Am I Crazy

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Am I Crazy

Unread postby keb » Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Here is the deal, I have access to some decent private stuff, but find myself more intrested in scouting and hunting some public land. Does anyone else do this, I know my odds for sucess and to aviod pressure are better on the private but I really do not care about taking a animal there. So have I lost my mind????????

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Am I Crazy

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat May 01, 2010 11:15 pm

keb, Welcome to the Beast! No, you certainly aren't crazy. There's a lot of reasons some hunters prefer public land- some parcels allow room to roam over a great area, sometimes a piece of public will have less pressure than the adjacent private land, sometimes hunters don't want the hassle of knocking and asking on private for permission, etc.

With you having access to some decent private property, I'd be curious to hear your circumstances for preferring the public?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun May 02, 2010 1:00 am

On public I know what to expect.
Permission on private can have some suprises.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 am

I certainly like hunting the private lands I have access to, but I take a lot more pride in a buck coming from Public ground.
Welcome to the BEAST Keb! 8-)
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun May 02, 2010 3:22 am

I had never hunted public land before watching the Marsh DVD.Now it's pretty much all I want to hunt. I blame it on DAN for making the dvd :lol:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun May 02, 2010 5:52 am

Welcome keb. Yes you are crazy. :lol: Crazy like a lot of the people on the Beast. Crazy for the challenge and crazy for the immense gratification that comes from a harvest off public land. It doesn't get any better.

Gardner Swamp wrote:I had never hunted public land before watching the Marsh DVD.Now it's pretty much all I want to hunt. I blame it on DAN for making the dvd :lol:

Dan gets blamed for a lot of stuff like that. :D
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun May 02, 2010 7:46 am

Ive had the same feeling Keb. Sometimes when i am hunting on private, it feels like i am cheating. So i do a lot more public hunting. Whenever i used to shoot a good buck, people would sometimes wine and say that i only get deer because i hunt on good private land. When i hunt on the public land, i can tell them that my tree is your tree and my deer is your deer. :D
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun May 02, 2010 8:44 am

I must be crazy just spent 566.83 cents on a Iowa deer tag, to hunt public land had two points going in. (My reason is) I have only killed two public lands a 120 and a 130. Taken some bigger of private, but rember the two public lands ones like it just happended and the one hour and fourty five mintue drag was the most rewarding part of it. So I guess I am chasing that feeling.
futuredoc

Unread postby futuredoc » Sun May 02, 2010 3:06 pm

To each his own buddy, but I'm with you. I get to spend, or at least for the last 5 years, little time outside the hospital. I've found myself with access to 3 parcels of land so far in IN that are private, two in IL and 1 in IA. Don't really want anything to do with them because of what was mentioned before. When you kill a private land deer there's always that question of did I really outsmart a wise old deer or just kill one that's never been hunted before. I don't think hunting should be a competition, but I do take a lot of pride in being a true predator, something that most other hunters these days are not. One way I prove this to myself is to kill deer that others can't. The only way to do this is kill them on land others can hunt.

That being said, if I had more time, I'd hunt it all. Just don't get much time in the woods these days. Got to quit shooting does too, but my wife and I love the taste of deer so much I can't let the things walk. Got to sit in the stand on five occasions last year; all public. Shot two does, gave an 8 a haircut, let a 4 walk and struck out one night. I've got a ways to go, but pretty good I'd say for an MD that's all but had his claws taken away, and I'd never seen any of the places prior to next fall. You all will hear more from me when i get out of these walls a little more - that I'll promise you.

Kendall
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun May 02, 2010 11:44 pm

keb wrote:...(I) rember the two public lands ones like it just happended and...So I guess I am chasing that feeling.

Makes sense to me. If private doesn't give you that sense of satisfaction, by all means pursue "that feeling" on public.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 03, 2010 1:19 am

I don't think hunting should be a competition

Very true... I think to many people look at it that way. Instead of locking up the wildlife in one area so one person can "buy" his way to the top of a "competition" with all the other hunters. We should be introducing more people to hunting, teaching them ethics, and sharing the knowledge we have learned over years of pursuit.
When making a decision, it should be governed by ones heart, rather than greed or competition... Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with friendly competition, but when it causes a person to spend all his money, lose friends, and be secretive, it should also make that person weigh whether or not its worth it...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 am

I've had these same feelings about private land for a long time! I have access to some awesome private spots and will continue to hunt them but I will always love hunting public land! It's where I learned to hunt and where my kids will too! I still hunt public land almost exclusively except during the Rut where I have hunted private land since 2004. I have taken good bucks on both and have had many heartbreaks on both! :cry: I seem to recall the public land opportunities a little more though ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue May 11, 2010 11:04 am

You people are crazy ;) I'd rather hunt private land any day of the week.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Public land for me is not State owned land but private property that I have to share with many other hunters. So I figure my posting here was justified as I know what it's like to hunt with lots of pressure. I am venturing outside my walls a little, did some scouting on state land this past winter, the bummer is there is nothing close to my area of the state.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed May 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Indianahunter wrote:private property that I have to share with many other hunters

It's also pretty ironic when private land has more pressure on it than the public land that's adjacent to it- doesn't happen often but sometimes circumstances create that scenario.

Casper wrote:You people are crazy I'd rather hunt private land any day of the week

No one thinks I'm crazy, but people keep telling me, "You ain't Right!" I've heard this so often I started paying attention to the circumstances surrounding someone stating that to me. I just get more confused, because I can't recall answering a question or making a statement where I might have been in error? People just keep walking up to me out of nowhere, and without me uttering a word I'll get the "You ain't Right!" from them. Maybe they have ESP and are anticipating me saying something that's incorrect?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”