Glassing public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

Glassing public

Unread postby mike_mc » Fri May 14, 2010 6:32 am

Do you put much effort into glassing public land during the summer? Seems like it would be difficult.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Glassing public

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 am

I don't do it as often as I should, but always come away from it with a positive experience that leaves me wondering why I don't do it more often. I like to get out of the truck (when the bugs aren't so bad they'll carry you away) and take a hike down an old overgrown logging road, or a powerline, or perhaps the edge of a river or lake. A few years back I took a hike down a powerline that crossed a big woods in an area that was new to me. I almost got ran over by a bachelor group of five bucks, and one was an absolute beast- two of the others were big enough to target. My personal style, I'd rather do this than ride around in my truck to glass. Don't get me wrong, I like to glass from my vehicle too, but I really enjoy the hike/stop/glass routine.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2010 9:59 am

Its really dependent on the type of public... Its pretty hard to glass dense swamp, but public that has feeding and bedding areas in open enough areas I do glass...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 am

When I hunt in really heavy public cover, where for the most part you can't see more than twenty yards, I take along a 10X monocular. It weighs nothing and goes in the pocket, and really beats dragging binoculars and their weight out there. Plus if I see something in the super dense cover that looks like it might be a buck rub, for example, I look at it with the monocular instead of busting the brush to get there.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 am

I Did a lot of glassing on public last summer... Saw some grat bucks.... Most of the time it was over 200 yards away or it was too dark to film.

Here is some film of a buck i spotted... this buck was over 200 yards away. By seeing him in this spot, it put together a big piece of the puzzle, i have shinned him at night, got trail cam pictures, and picked up his sheds two years in a row. This all took place on public, except for the sheds. This past spring i found his bed. Its in one of those places that you would cr@p yourself if you seen it. Its so obvious yet NOt. He should be a beast this year!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 17, 2010 1:46 am

Sweet...

Here is an image I took out of video from remote summer glassing the year I shot the 11 pointer...
Here is the dead buck shot where I glassed him...

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon May 17, 2010 1:47 am

mike_mc wrote:Seems like it would be difficult.

Also, Thermacel was a MUST for me!!!

Awesome Buck Dan!!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon May 17, 2010 2:56 pm

I started really glassing,shining last year,then MN DNR changed the hours to only 2 hours after sunset.
So that kinda sucks .I glass a lot of public.Private glassing/shining really gets the landowners all worked up where i hunt.
I was just reading over the rule book and looks as if you can't legally shine State owned Public lands,WMA WPA or other.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:22 am

I have only recently started glassing a huge grassy public land area. I am learning that there are some whopper bucks that live in wide-open spaces on public ground - the type of stuff that looks like pheasant cover. I am not doing it to pattern a buck per-se, just to try to see what is there and then monitor the bucks. I look for nearby places where he may relocate to scrounge for acorns, seek cover when bird hunting starts and to find does. Then try to knit the quilt together to prepare for the season ahead. Besides, it does get you excited by seeing their big fuzzy racks in July & August. Better than sitting home with a can of beer.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”