Public land + recurve=adventure!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Public land + recurve=adventure!

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue May 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Years ago I purchased a recurve bow for my dad shortly after he and my mother divorced. He never took to bowhunting or hunting for that matter so I just kept the bow and never really shot it. Well about two months ago I just started playing around with it and have slowly become addicted to shooting the trad bow. I guess you could say the call of the wild hit me. I cannot really explain it, it just feels right.

Well I am going to go for it with the recurve this year. I like to commit to things and follow through. The time is now and I am looking forward to arrowing my first recurve trad deer this year!

solocam88
500 Club

Re: Public land + recurve=adventure!

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I got my first longbow this year and your right it is very addicting. Good luck.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Good luck. A kill with a trad bow would be very rewarding.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue May 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks guys. Magic, I plan on being accurate out to 20 yards come hunting season. I am not going to use the recurve as an excuse for not killing a deer. If I fail it is on me.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed May 05, 2010 12:20 am

Sounds like on heck of a goal!!! Awesome! Cant wait to see how it goes for ya! 8-)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 am

Good Luck! I think 20 yards or under is a very smart goal! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 05, 2010 4:43 am

Good luck with the stick and string..
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed May 05, 2010 6:45 am

I know the feeling. I started carving longbows 20 years ago. The process of choosing a stave, carving it out, shaping, fitting, tuning, and then finally hunting with a new bow is very fulfilling. Still have my first self-made longbow. It still pulls at 50-some lbs., but is a little out of tune. Learning to shoot a compound bow took some getting use to after having only shot trad. I may try for trad again in the near future...
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 08, 2010 1:08 am

I have great memories of hunting public land with a recurve when I first began bowhunting- and I was very successful with the weapon. I, along with a number of my hunting compadres, have been tossing the idea of going back to using a recurve around for a number of years now. I still have the recurve from my youth, and pull it out every once in a while and reminisce.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat May 08, 2010 2:34 pm

SB--I didn't even plan on hunting with the recurve when I first pulled it out and started shooting it. It just happened.....I feel compelled to my very nature to take a recurve out and hunt with it this year. I understand the implications. I have worked so hard to get better at getting on bigger bucks and realize that my choice of using a recurve will limit some of my possibilities. But I will do what I have always done in the woods, adapt and focus.

I cannot wait til I hit the woods with the wood bow. I have been putting hours a day into my shooting.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 pm

NatureBoy wrote:I know the feeling. I started carving longbows 20 years ago. The process of choosing a stave, carving it out, shaping, fitting, tuning, and then finally hunting with a new bow is very fulfilling. Still have my first self-made longbow. It still pulls at 50-some lbs., but is a little out of tune. Learning to shoot a compound bow took some getting use to after having only shot trad. I may try for trad again in the near future...

Thats pretty cool 8-) DO you have any pics?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 08, 2010 11:20 pm

virginiashadow wrote:I understand the implications. I have worked so hard to get better at getting on bigger bucks and realize that my choice of using a recurve will limit some of my possibilities. But I will do what I have always done in the woods, adapt and focus.

Excellent- this is as it should be, an understanding of your hunting goal and the effort it takes to get there. When you get your buck this fall you can reflect on the high level of achievement you obtained by challenging yourself in this way. 8-)
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed May 12, 2010 5:11 am

PredatorTC wrote:Thats pretty cool 8-) DO you have any pics?

Hey no, I don't...good point. I've never taken pictures! Don't know why. But I will now :lol:. Thanks for the suggestion.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 am

You know my feelings Brett. ;) Looking forward to some story's and pics buddy!!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 am

Schultzy wrote:You know my feelings Brett. ;) Looking forward to some story's and pics buddy!!

I am going for it. I keep running hunting scenarios through my head and envision myself with a recurve in hand....I then try to get a gauge of what type of buck I will be hunting and if by using the recurve that I will lower my personal standards. I cannot get my brain to flip over and accept anything other than the same quality of buck I was trying to track down with the compound. So I may come up empty handed in the buck world, but I will not leave the woods empty handed. Heck, 2 of the 3 good bucks I saw last year I had within 10 yards...one I shot and couldnt find even with a tracking dog, and the other I shot and killed. So IT can be done and I am looking forward to all the hard work and discipline that I must demonstrate from now through the hunting season. KILL!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”