How do you hunt this type of terrain

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

How do you hunt this type of terrain

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm

I have been somewhat confused on here from time to time, mostly because so much of the public land near me does not fit into any one definite category of land type. This land has some marsh spots, some forested spots, some hill country, and isn't too far(distance wise) from agriculture land, but a lot of it is like this:

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g45 ... 0_0004.mp4

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g45 ... 0_0008.mp4

These were two different properties, but they both have open area's with scattered tree's. How does one go about starting on something like this? i imagine even though it isn't marsh land, it would be hunted similarly, but I do not know for sure. I am leaning towards starting on the transition lines, but the problem is the bucks could be bedded under these tree's ( I am guessing) and can see a LONG ways, and some of the cover is a hundred yards or more away from them, so they may not make it in daylight. Then again on the other hand they might move a little faster due to it being so open and not want to expose themselves. I can also see where they may just wait until dark before they even get up. The first video has a creek running down the middle of it, so that could influence things as well. I have hunted the first property and it holds some very nice bucks, and I have seen a lot of them on numerous encounters on another section of the property, but that has changed and the deer move different now (Ag field dried up and is now CRP).

Thoughts?

BigHunt

Re: How do you hunt this type of terrain

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:45 pm

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/Bradl66/?action=view&current=100_0004.mp4[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/Bradl66/?action=view&current=100_0008.mp4[/bbvideo]
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:47 pm

looks like hill country to me....

got anytopos if this land on video???
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I wouldn't waste my time with the 1st spot... The bucks are likely bedding on the surrounding ridge points and even if one did bed in the grass down low, how would you hunt it? I think you would be wasting your time in there. probably some young deer and does bedding in there, but most likely the big ones are up high.
The second property makes me want to say the same thing except it looks like there might be some thick low stuff farther than I can see? Is there a river bottom?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:25 pm

If that is a public "CRP" field guys will be running there dogs in there, as well as pheasant hunting in there once that season opens in the middle of October. The public by me gets lots of dog activity starting in August..........so no deer bed in the CRP areas, they all get pushed out very quickly.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:33 pm

dan wrote:I wouldn't waste my time with the 1st spot... The bucks are likely bedding on the surrounding ridge points and even if one did bed in the grass down low, how would you hunt it? I think you would be wasting your time in there. probably some young deer and does bedding in there, but most likely the big ones are up high.
The second property makes me want to say the same thing except it looks like there might be some thick low stuff farther than I can see? Is there a river bottom?

i agree with dan ,there most likely bedding high to take advantage of the day time thermals...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:46 pm

The first video property is basically a bowl, it has hills on both sides and the middle is the creek and weed bottom. There are some standing corn fields (whats left of them, they wont have ears), and there is a bean field within a few hundred yards of the far right of the property. The second video is river bottom (even though it is basically all sand its still river bottom). Would it help If I post Aerial maps to go along with these video's? I am glad the video's worked, this was my first attempt at ever uploading a video, so I guess it can be done!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Whatever type / types of terrain you hunt there is one thing in common. Big bucks look for an advantage when bedding. Look for their advantage.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 am

magicman54494 wrote:Whatever type / types of terrain you hunt there is one thing in common. Big bucks look for an advantage when bedding. Look for their advantage.

[glow=red]Big bucks look for an advantage when bedding. Look for their advantage[/glow]
What a great statement and way to summarize trying to pinpoint bedding. Thanks Magic

This line should become a topic, it definitely deserves more views. I know what I will do with this one.

Oh, and Magic, the glow red part would make a great signature for you.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”