Public land + recurve=adventure!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: Public land + recurve=adventure!

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu May 13, 2010 12:42 pm

PredatorTC wrote: Still have my first self-made longbow. It still pulls at 50-some lbs., but is a little out of tune. Learning to shoot a compound bow took some getting use to after having only shot trad. I may try for trad again in the near future...

Thats pretty cool 8-) DO you have any pics?

Here's the first one I made. It is an elm stave. Made the arrows for it too, including the broadhead, and tied the turkey feathers on with sinew. Was sure proud of this bow...
bow.JPG

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri May 14, 2010 1:10 am

virginiashadow wrote:Thanks guys. Magic, I plan on being accurate out to 20 yards come hunting season. I am not going to use the recurve as an excuse for not killing a deer. If I fail it is on me.
I wanted to comment on your post here Brett before but forgot. You better be prepared for some disappointment and frustration and I'm not talking about wounding animals and such. It's going to happen allot more then It did with your wheels, It comes with the territory. When you do get these frustrations and let downs It's tough on a guy. They don't happen just a few times but allot of times, that's If you stick with It. When you do finally arrow that deer or whatever your hunting and recover It, It makes It that much more special and rewarding. I haven't owned a compound since I was 20 years old. As you already know I've been hunting strictly with a recurve for 16 years this year and every deer and bear I've shot seems just as rewarding as the very 1st one I got 15 years ago. It's an awesome feeling my friend. Don't fool yourself though, your up for one of a challenge here. You remind me of Jeff with your mind set of getting something done so I'm sure you'll succeed just as he did last year. Get er done bud!! Looking forward to the text this fall when you put one down!! You better not forget or I'll be :evil: !! ;)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri May 14, 2010 1:23 am

bow.JPG

Some year I hope do this exact thing Natureboy!! Great stuff!! Have you arrowed anything with this bow yet?
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri May 14, 2010 1:57 am

Schultzy wrote:Have you arrowed anything with this bow yet?

The year I made it (1990) I shot some small game, including a skunk, which I regret. Never deer hunted with it though.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri May 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Schultzy wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:Thanks guys. Magic, I plan on being accurate out to 20 yards come hunting season. I am not going to use the recurve as an excuse for not killing a deer. If I fail it is on me.
I wanted to comment on your post here Brett before but forgot. You better be prepared for some disappointment and frustration and I'm not talking about wounding animals and such. It's going to happen allot more then It did with your wheels, It comes with the territory. When you do get these frustrations and let downs It's tough on a guy. They don't happen just a few times but allot of times, that's If you stick with It. When you do finally arrow that deer or whatever your hunting and recover It, It makes It that much more special and rewarding. I haven't owned a compound since I was 20 years old. As you already know I've been hunting strictly with a recurve for 16 years this year and every deer and bear I've shot seems just as rewarding as the very 1st one I got 15 years ago. It's an awesome feeling my friend. Don't fool yourself though, your up for one of a challenge here. You remind me of Jeff with your mind set of getting something done so I'm sure you'll succeed just as he did last year. Get er done bud!! Looking forward to the text this fall when you put one down!! You better not forget or I'll be :evil: !! ;)

Steve, I really appreciate these types of posts. I want to let you know I can be a real stubborn sob. :) Like in 2005 I told myself mature buck or bust...I did not shoot a deer all year because no mature bucks came within range and I did not even shoot a doe because I did not want to put any pressure on the land I was hunting. 2006 I told myself the same thing, this time I at least arrowed a couple of does...still I did not get a big buck within range, only smaller ones so I did not shoot. So no buck in 2006. So as you can see I can be very stubborn and commited. I enjoy the challenge, the solitude, and the hard work. I had to actually lower my standards in 2007 because I just wasn't a good enough mature buck hunter to consistently get on bigger bucks...and all the hard work paid off as I killed a 6 and 8 pointer that year.

My point is, when I get commited and stubborn I relish the hardwork involved, knowing that killing a good deer in a tough environment, using a primitive weapon is awesome. I have experienced humble pie more times than I can count in the deer woods and I expect this year to be no different. I am just older and wiser. :) Again, thank you for your post....it is real and I appreciate the insight.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri May 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Great reply Brett!! You've got character my friend!! 8-)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:29 am

Trad bows will do strange things to you. Next you will be using plaids instead of industry camo and digging holes and stacking brush instaed of climbing trees. Been there done that! It does bring out the inner essence of what hunting means to you. I love the smell of tapering a good cedar shaft and the sound of a two-blade head being drawn across a wet-stone.
I currently own a compound, recurve and a longbow. I like the longbow the best, but am the most efficent with the compound. Not rocket science, just eaiser to aim and shoot modern mechanical equipment. I try to use all of them to some extent. Depends on shot situation and my personal mood at the time. You will love it!
PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm

VS, i got into traditional archery about 6 years ago. i will say there is no feeling like shooting a trad bow with the perfectly spined arrow, having it go exactly where you are concentrating. I sold my compound and went traditional only for about 3 years and i missed about 4 deer with my martin hunter recurve. after those 4 hard lessons i vowed to never shoot at another deer unless i knew 100% the arrow was going where i wanted it too. i had a couple "gimme" shots offered to me at nice deer that i didn't take because i wasn't in "the zone." it finally paid off a few years ago in late october when i scored on a fat 3.5 year old doe. i remember that shot more than any shot i've ever taken because my instincts were so honed, i couldnt miss, and it felt perfect. what a feeling :) now days i hunt with both a compound and a recurve, it just depends on how i feel that day. but nothing beats late season with a lone wolf on your back and a stick in your hand!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:39 pm

I am very excited by the prospects of the current season. I hear you on your lessons learned. I am trying to replicate all the hunting situations I expect to encounter so I can be as prepared as possible. I will not quit even if it gets difficult.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”