opinions on public ground around lacrosse co. wi

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbob

opinions on public ground around lacrosse co. wi

Unread postby bigbob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm considering going across the river to do some hunting with a friend that lives in lacrosse county wi. I've been doing some map studies on public ground in the area. There are some big parcels of land but right now my biggest concern is how close they are to lacrosse. I was just wondering if any of you guys have hunted the general area and what your opinions are as far as if there are some good bucks to be had and more importantly what the pressure is like in these areas. Thanks

Jackson Marsh

Re: opinions on public ground around lacrosse co. wi

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:17 pm

I've hunted Rush Creek wildlife area during the rut and if you are willing to climb hills the pressure wasn't too bad. I had to pass on a nice 10 pointer a few uears ago because I did not have a buck sticker (EAB) at the time.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm

I have not hunted there, but I travel through there every year going to SE Minnesota...I can say I always see a ton of deer in and around Lacrosse...as a matter of fact, the biggest deer I have ever seen alive in Wisconsin was standing darn near in the city...he was on the highway right at the exit sign into Lacrosse...easy 170+ deer. I get very confused with the way the roads are labeled there...I have driven around south of town a time or two by those huge grassy marsh fields, I think the road may have been BB or something goofy like that. I have seen so many deer in that area it is bound to be decent hunting
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:15 pm

So if a guy is willing to put in some brain and footwork they might be able to find some decent opportunities? Jacksonmarsh we were looking more specifically at coulee experimental forest(?) any opinion there? Lots of ridges but also lots of trails/access there.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:05 pm

If there is a lot of hiking trails, I would keep looking, but it depends on the property. If there was a decent sized stream (one that cannot be crossed in knee boots) I would be more interested. Having to use waders to cross a stream cuts way down on the number of hunters using an area.

Hiking trails or not, I bet with some leg work and brains you would have some decent opportunities.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:31 am

Hiking trails or not, I bet with some leg work and brains you would have some decent opportunities.

I agree... Thats a good area. The trails narrow down your search for good spots by showing you right where everybody else gos. Find the spots every one else misses either due to remoteness, or being overlooked and you will find the bucks.
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:21 am

thats about what I was thinking Dan. There are a few pockets in the area that have no trails or only one with a good long walk to the parking lots. I guess the plan will be to focus on those areas and hope that after we put a ridge or two between us and the trails that the pressure will drop and hopefully find some good spots. Sticking to these pockets will definitely cut a huge slice of the 3,000+ acres to a much more manageable size. The county harvests, population and aerial photos look pretty good so hopefully things will come together.
bigbob

Unread postby bigbob » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 am

thats about what I was thinking Dan. There are a few pockets in the area that have no trails or only one with a good long walk to the parking lots. I guess the plan will be to focus on those areas and hope that after we put a ridge or two between us and the trails that the pressure will drop and hopefully find some good spots. Sticking to these pockets will definitely cut a huge slice of the 3,000+ acres to a much more manageable size. The county harvests, population and aerial photos look pretty good so hopefully things will come together.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:04 am

The topo on that place is incredible!

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 am

I have never hunted Coulee, but I have scouted it. I was able to find several good looking buck beds that looked promising. Big buck tracks were not hard to find. Also, I have heard from locals that there are several good bucks that get taken out of there each year. I would also check out the Coon Valley area.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:06 am

I looked at it pretty hard a few years ago. Never been there.

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Ive been looking at hunting around here problem is s lot of the access is near the top of the hills like rush creek. Not sure how that changes things?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 pm

Ive scouted and hunted coulee. It's good stuff but no shortage of pressure. There are definitely nice bucks in there but like most WI public every year it gets harder and harder to break away from the crowd and find the spots where the best bucks feel safe. More guys are simply willing to go the extra mile.

Good luck. I think you will be happy with the area regardless. Beautiful country.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:22 pm

I know of two good public properties I hunt in Lacrosse county. I grew up and live in that area. Look up the mfl land too. If you are willing to go the extra mile you can find some slobs in that county. I have friends that hunt LaCrosse county and have killed huge ones over the years.

PUBLICbowhunter

Unread postby PUBLICbowhunter » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:28 am

I hunt and scout the experimental forest. I can tell u there are a lot of people willing to walk everywhere. Makes it super tough to find a unhinged spot. I've found that some of the best spots are the easiest to get to spots. I've had great success at Fort McCoy in South camp as well as black River state forest way less people willing to drive a ways for the deer

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”