had to leave 'em?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

had to leave 'em?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:45 am

Ever had to leave a public land buck you successfully killed in the woods overnight? Did you hang him up or do something else to prevent other critters from having free access to the buck?

What was the reason you had to leave him behind- weather? no help from others until morning? the overall distance of having to get him out? fear of getting lost in the dark in an unfamiliar area? some other reason?

I have had to do this more than once, and am interested in learning from others about the experience and steps they took, along with the cause of the situation in the first place...

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: had to leave 'em?

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 pm

There have been many times I felt it best not to track a deer till the next morning. Usually leads to a sleepless night. I have lost a few to coyotes. As far as finding the deer and not taking it out till morning? No. But most of the time the deer is left there for several hours while I go back for help and/or equipment ( boat/ sled /cart )
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:07 pm

If its recovered but has to be left, I stick a dollar bill in its mouth.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Zap wrote:If its recovered but has to be left, I stick a dollar bill in its mouth.

OK I'll bite..... why?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 pm

One thing to remember, you must tag the buck immediately upon harvest. At least thats the law here in Wisconsin. So if you approach the buck, or if you know its dead, your required to legally tag it immediately. And they will bust you for it.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Wish I could answer this but I only shot a Doe I had to leave in the woods.

Guess I can't relate...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Wish I could answer this but I only shot a Doe I had to leave in the woods.

Guess I can't relate...

didn't mean to exclude you Ed... should have said left a "deer" in the woods... I for one would be interested in hearing about your experience.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 pm

I've thrown my coat on a dead deer to keep the yotes off it until I got back. Wasn't overnight, though.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:25 pm

I had to leave a couple "back in" overnight. It would have been too hard to in the dark so we hung up in a tree and came back in AM. I always took off my undershirt and tied around a leg to leave plenty of my scent. In a high wolf area,I even attached my shorts to a leg. The critters left both alone !!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Left one in 2010, arrow through the guts . Buck bedded down but was still alive at dark and it was raining. Best option was to leave him until morning. Yotes got him that night.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:28 pm

My brother shot a 8 pointer at noon on opening day of gun season 2007. He tracked it a long ways on no snow and had to shoot it several more times before finally killing it in the middle of the most god awful, remote, creek bottom conifer swamp you ever seen!! Two miles from the nearest drivable road!! Gps the spot at dark. I shot my gun so he knew how to get back to our area. Luckily we both had cell phones and radios so we kept in contact the whole time. That's when texting for us first started too. We did not hang that deer at the cabin until 2pm the next day!!! Crazy!! I have no idea how he even got a bullet in the buck in the first place!! Then to track him that far on no snow!! He's a great hunter!! I taught him well! LOL!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 am

PLB, I have had a similar experience- imagine my buddy and I, a couple a hunters in our twenties that would let nothing stop us...

We had prescouted a couple of remote islands (okay, it was me) deep in the confines of michigan's Upper Peninsula swamp country with no roads for quite a few miles... I had a monster bedded on these isles, typically on a small shelf just over the downwind crest of a ridge surrounded by swamp... Long story short the Beast picked me off approaching the bedding area just past 8 a.m. on the gun opener- winded me.

Dejected I stuck it out... at a quarter after one in the afternoon a big woods nine nearly ran me over- literally. Hunting in treestands was illegal at the time, and I was sitting on the ground. I couldn't see him or tell exactly where he was in the super dense cover until he popped out fifteen yards to my left. Both of our eyes bugged out as he exploded away with me chasing after him. He ran less than a hundred yards before stopping to glance back and try to figure out what had just happened... The only thing visible to me was his head and the top of his neck... I shot him offhand in the neck with my 7 Mag and Dropped Him Like A Freight Train On A Volkswagen!

It had taken me 3 1/2 hours to reach this stand with hip boots on... the reality of the drag began sinking in. I made it over to my buddies island and we returned to start the drag... Around 11p.m., bleeding from head and arms and still trying to penetrate the godawful cover out to the distant woods road... we made the decision to leave and come back in the daytime. I ordered my buddy to take his hat and gloves and rub them under his armpits and place them on the buck... I did the same. We were back at first light the next morning and headed into the swamp... The bears and coyotes had eliminated all of the gutpile, including the stomach and all of its contents- which I had never seen before overnight (the stomach had always been left behind)... just a circle of dirt left on the ground, wow!... anyway, after dragging non-stop we stepped out onto the deep woods two-track road at 1:30 p.m. with the buck. My buddy was built like a brick... you get the idea of how bad this drag was, I hope to never have to repeat it but will if I have to. I never returned to that area as my interests took me elsewhere...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am

Great story SB! I love reading your big woods adventures!! I guess it's just the purist in me but why would anyone want to hunt anywhere else??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 am

Southern Man wrote:
Zap wrote:If its recovered but has to be left, I stick a dollar bill in its mouth.

OK I'll bite..... why?

I'll take a stab at this. It's so if someone steals it, you can ask the warden to open his mouth and pull out the dollar bill. Proof that you had indeed killed it.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 am

Maybe marty is Ted Dibiase in reality

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”