Morning set ups in big woods, no ag....

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Morning set ups in big woods, no ag....

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:38 am

For me it's not too difficult finding good evening spots in big woods country. Morning spots are trickier though. You run the risk of spooking deer if you set up too close to the food source. Also that buck more than, likely will come thru in the dark. The last few seasons I haven't hunted many mornings until pre rut. However the right morning with the right moon phase I think can be real good. Just curious what other big woods hunters look for in a good morning spot?? Have any of you had success outside of the rut in the mornings?? Anyone feel free to share your observations!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Re: Morning set ups in big woods, no ag....

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:08 am

Most of my morning stuff relies heavily on what kind of access I have and a little guesswork. I generally wait for a good moon day, take my best guess at what route/routes a buck might take to his bed and usually hunt the beds where my wind and access won't cross paths with the where I hope the buck will return. I can't say I have had a ton of success as the deer seemed to move by me in the dark even on a moon day but it was pretty exciting being close to a buck bedding area and having some deer in close. If it ever all comes together I think it would be an awsome hunt but there will probably be a ton of trial and error. Very likely some spots I try out in the morning won't work as well as others so it will take some time to sort all that out.
ringojr

Unread postby ringojr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:31 am

i have been hunting up in Jackson county WI the last 8 years. This has been been one of the hardest areas for me to hunt i have been down in farm country where at least you will see deer. form some reason up here though they just are not using the same trails it is a big guessing game. I have set up camara's up here and get a few pics 1 day then maybe again in 3 or 4 days. just a different type of hunting. besides acorns what else do you guys look for in big woods? there are 1000s of acres up here and just do not no where to begin. :oops:
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:34 am

The only time I have had good success with it is when the bedding area is far enough away from the feeding area. If theyre feeding and bedding on the same ridge, good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:17 am

Right in the bedding area...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:56 am

jlh42581 wrote:The only time I have had good success with it is when the bedding area is far enough away from the feeding area. If theyre feeding and bedding on the same ridge, good luck.

X2! You have to be far enough away from the feeding area. Like Dan said, right in the bedding area. I hate bumping deer in the dark!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:47 am

I don't hunt bigwoods much anymore but when I did there always seemed to be lots of deer movement between 9-10 A.M. especially earlier in the season before the rut. Not sure why this is but it was always very consistant. Most guys only hunt the first few hours so they never experience it. I always found it was worth the patience to put in a few extra hours in the morning.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:35 am

Dewey wrote:I don't hunt bigwoods much anymore but when I did there always seemed to be lots of deer movement between 9-10 A.M. especially earlier in the season before the rut. Not sure why this is but it was always very consistant. Most guys only hunt the first few hours so they never experience it. I always found it was worth the patience to put in a few extra hours in the morning.

I think the deer have learned in high pressured areas that they can get up and move around then without getting shot cause everyone is back at camp. My other theory is that maybe thats when the thermals really start to pick up but it wouldnt explain very well on a morning when its 70 and you walk out the door. Maybe you guys dont have those days.

Last season I had a day that I left the truck in the afternoon, middle of october it was reading almost 80. By the time I got the stand hung I was literally dripping sweat.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am

Morning spots are definitely harder than evening spots in big woods. I hate spooking deer on the way in so I pick easy access spots or wait until a little after light to walk in hoping for the best being carefull to take best route.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:48 am

Dewey wrote:I don't hunt bigwoods much anymore but when I did there always seemed to be lots of deer movement between 9-10 A.M. especially earlier in the season before the rut. Not sure why this is but it was always very consistant. Most guys only hunt the first few hours so they never experience it. I always found it was worth the patience to put in a few extra hours in the morning.

I seen a pretty nice buck in September in Minnesota north woods wandering around eating at around 11:00 am... Andrae always says he had great luck in the north woods late mornings. For those that don't know he started his hunting career in Wisconsins North woods. His 1st P&Y came from the Antigo area.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:50 pm

How long before sunrise do you think you would have to be set up in/near a suspected buck bedding area to have a shot?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

I have all but given up morning hunts outside of the rut. Very very few of my spots allow me to get into a position where I can access them without making all kinds of noise or bumping deer. I hate not hunting mornings, but I feel that I do more good by staying out rather than risking it. I have shot a few deer in the mornings with a bow, but my evening kills and sightings are WAY WAY higher.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:04 pm

ozzz wrote:How long before sunrise do you think you would have to be set up in/near a suspected buck bedding area to have a shot?

Personally I try to be in an hour before dawn outside the rut. I don't do many morning hunts in comparison to evenings.
KYBowhunter89

Unread postby KYBowhunter89 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 pm

jlh42581 wrote:The only time I have had good success with it is when the bedding area is far enough away from the feeding area. If theyre feeding and bedding on the same ridge, good luck.

This happens a lot where I hunt, too. So many oak ridges, so few bucks.

Seems like the bucks, outside of the rut, are usually bedded before daylight. I try to avoid hunting mornings up until around Oct 20. I start focusing on productive Oak flats with clear cuts near by and hunt on the downwind edge of them.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:54 pm

downwind side of scrape line intersections after a rain in the prerut/chase phases
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”