Cattail Marsh Stands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Cattail Marsh Stands

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:46 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
mibowhunter wrote:...That, and I can only imagine the size of some of the bucks out there buried in those cattails - every time I hear an approaching deer my heart will probably start racing until I can get a visual on it.

That's what it's all about right there. 8-)

mibowhunter wrote:EEEESSSHHH, that's not cool. At least he was patient enough not to let the arrow fly at the first sign of movement... on some of the public I hunt here in MI, I would bet money an arrow would have been on its way already.... yikes...

A friend of mine was walking to his stand in the morning without a flashlight when he was shot in the eye with a four blade Satellite broadhead by a guy that mistook him for a deer. My friend was fifteen when it happened.

scary stuff. I have worn orange during bow season on the way to and from my stand because of this reason. there are a lot of stupid people with bows and guns that do not belong having them.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:46 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Dan,
How far off the trail do you like to sit?

15 to 20 yards
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:54 am

BuckHunter1988 wrote:hey lance that makes me scared to come hunt the marsh with you. I think if I come out I might have to bring a spotlight so people know im coming through.

That happened about 30 years ago. Nothing like that has happened out there since as far as I know. It's amazing he lived. He almost didn't make it due to massive blood loss. If you see somebody on a forum from Michigan that goes by "One eye" that's him. ;)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
BuckHunter1988 wrote:hey lance that makes me scared to come hunt the marsh with you. I think if I come out I might have to bring a spotlight so people know im coming through.

That happened about 30 years ago. Nothing like that has happened out there since as far as I know. It's amazing he lived. He almost didn't make it due to massive blood loss. If you see somebody on a forum from Michigan that goes by "One eye" that's him. ;)

I think ive seen that dude on archerytalk
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:00 pm

jlh42581 wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:

I think ive seen that dude on archerytalk

That's him.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Dan, do you walk into your set from the shooting lane? Wouldn't the buck bust you or do you come in a back way? or do they not get enough scent until the arrow is on its way?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:07 am

rochester coops wrote:Dan, do you walk into your set from the shooting lane? Wouldn't the buck bust you or do you come in a back way? or do they not get enough scent until the arrow is on its way?

I think using a different trail altogether is the best way to keep that spot fresh... But in some cases you have to access on the deers trail, in that case I would get off of the trail well before the shooting opening and circle to the shooting position. You can tie orange ribbon on the cattail tops to mark where you get off at.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:22 am

Used to hunt horicon marsh,would carry a bucket with me as this was my stand.figured out right away that the bucks were in the catails.In ten years of hunting only saw one guy out there, was a long way from any trees.i would set up along the edge of the catails man the deer didnot have clue that u were there.to old 2 hunt out there now, anyone looking 4 challenge i can point u to a good spot but its a long walk.Ralph.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 am

walleyeralph wrote:Used to hunt horicon marsh,would carry a bucket with me as this was my stand.figured out right away that the bucks were in the catails.In ten years of hunting only saw one guy out there, was a long way from any trees.i would set up along the edge of the catails man the deer didnot have clue that u were there.to old 2 hunt out there now, anyone looking 4 challenge i can point u to a good spot but its a long walk.Ralph.

SILENCE Ralph !! LOL. You turned me on to a spot a few years ago out there! I do not want company! LOL
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Sounds like an exciting tactic, wish there was some big cattail areas like that around here. Something maybe obvious, but Ill mention it, the shooting lane doesnt need to be 4-6ft wide "all the way to you". You also dont want to cut it all the way to the dirt. Even in the woods when I cut a ground blind shooting lane, I dont make em very wide, but you can taper them if you want wider lanes (V shape). Also as Dan mentioned, dont be afraid to get off the trail. On the ground I like to set up 20yds away min, unless everything is just right.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 pm

The above tactic is not just reserved for cattails either... Any thick ground cover where a treestand is not an option, this is a good tactic. Dogwood or tammerack swamps for instance...
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:12 am

Pullintoobs,that spot will be off limits.lol. Ralph.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm

walleyeralph wrote:Pullintoobs,that spot will be off limits.lol. Ralph.

Thanks pal....LOL
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

dan wrote:Here is a tip for those treeless areas... Take a look at this marsh picture. I marked actual buck beds in red. If you look close you can see the actual deer trails in the cattails. In this case, a mature buck might not move far enough to reach the woodlot from the bedding islands...

Now take a look at this actual set up...

Red= deer bed

Green= hunter sitting on stool on piece of plywood.

black= deer trail enhanced to be more visible

Blue= shooting lane cut into cattails on an angle so the deer is past you quartering away for the shot. Notice that there are two windows or lanes, the big one is for shooting, the small one is to get a glimpse of the deer to decide if he is a shooter so you can pull back before he gets to the shooting window. The spy window only needs to be big enough to see the deers head, any bigger and he will use it to spot you. Only cut what you need to, to much will spook them. Cut these spots in July. If you cut the spy window or the shooting window broadside, the buck will see you as soon as he comes to the opening and spook. It helps to leave some cattails around you for cover and have as sharp of a quartering angle as your confidant making.

We got an old timer over here, routinely takes the largest bucks off the property. Only hunts the tall grass, using a 5 gallon pail to sit on. He's not comfortable in a tree and hunts the bucks in the tall grass that no one bothers with. Sets up similarly.
onebuck

Unread postby onebuck » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:22 am

This is great info, I just found a spot this morning that this tactic would work perfectly in. There is literally one or two trees that I can hang a stand in (and trust me, I don't need much of a tree!) but I could do a similar setup on the ground. Here around Green Bay we have giant reed grass aka phragmities..this stuff is nasty, noisy head high stuff that the deer absolutely love. This type of set would work great in that stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”