public vs private

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

public vs private

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 am

I enjoy reading the topics in this forum.
Mostly because I have always seen public land as more of a challenge than private.

However, not sure how hunting land is in your area, but in my corner of TN, private lands are getting more and more hard to locate.

Farms are being leased fast. Working class people like myself really cannot compete with the big checkbook guys. So I have been going back to my roots over the last few years and hunting public land. :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Re: public vs private

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 am

I am doing the same this season here in WI. I lost my private near my home due to a family dispute. My private 4 hours from home I decided my heart just wasn't into that kind of "managed" hunting anymore after 8 years. I haven't hunted the rut on public since 2003 and I absolutely cannot wait til this season!! I am so excited to be sitting all day without a sole around anywhere near me. No tractors or barking dogs, except coyotes :lol:. Nobody telling me what to shoot or sitting 100 yards away in "their area" :roll: I couldn't stop thinking about this at work last nite!! I'm just almost giddy about this!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:37 am

I can understand being giddy. I have been like that for three weeks now! Ive not been so jacked up over an upcoming season in years. Last year was the first year I was able to actually put some of my theories to test, and seen positive results. Doing it on public, and basically using other hunters pressure return to my advantage.
Good luck this fall, hope you drag a beast out....wait, hope he is so big you cant drag him out, and need a few buddies help! :)

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 am

I hhunt both. I have a very nice farm that I have access to that I have done well on except it won't be around much longer. I like to hunt some public, some private. I refuse to lease, I am not against private land, but I am not going to pay to hunt anywhere if I have other options. I am trying to get better on public land because in a few years I may be 100 percent public and I want to already have a jump on my techniques so I can hit the ground running.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:12 am

We lease some good ground in Bc and love it. At home thousands of acres of public.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:21 am

Where Im at the private gets pounded just as much as the public. The difference, the public is nastier/wetter/thicker then the private I have access to. My theory is that should allow a couple of bucks to get past 1.5yrs old, so Im pretty excited to give the public land a try. As far as private and leasing, I dont do it. I would rather spend the money on food/gas/lodging/non resident tag/ and head out of state for a week, then to pay a lease here in Mi. My friends ask whats the difference, money is money. I respect the landowner and his desire to make some extra income, but leasing is forcing many out of hunting and thats unfortunate. As a kid my dad took me to private land and he knocked on doors and got permission with a handshake. I do the same now, and yes, there are landowners who will still let you hunt for free.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Appreciate the point of views. The thing that really hurts me in my area, the public ground we have is Cherokee National Forest....thousands and thousands of very steep hilly country with extremely low deer density.
SO, my public hunting ground is 5-6 hours away.

As the last poster mentioned, I hate people laying down so much cash that its putting many out of hunting. As they may not have the resources to drive out of town with the cost of fuel, lodging, food, out o f state license, etc

Dont get me wrong I can understand the land owners supplimenting their incomes or helping with land taxes, just dont like seeing executive types around here dropping 20 an acre and asking for other properties they can tie up. Guess its just one of those things. I roll on and do what I can to find myself perched with a chance come 4th Saturday in Sept each year :)
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Where Im at the private gets pounded just as much as the public. The difference, the public is nastier/wetter/thicker then the private I have access to. My theory is that should allow a couple of bucks to get past 1.5yrs old, so Im pretty excited to give the public land a try. As far as private and leasing, I dont do it. I would rather spend the money on food/gas/lodging/non resident tag/ and head out of state for a week, then to pay a lease here in Mi. My friends ask whats the difference, money is money. I respect the landowner and his desire to make some extra income, but leasing is forcing many out of hunting and thats unfortunate. As a kid my dad took me to private land and he knocked on doors and got permission with a handshake. I do the same now, and yes, there are landowners who will still let you hunt for free.

I agree, leasing and the desire for growing monster bucks and "locking" them up is destroying the sport. I love big bucks as much as anyone but it has gotten to the point where lack of areas to hunt are causing more and more people to stop hunting each year than any other thing. I think this big buck craze is getting out of hand, everyone thinks you have to have 2000 acres to yourself to kill big deer, and while that may be partially true it sure doesn't help the rest of the sportsmen out. I remember when I started hunting it was hard enough to gain access to private land although it was possible. Now if the area has a good deer population at all it is going to cost thousands a year to hunt. I am glad that farmers can get some extra income, but pretty soon there wont be enough land to go around and hunting will turn into a rich mans sport.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:59 pm

I like both but true braggin rights come from a public land kill.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Give me miles of public land......... and 3" of new snow! :D
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 pm

magicman54494 wrote:Give me miles of public land......... and 3" of new snow! :D

I am gonna try that during the late season if I still have a tag, I feel I need to learn more about it and it will get me out when I otherwise wouldn't go because of the temps.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:35 pm

magicman54494 wrote:Give me miles of public land......... and 3" of new snow! :D

Magic, you need to get yourself a gopro cam or something similar and wear it mounted to your hat. Would be super cool to see things somewhat like you do when your hot on the hoof of a big buck. burn it to a dvd and offer it up for a few $$$
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Magic, you need to get yourself a gopro cam or something similar and wear it mounted to your hat. Would be super cool to see things somewhat like you do when your hot on the hoof of a big buck. burn it to a dvd and offer it up for a few $$$

I've played around with a cam. a bit but it's tougher than it sounds. I have a mount built on my scope but with the snow and cold it can't stay on there. I decided that it was more important to enjoy the hunt instead of worrying about getting footage. Maybe someday I will get some good footage. I did get some cool footage of a buck that I tracked up on and decided not to shoot. Dan has asked me to have input for a future DVD so if things work out maybe I'll end up on a DVD someday.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Think I've posted a couple of these before....but you pickup something new each time. Good stuff.

http://vimeo.com/38242829

http://vimeo.com/35210547

http://vimeo.com/34917809
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Well I hunt both private and public lands. Well I would like to think that I hunt on private but the thing that gets to me is that I can only get on the lands that the land owner lets other people as well. Like other bowhunters and gun hunters and muzzeloaders as well so I decided to hunt public as well to increase my hunting spots. So for me I think a guy can shoot a big buck on public he may have to work alittle bit harder for it. Up here in Minnesota in some areas we have large tracts of public land and some that range from a 1000 to 3000 arcres so I thing that there is nothing wrong with public at all. Evan thou leasing is kind of nice and that you can control the access a bit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”