100 percent public now!!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Dewey

Re: 100 percent public now!!

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:
Dewey wrote:Nothing is more satisfying than a northwoods public land buck. Wishing you lots of luck!

I don't do much northwoods hunting anymore but my goal is to change that in the future. Too much good public around home but I sure do miss the solitude of the big woods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I have some public marsh spots I will hunt close to home too!! ;)

Cool! Good to have a variety of hunting options.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Good luck PLB! I respect anyone that can get it done on bucks up in the northwoods. I find that terrain the most stressful and hardest to hunt myself. If it's what you love, I'm sure you'll do great! Puttem down buddy!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:35 am

Good luck PLB, way to take on the challenge. 100% public 100% bigwoods here, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:24 am

Ive never had an exclusive piece of land to hunt. Ive never had a lease. The prices are just too over the top for this guy. Id rather spend that money on tangible things. You could say my entire 18 seasons is public, I wouldnt even know how to act if I had places completely to myself. I know one thing, id kill a pile of deer.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:13 am

Sort of a hunters coming out party :D
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:36 am

headgear wrote:Good luck PLB, way to take on the challenge. 100% public 100% bigwoods here, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That's my plan also!! I hunted from 1987 until 2004 strictly on northwoods public. Since then I have had great success in other areas but it's not the same as shooting a northwoods public land buck!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:38 am

Good luck, I feel the same this year no ties, freedom to hunt how I want when I want, going to even try traditional archey on my public land hunts, doing it in 4 days for turkeys.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:36 am

Well I agee with you guys last year I had my first so called lease and we paid 500 dollars for this spot and I'll say that It was nice having a spot to yourself and a friend of mine hunted It but
we only got does and we were after a Big 9 pt but he only showed up at night way past shooting
light. So I'm not sure what we are going to do this fall but there is nothing wrong with hunting public land my biggest bowkill came of public land and I've seen some bruisers on public I wish I
could get alittle bit closer to these bruisers. We also found a big piece of public hunting ground on
the way home that his roughly 3400 acres of woods and march land next to some crops and I'm
thinking about hunting that a couple of times next fall.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:54 am

Hunting is about having fun. Not a competition to shoot the biggest buck. Follow your heart and you will always be happy.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:59 am

dan wrote:Hunting is about having fun. Not a competition to shoot the biggest buck. Follow your heart and you will always be happy.

Thanks Dan!!! I agree!!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 am

PLB, Good luck! Hope your northwoods spot has less "wolf damage" than mine. Makes it a lot tougher hunt but I still love it. Hunted Chequamegon Nat Forest since 1976.
FrankB

Unread postby FrankB » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 pm

I've hunted public land my whole life. I've spent very little time on private even though I have access. I much prefer the big woods public land, we don't get deer every year due to low numbers mostly but we always have a great time in the woods. I introduced my kids to hunting on the private land so that they would see deer when we were out but last year my 13 year old son hunted the big woods with me and he loved it as well. He didn't want to go back to the AG land even though we didn't see many deer. I think he's hooked as well.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:48 am

Sometimes as public land hunters I feel we have an advantage, the hunting may not be as good but if you are will to work hard and scout hard you can have a crazy amount of land to yourself. One such area i hunt I know I am the only hunter in a 2 or 3 square mile area. Other large chuncks of land have a lot of hunting pressure but if you can find the locations with no pressure you find the bucks. If I totall up all my spots I might be hunting 20-25K acres of land. I don't care how much pressure it gets, if you have access to that much land you can find a mature buck or two. Once you have that kind of freedom dealing with 200 acres and property lines kind of sucks. Unless of course you have 200 acres of prime real estate loaded with bucks, then I might be tempted to hunt it, but those aren't cheap or easy to come by.
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:24 am

I have found some of the better hunting is on the public land. With some of these larger tracts, you are not limited to property lines as you would with a private 40 acre section. I have seen that a lot of the private land will get more pressure than some of those areas in the public areas. A lot of times a big buck is seen in late summer and all the people that have access to the fields were that buck is seen, tend to hang stands, trim lanes, put out trail cameras. I think the main tip off to these bucks is when people position trail cameras on the trails they expect that deer to be coming to. I know Dan touched on this on the Marsh Bucks video. But just look at the trail camera sales and stand sales right around August at your local sporting goods store. Don't get me wrong, a lot of deer are shot on field edges every year, but I think those older bucks start smelling all that activity that wasn't there all summer and survival mode kicks in.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:28 am

PLB, I am joining you.

Not by choice, but since I am moving to PA. I have no other option. But maybe this was that final kick in the rear I needed to go full on Beast style.

That said I am still planning on taking a week+ to come back to Wi to hunt the first week in November. I am done with gun hunting WI I believe. Dad mentioned a few weeks ago how he really has no interest in it no more. The only reason I kept gun hunting the barren wolf country we plauge ourselves to is because I didn't want to leave him hunting just by him. My brother has and had no qualms about doing that but I wouldn't bail on the old man. I have missed out on sooooooooo many good hunting opportunities just to hang with pops. If he isn't in, then I guess my WI gun deer days are over for a spell.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your up coming season. Best of luck!!!
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”