Minnesota DNR stole my trail camera !

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Minnesota DNR stole my trail camera !

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 am

Walked out to check one of my trailcams today. It's a 3/4 mile hike from any road. Got to with-in 50 feet of camera ( where it use to be ) and saw a yellow blob of dead leaves. Thought that was kinda weird. I get closer and realized the yellow blob was a dead tree. The tree my trailcam was mounted in. They just cut the whole da** tree down to get my camera. So I just stood there in SHOCK ! Hoping that I was at the wrong tree , this can't be happening i thought.
Then I see the tire tracks .( 5 ' track width) . Whatever it was must have had a hefty front bumper. Cause this thing drove right over 3" and 4 " trees.I followed the tracks and they led me out to a property line where the state land meets private. And I see something that was'nt there before. The DNR put up new signs marking the area as a public WMA area. For years I always wondered why there was'nt sign posts at that corner. I followed the tracks back the other way to another sign post that had laid over years ago. And sure enough another new sign had been placed there as well.
So there you go everybody. It ain't just your neighbors and theives you gotta worry about. The Minnesota DNR will rip you off as well. I,m pretty sure I have about a 1% chance of ever getting my trail camera back. But I sure as heck , am gonna raise some holy at the DNR headquarters . So if anyone reads about a guy getting arrested for causing a disturbance at the Minnesota DNR his name will surely be one you might know.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Minnesota DNR stole my trail camera !

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 am

let us know what happens.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 am

It seems like they would have left some kind of an official tag or note behind. Maybe someone else followed the trail and spotted the camera?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 am

I dont know the rules of your state, but if you were doing nothing wrong, Id take pics of the tree "they cut", the tree's they drove over, the new signs they posted, and follow up with not only the local department, but the state headquarters. Its likely they did a few things wrong that higher ups might like to be made aware of.
That being said, if your 3/4 mile off the road and somebody can just drive up to your spot with a sport utility vehicle, doesnt sound very remote to me. You obviously see some big deer or you wouldnt have a camera back there. Im jealous. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It seems like they would have left some kind of an official tag or note behind. Maybe someone else followed the trail and spotted the camera?

Yes, if the camera was placed on a shelf back at the DNR office. But not if the guy brought it home for his personnel use.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:05 am

How was it attached? In my state no metal attachments. If it were one of those lock boxes and spiked to the tree you might not have a chance, possibly a fine also...

Hopefully they see it your way though!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 am

It waz attached with nylon strap. NO tree damage. And then it was secured with a python cable lock.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Yikes! :? . I'm glad I live in Wisconsin..
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Good luck getting it back, and hopefully they didn't ruin your spot.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Dang that sucks I was planning on putting out one of my cameras on a piece on Minnesots public land. Now I don't know if I want to now. I hope you get your camera back.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:44 am

Any updates? Did you contact the police or DNR ?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:19 am

Keep us posted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 am

To bad you didn't have another camera up they didn't see and caught them red handed. I would like to see justice done to who ever ripped you off and trashed a bunch of tree's doing it. Good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”