Big Woods Rut

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Re: Big Woods Rut

Unread postby GRFox » Sat May 12, 2012 12:27 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
GRFox wrote:This is a great thread. I am very warry/ reluctuant to hunt big woods. Its so different then the places I usually hunt so its very intimidating for me and tough for me to want to hike for 2 miles back and just hope deer are in that area that day. I think bedding in big woods is not at all consistant like it is in small parcel-high pressure areas. Deer have an abdorbanant amount of "safe" bedding and may not return to the same bedding areas all the time. Just too much chance involved, i scout big woods every year and never wind up going to any of them.

I am really going to try to get out in the backwoods this year and enjoy it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

There is nothing easy about hunting the big woods- one of the most challenging environments for a deer hunter to be successful in. The work it takes makes the feeling of success "off the charts."

There are some great tactics discussed here, I recommend jumping in to the big woods game- it sounds like you are considering it. When reviewing these tactics for possible stand locations and looking at topo's and aerial's, as well as accessing your memory from previous scouting and such... factor in how hunting pressure will impact your stand site(s) and give it a go... you won't regret it. 8-)

Thanks SB. I have a few spots scouted for this year. I also plan on just throwing the stand and sticks on my back and going in blind based on topo and ariel scouting.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Big Woods Rut

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 23, 2012 4:03 am

GRFox: Thanks SB. I have a few spots scouted for this year. I also plan on just throwing the stand and sticks on my back and going in blind based on topo and ariel scouting.

That can definitely work- and I have pulled it off successfully, so I know it can be done. I would ask myself a lot of questions before going in...

What makes me think a target buck is in there right now... how am I going to make a successful approach and get on stand... what makes me think the buck will pass by my stand within archery range... etc.

Pulling off a "blind" hunt will really get you fired up... the first time I tried hunting with "Beast, aka Dan" tactics I took a decent buck for the area on my first hunt. The kicker was that it was heavily pressured public land.

I have also had some luck in the rut throwing the stand and sticks on my back, after studying topo's and aerials, and hunting blind.

Scouting ahead of time is where its at, but when in a new area or hunting without as much scouting as you'd like... make your play. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”