Big Woods Rut

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Big Woods Rut

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 pm

I see there is a thread going in the deer hunting section on how we as hunters define what a big woods is- a great topic. I am also very interested in hearing about and learning from successful tactics during the rut in big woods areas. Were terrain features, type of habitat or location of buck and or doe bedding areas a factor in your big woods / rut success? What else made an impact?

Time frame wise I guess I will go with the last week of October through November to give us a starting point... but whatever works for you. I would also be most interested in big woods areas that do not have the influence of agriculture, which profoundly impacts the bedding and travel of deer (I know, I don't ask for much! :D )

I think its been a little while since we've discussed this much on the Beast, and with new members maybe we can get additional input.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Big Woods Rut

Unread postby dan » Sun May 06, 2012 3:29 am

For me its important to 1st determine bedding areas and then get between major bedding areas along transitions in elevation or vegetation. For the biggest / oldest bucks, I hunt right at the best bedding locations.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 am

I was just thinking about almost every good rut stand I have in big woods, non-agriculture influenced spots. They are all very near thick cover. They are all on the edge of 2 types of "cover" coming together. They are all influenced by a topographical change, some a major saddle,some just a slight (hump) type change. They are all in close proximity to water ( within 100 yards or so) Lastly, they are as Dan stated, very near buck bedding. Over the years, I never really realized how each of these areas was within 100 yards or so of where a buck was often bedding. My spring scouting has shown these obvious buck beds on fingers and hill sideslopes. I never really "looked"for the beds until last year and this spring after reading Dan's tactics. Here I was actually hunting "prime" spots related to bedding all along. I think finding the actual bed is tougher in big woods, but found a couple after actually looking this spring. This verified my correct stand placement but more importantly decided stand entrance routes and great care needed in approach.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun May 06, 2012 4:20 am

I should have added that now,knowing where the bucks are bedding WILL influence my approaches this fall. I see a success ratio going up, this fall will be interesting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am

blackwolf wrote:I should have added that now,knowing where the bucks are bedding WILL influence my approaches this fall. I see a success ratio going up, this fall will be interesting.

Scouting other peoples land for them, it always amazes me how a buck is set up to hunt you, and basically is watching hunters approach. In a lot of cases, if you don't know where the bedding is, its over before you even start.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 am

Dan, that is exactly what I found in Minnesota this spring. My approach to a stand was walking right below where a buck bedded. Now,I know how to get in the same stand via a better route. The plan is coming together better.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 07, 2012 5:30 am

One of my favorite places to hunt the big woods during the rut is the downwind edge of a doe bedding area, especially if I can put a barrier at my back. Bucks can show up anytime, and the bonus of having a barrier downwind keeps the sneaky bucks from picking me off. They REALLY want to know what's up with the does, and will get in there if they have decent cover- barrier at my back or not.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon May 07, 2012 8:11 am

I look for large, diverse swamps. The ones with lots of twists and turns where swamp meets mainland, and with multiple islands within the body of the swamp. Then I look for a doe bedding area on the very edge of that swamp. I set up on the mainland just adjacent to the doe bedding with the wind blowing away from the thick swamp towards the open woods. These spots typically have consistent wind flow because the wind is travelling over the flat swamp before it gets to me. These spots are usually not obvious from topo maps (to the average hunter) so usually I have the place to myself. It's the best way I have so far to to be "in the game" on 3 1/2 yr old bucks. This is NW Wisconsin rut.
Obviously, the reason this set up works for me is because of all the bedding options the swamp provides for all deer.
Occasionally a real brute will follow a doe out of the bedding area, but it seems to be mostly the cruizers I see.

I have noticed when placing trail cameras in various locations in these big woods that I will consistently get some pictures (night) of true pigs when I set them in areas like this with lots of bedding potential. So they are in there.

I have been scouting for the actual beds of the mature bucks up there for only a couple springs now, and have identified some (not many). I will be working that information into my rut hunt plans as I can. It is harder locating these big woods beds, plus it is 400 miles from home so time is limited.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 am

I agree Bridge. I'm hunting the big woods rut this season for the first time since since 2003!! I have a very remote oak ridge I hunt that if it has acorns, is money during the rut! I need East in the wind though! There is a cedar swamp that is great doe bedding. I hunt right on the edge of it. I have seen numerous bucks gun and bow sniffing the downwind edge over the years. Killed 2 nice bucks, and messed up on too many!! The does will be gourging themselves on acorns with the bucks close behind. There is also a big rock outcropping that seperates the ridge from the swamp. The deer funnel around both sides of the rock to get between feed and bed. During the rut these rocks really funnel the bucks!! We have a lot of these rocks in our area. Also the bucks love to parallel the ridge scent checking every doe trail. I cannot wait to sit in there all day during the rut! I now have from Oct. 28th to Nov.11th to rut hunt the big woods! I hope to wrap my tag around a big old Slob!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:One of my favorite places to hunt the big woods during the rut is the downwind edge of a doe bedding area, especially if I can put a barrier at my back. Bucks can show up anytime, and the bonus of having a barrier downwind keeps the sneaky bucks from picking me off. They REALLY want to know what's up with the does, and will get in there if they have decent cover- barrier at my back or not.

