flooded timber and low land marsh

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

flooded timber and low land marsh

Unread postby Brad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm

How does everyone hunt these area's where it isn't good firm ground like the hardwoods have but it isn't cat tails too. I am mostly referring to those spots that have hardwoods in them however they are relatively open, and the ground is usually always moist and sometimes under water depending on rain fall etc. I imagine most avoid these spots as they are not really a transition line, and it could be hard to pinch down the deer enough for a good shot in range, but I could see where these spots could work too under certain circumstances. I imagine it would be a spot you wouldn't see many big bucks during day light hours for the most part.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: flooded timber and low land marsh

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:37 am

Every situation is different... I hunted a large buck that lived on an island in flooded timber you can compare what your looking at to marsh's, swamps or farms, with similar bedding.
If you really want to know whats going on in there... There is only one way to find out. Dive in and scout it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

If you are able to locate a thicket somewhere inside the flooded timber or lowland marsh, there is certainly potential for buck bedding. Floodplain thickets can be great locations for bedded bucks in many instances where security for the deer is in short supply.

Scouting and putting down the boot leather will help determine the potential of the areas you are looking at- good luck!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:If you are able to locate a thicket somewhere inside the flooded timber or lowland marsh, there is certainly potential for buck bedding. Floodplain thickets can be great locations for bedded bucks in many instances where security for the deer is in short supply.

Scouting and putting down the boot leather will help determine the potential of the areas you are looking at- good luck!

X2, these spots can be difficult to scout from the computer with aerials/topo.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 am

I hunt hill country but have one place I call the swamp. The area is the back waters of a lake and the creek that feeds it. This bottom land floods several times a year and is covered by sycamore trees and cock-a-burrs. At times there is a lot of rubs and deer sign, sometimes there is nothing, its weird. Over the years I have taken a few deer in the swamp. I have never really figured it out I just hunt it occasionally for something different plus it's close to home.
Like previously said you just have to scout. Several years ago during the middle of archery season I walked this area after I got home from work. I was sneaking through some thick stuff a nice buck stood up so I kneeled down and watched. There he was 20 yards and me watching, I left my bow at home; what was I thinking? Live and Learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 pm

In a situation where you have a lot of area like Brad described but also a lot of marsh mixed in is it a fairly safe assumption that the bucks are still going to bed on the transition lines and islands? I've been trying to narrow down areas in this large marsh that I think would be worth a closer look but there's lots of sign all over

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”