This is what I do to, I kind of forget the edges and just jump inside the biggest thickest bedding area I can find. When the time is right the bucks will be sniffing around. I have also has success hunting funnels near rivers or lakes. At the time I shot the bucks near those funnels I didn't realize there was also buck bedding near by. Now my eyes are wide open and I have a much better understanding of the area.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon May 07, 2012 11:53 pm

I used to study topos/aerials looking for the classic bottle necks. The vast land area pinched down to a crossing leading to another vast land area. These areas were picked solely on their funnelling terrain with no regard to deer bedding. Well, that strategy is VERY hit or miss in the big woods. It worked well in the magazines!
I put in alot of hours doing this. Finally, after a few years of trail camera monitering these "can't miss deer funnels" it became apparant that my chances of arrowing a 3 1/2yr old+ buck was not very likely.

Since then, I have started selecting spots based on lots of bedding potential nearby, and then locate a terrain pinch within that area (often not an obvious funnel as seen on a map). This system works much better for me in the big woods.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue May 08, 2012 1:19 am

KLEMZ wrote:I used to study topos/aerials looking for the classic bottle necks. The vast land area pinched down to a crossing leading to another vast land area. These areas were picked solely on their funnelling terrain with no regard to deer bedding. Well, that strategy is VERY hit or miss in the big woods. It worked well in the magazines!
I put in alot of hours doing this. Finally, after a few years of trail camera monitering these "can't miss deer funnels" it became apparant that my chances of arrowing a 3 1/2yr old+ buck was not very likely.

Since then, I have started selecting spots based on lots of bedding potential nearby, and then locate a terrain pinch within that area (often not an obvious funnel as seen on a map). This system works much better for me in the big woods.

Very good point Klemz, all my funnels are very hit or miss, even the ones near bedding. The thing about sitting a bigwoods funnel is a lot of stuff has to go right for you to connect or even to see a deer, there just aren't any slam dunk bigwoods funnels. During the rut a buck could be anywhere so the odds on any given day are very low.

I try and keep tabs on some of my funnels and over the years the results have been fairly similar. When we have snow you can really get an accurate picture, basically there might only be 1 or 2 bucks traveling the funnel per the entire rut during shoot hours. If you don't time it right you don't see anything so there is some luck and randomness built into hunting a bigwoods funnel. Some years all of the travel is at night, some years I show up and see tracks in the area and wonder if I missed my shot. If the deer numbers are up your odds certainly go up with it but we haven't had a solid population in my area for a while now.

I try to maximize my chances by only hunting those funnels in the morning and mid-day and hunting only during the best 5-6 days of the year to catch a buck in my area. The rest of the time I focus on buck bedding and doe bedding.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 am

Hodag and I discussed this last season. It seems that lower deer densities in the northwoods/bigwoods contribute to a longer rut. It obviously gets really hot during early november like the rut does every where but time on stand and trail camera pictures indicate the deer are in "rut" from late october almost right up until horn drop. Just a thought anyways. Hodag mentioned it me, and it made a lot of sense, then I back tracked in my mind and thought about it and the pieces sort of came together.

I hunt pinches of thick cover. My best spot is a piece of mature timber that was clear cut in the shape of an hour glass, sort of. Not only is there a pinch point, but the pieces that were cut out, are also small bowls or depressions. So its a terrain and cover change. I see my biggest bucks from various stand locations in this spot each year. Rut or not, this is one of my best spots for overall deer activity. I hunt a lot of major travel corridors in the northwoods during the rut. Areas where I consistently see any deer moving throughout the season, will definitely be getting attention from the bucks during the rut.

I also find weather to have a big influence on deer movement in the northwoods. Rut or not, the best days I have hunted are always clear sunny days temps in the 50s or high 40s, and a slight southerly breeze. Deer will be on their feet mid day, and if its the rut, I've even seen mature deer on the move.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 pm

This is a great thread. I am very warry/ reluctuant to hunt big woods. Its so different then the places I usually hunt so its very intimidating for me and tough for me to want to hike for 2 miles back and just hope deer are in that area that day. I think bedding in big woods is not at all consistant like it is in small parcel-high pressure areas. Deer have an abdorbanant amount of "safe" bedding and may not return to the same bedding areas all the time. Just too much chance involved, i scout big woods every year and never wind up going to any of them.

I am really going to try to get out in the backwoods this year and enjoy it!

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 pm

GRFox wrote:This is a great thread. I am very warry/ reluctuant to hunt big woods. Its so different then the places I usually hunt so its very intimidating for me and tough for me to want to hike for 2 miles back and just hope deer are in that area that day. I think bedding in big woods is not at all consistant like it is in small parcel-high pressure areas. Deer have an abdorbanant amount of "safe" bedding and may not return to the same bedding areas all the time. Just too much chance involved, i scout big woods every year and never wind up going to any of them.

I am really going to try to get out in the backwoods this year and enjoy it!

There is nothing easy about hunting the big woods- one of the most challenging environments for a deer hunter to be successful in. The work it takes makes the feeling of success "off the charts."

There are some great tactics discussed here, I recommend jumping in to the big woods game- it sounds like you are considering it. When reviewing these tactics for possible stand locations and looking at topo's and aerial's, as well as accessing your memory from previous scouting and such... factor in how hunting pressure will impact your stand site(s) and give it a go... you won't regret it. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”